[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ancient Cities&Kingdoms on the Silk Road

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

Can we talk about the Silk Road?
>>
>>2315972
what does this have to do with memes?
>>
File: 1471346566375.jpg (56KB, 540x361px) Image search: [Google]
1471346566375.jpg
56KB, 540x361px
>that feel when a multi-religious and culturally interesting Central Asia will never exist again
>that feel when all the powerful merchant cities of the Silk Road are now nothing but dust or buried beneath the hideous tower dwellings of Russian invaders
>that feel when what was once once of the prosperous regions on Earth is now such a backwater that to hear news from it once a year is a miracle

A day will come when sacred Troy shall perish, And Priam and his people shall be slain.
>>
>>2316086
without the silk road it was always destined to be a dusty shithole, anon
>>
>>2315972
This myth about non-water hauling...
>>
>>2315972
Yeah sure.We can talk about it
>>
>>2316086
Fucking european explorers
>>
File: 1432847442029.jpg (30KB, 358x350px) Image search: [Google]
1432847442029.jpg
30KB, 358x350px
>>2316086
I feel this so much

>tfw you will never be a Sogdian tradesman plying the oasis city-states of the Tarim Basin and banging your qt Chinese waifu

suffering
>>
>>2315972
How did the Chinese keep the method of silk production secret for so long?
>>
>>2316930
It wasnt actually: Persianates and Byzantines were churning silk by the 700s or so.

However the Chinese maintained superiority due to the quality and exoticity of silk they traded westwards. In addition to other products such as Ceramics, Tea, Medicines & Drugs, and so on.

Besides the Silk Route isnt entirely powered by China alone, everyone along the route contributed to it.
>>
>>2315972
How about detailed description of any trade trip? Kinda:
1 day: we gather together - 3 traders, 10 servants, 12 warriors. We have 30 horses, food - 4000 kg, water - 200 litres. 100 km passed before night. Camp was assembled near village V.
2 day: we passed 120 km. Spent 7 kg of food, 30 l of water. Night in hotel of town T.
>>
File: Grand_Trunk_Road.jpg (115KB, 748x377px) Image search: [Google]
Grand_Trunk_Road.jpg
115KB, 748x377px
>>2315972
>You will never travel up the Grand Trunk Road, through Kabul, and find your way into Merv, where you follow the rest of the Silk Road.
>You will never meet huge number of different peoples on your journey following religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Sikhism, and Christianity.
>You will never look down from the Roof of the World, the Karakorum and Hindu Kush, and see a desolate valley beneath you

Following both roads would've been one hell of a journey. Imagine going from Europe, through the Silk Road to China, sailing back around through South East Asia and back to Calcutta, where you follow the Grand Trunk Road up to Kabul. From their, follow the Silk Road up and back to Europe.
>>
>>2316104
Yeah what do people honestly believe Central Asia is good for?
>>
Is Alexander's Lost World any good or is it just more covert tolerance propaganda.
I saw Journeys to the Ends of the Earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0mwtyFZRY&list=PLlYHSlss3wybdP0WUJgbKMNDUmLI14s6G
>>
China has been making efforts to revitalize overland trade routes. This is for making them less reliant on trans-pacific shipping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Belt,_One_Road
>>
>>2316086
>that feel when all the powerful merchant cities of the Silk Road are now nothing but dust or buried beneath the hideous tower dwellings of Russian invaders

Huh, I always thought of the Mongols as the primary destroyers of Asian cities and cultures.
>>
>>2317548
But long-distance overland shipping is inherently inefficient. It's not about infrastructure so much as physics. Moving lots of heavy stuff takes way less energy when you're travelling over water.
>>
>>2317612
He was referring to the Soviets I expect. Lots of old cities like Samarkand were built over by the Soviets with shitty architecture.
>>
File: Russian troops taking Samarkand.jpg (269KB, 1280x703px) Image search: [Google]
Russian troops taking Samarkand.jpg
269KB, 1280x703px
>>2317612
They did.
But at least under Timurlan the core of their empire was in central asia as well and he rebuild some of their largest cities again in even greater splendor.
>>
>>2317223
breh you probably wouldn't have gone on the whole route.

You would have specialized in buying/selling along one particular shorter route that you had experience on.

Hard to say though, but I can't imagine one person doing a huge stretch would be economically efficient.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.