[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If so much of the African diaspora comes from Congo, why are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: slave trade map.jpg (161KB, 1024x654px) Image search: [Google]
slave trade map.jpg
161KB, 1024x654px
If so much of the African diaspora comes from Congo, why are West African traditions so predominant among black people in the Americas?

The dances, the gods, and the music all seem to be from modern-day Nigeria
>>
>>2305371
Because African culture was lost in 2 generations and the African customs that are """"preserved"""""" are just niggers larping after 5 minutes of google research
>>
>>2305450
You know nothing of african cultures influence in latin america. Many of the slaves that came with the Spaniards were from there. Like the black slave who rebelled in the 1500s had a muslim name and was probably from west africa.
>>
>>2305450
That may be true for african americans because protestants didnt allow syncretism but in latin america yoruba syncretized with catholicism hundreds of years ago before the internet or the advent of modern technology.
>>
>>2305465
What real African customs are left in Latin America? Dominicans are culturally closer to Spaniards in all their customs than to Africans. The same goes for Cubans and people from Costa Rica. The only countriea in that region that might have conserved African customs are Colombia and Brazil. And the clergy made sure to destroy most pagan elements from their """"culture"""""". Then things like Quansa or however you write it is just LARPing
>>
>>2305487
As far as I know the Spanidh and Portuguese clergy tried to eliminate as many pagan customs as possible. They couldn't achieve it in Mexico as the population and the myth of Guadalupe was huge but in slave colonies they were extremelly succesful
>>
>>2305499
I can only personally speak for Cuba since my family is originally from there. They were not successful in cuba because it is and was very popular. My grandmother has stories about the blacks using sea shells for divination, faith healing, sacrificing chickens, etc.
>>
>>2305371
Overall 25% of USA slaves were Congolese

25% were Senegambians/Mande

10% Akan

And the rest was a mix of everything in between, mostly Nigerians
>>
>>2305371
Implying there's any difference between niggers and that it matters.
>>
There are some Kongo traditions; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-American_religion#List_of_traditions

But maybe it's because the Kongo were already Catholic, so in the Portuguese and Spanish Americas they were more easily 'integrated' into mainstream Catholicism, whereas West Africans who had their own organized religions retained more of their pagan culture under a Christian veneer. I'm just guessing though.
>>
Most of the Congolese are part of a Bantu ethnic group that migrated down from Western Africa after agriculture took off
>>
>>2305371
I thought most black americans descend from yoruba people?
>>
>>2305450
Afro Americans still preserved a lot of old customs here and there.
>>
>>2305450
/pol/ users need a 6-hour cooldown before posting on blue boards
>>
>>2305494
>it's just coincidence that 19th century ethnographies of Cuba and Brazil found religious, musical, and culinary traditions identical to those of West Africa
>>
>>2305578
Interesting answer
>>
>>2305643
Wishful thinking by a single Yoruba heritage-fag
>>
>>2305371
Oops?
>>
>>2306648
I feel the same, both /pol/ and the shitlibs obsess over niggers while niggers are completely irrelevant to world history.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.