[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about the Dacians, /his/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: dacians.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dacians.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
Zalmoxis and his religion in particular.
>>
>>2310562
They were probably a first wave of Germanic expansion. They are also referred to as the Getae, likely a cognate with the Geats and the later Goths. The Zalmoxis religion is very interesting. It seems to have a lot of the elements of Christianity but is much older. Perhaps the Zalmoxis story was the inspiration for the Christ story, or perhaps it was just a coincidence, but either way the effect was that the Goths in Dacia were among the first populations to convert to Christianity en masse.

The Goths and Geats are a fascination of mine. I recommend reading Jordanes Getica, which discusses the Getae/Dacians.
>>
>>2310585

They are not Germanic though, right?

Heck, southern Germany wasn't German at the time. Celts lived in what is southern Germany now.
>>
>>2310602
Hard to tell. Most sources seem to say they are related to the Goths, who are certainly Germanic. What is preserved of the Dacian language is not particularly informative on placing its pedrigee in the IE family, so that doesn't help much. Jordanes,

We do know that that area was among the first colonized by the Germanic expansion, via the Goths, implying a certain ease of access to Germanic people. If it happened once it could have happened before, basically. Considering the Dacians descriptions (fierce warriors, strong and tall, light skinned and haired, with blue eyes) they were likely Germanic, and not what the Romans considered Germanic (ruddy celts) , but our current conception of Germanic (nords).
>>
>>2310683
>Jordanes,
and other historians seem to agree that they were related to the goths who came later.
>>
>>2310562
The Jews stole the story of Zalmoxis and corrupted it into a weapon called Christianity to use against their Roman Oppressors.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.