[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which was better- Mali or Songhai?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: Empires_of_Western_Sudan_Map.jpg (24KB, 450x413px) Image search: [Google]
Empires_of_Western_Sudan_Map.jpg
24KB, 450x413px
Which was better- Mali or Songhai?
>>
>>2319834
800 years of history boiled into one chapter in every history text book
>>
ghana
>>
>>2319837
>We should be interested in thing because we just should.
>>
>>2319869
No I am saying it is kind of stupid that every world history textbook (In America) has the exact same chapter on them. I find it funny that I have read the same thing about like 5 times in grade and high-school.
>>
>>2319876
>tfw never learned about them until I was in highschool when playing a strategy game
>>
>>2319886
Weird I thought American text books were relatively uniform.
>>
>>2319892
I'm not American.
>>
>>2319876
It's an unfortunate fact that periphery states that didn't really directly influence the West get ignored, but it's hardly a malicious thing. For most people, there's not enough time to learn all of world history, so you have to save time on the points that matter - namely, the events that are closest to them.
>>
>>2319848
The Almoravids say hi.
>>
>>2319899
I'm not refuting any of that honestly I am just saying I didn't need to see five times. I understand that countries focus on their own history more than other so the other parts of the world become concise summaries. I just think it is funny I read this same and I mean exactly the same chapter in 5, 7,8, 10 and 12 grade.
>>2319893
Ahhh sorry
>>
>>2319899
Completely understandable. My current interest in Africa lies primarily in West Africa. I may delve into Southern Africa on the future. Like a lot if things, you pick and choose.
>>
File: reaction.jpg (61KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
reaction.jpg
61KB, 350x335px
>>2319834
Europe.
>>
>>2319837
calling it an empire without even inventing the wheel and still living in mudhuts
>>
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c3/Flag_of_France.svg/1500px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
>>
File: a14.jpg (88KB, 600x709px) Image search: [Google]
a14.jpg
88KB, 600x709px
>>
>>2320569
Nobody apart from the Mayans and random Central Eurasian steppeniggers "invented" the wheel.
>>
Songhai is pretty annoying. They always resist my attempt at conversion.
>>
File: Gustaf Bolinder Kano 2.jpg (44KB, 523x800px) Image search: [Google]
Gustaf Bolinder Kano 2.jpg
44KB, 523x800px
>>2319837
>>2319876
I hate that Mali and Songhai are treated like the height of West African civilization. Their whole claim to fame is having lots of gold and having one city with a famous name.

Benin, Ashanti, the Yoruba and the Hausa are way more interesting.
>>
>>2320569
>muh wheels
do you guys ever get tired of this shit? No great empire ever invented the wheel, because it was invented a handful of times.
>>
>>2321481
that's supposed to be impressive? it looks like rank of squalor. The height of Negro "civilization."
>>
>>2319834
Mali because it survives to this day
>>
Ghana because literally none of it is included in modern day Ghana
Just like Benin
What were they thinking?
>>
File: Gustaf Bolinder Kano 7.jpg (67KB, 1000x660px) Image search: [Google]
Gustaf Bolinder Kano 7.jpg
67KB, 1000x660px
>>2322762
I was posting a picture of a Hausa city because it seemed relevant to the thread, not trying to impress some obtuse manchild. And how exactly does it look like 'squalor'? It's a wide, straight street filled with people and lined with fairly nice buildings. Maybe you consider puddles on the side of a road to be 'squalor'? I know you subhuman /pol/lacks just see what you want to see, but at least try to be coherent.
>>
>>2320569
Do you know whats an empire at least?
>>
>>2320569
AFAIK they definitely had wheels, as well as horses and metal working, checkmate.
>>
>>2322892
Modern day Ghana is named such for political and nationalistic reasons. Last I checked, it's yet to be proved that the population of modern day Ghana are the descendants of the ancient Ghanese people.
>>
>>2319834
Semi-related question for you anons: anyone know of a good book or two on West African history? I never got a chance to study it in uni, and this thread has sparked my curiosity.
>>
>>2323960
It's a bit old so it misses a lot of recent archaeological evidence (which is very important considering West African archaeology is relatively new), but the UNESCO history of Africa is available online.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.