[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You ARE a psychological egoist, right /his/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: psychological egoism.jpg (94KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
psychological egoism.jpg
94KB, 960x720px
You ARE a psychological egoist, right /his/?
>>
>>2305237
Our egoism is not limited to psychology.
>>
>>2305242
...what?

Everything that we do IS our psychology, by definition.
>>
File: selfishness.jpg (34KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
selfishness.jpg
34KB, 450x300px
I wish I had posted a more attention-grabbing OP pic.
>>
SOMEONE REPLY TO MY FUCKING THREAD PLEASE
>>
Duh.
>>
>>2305598
I was hoping for more of an argument than that.

I know there are lots of moralfags out there who think altruism is an innate quality. I want to tell them how they're wrong.
>>
>>2305664
>>>/facebook/
>>
>>2305675
I thought the whole fucking point of this board is to have rational fucking discussion you fucking moron?
>>
>>2305664
I would think it's pretty straight forward. When people do things, they do so for some kind of self-interested reason, whether it be for money, pride, self-preservation, happiness, social standing, etc. Nobody does something from which they've nothing to gain; it is simply unwise to do so.
>>
>>2305735
I'm surprised that you agree with me straight away.

I was having a discussion on /pol/ about this last night, and people were FERVENT in believing we have some innate capacity to act morally.

People often say: "but what about a soldier that jumps on a grenade to save his comrades!" (of course the answer is, the psychological appeal of honour, and the fact that he agreed to be trained as a soldier in exchange for a salary)

And they often say: "surely we've evolved to be altruistic?" (for which they have no evidence. Whereas all evidence of human behaviour suggests that we still act ultimately in our self-interest in every single situation)

Just surprised no one on here is taking these positions, because they're very common.
>>
>>2305664
Why would psychological egoism being a correct description of human behaviour contradict the notion that altruism is a quality innate to human beings?
That all actions are selfish including altruistic ones doesn't mean that people don't take altruistic actions. I think most people have innate qualities that lead them to sometimes take altruistic actions, unless you want to argue that altruistic actions are not actually altruistic because they're ultimately selfish but that's just autism.
>>
>>2305687
Sorry, OP. We agree with you. You could always find some other topic to discuss.
>>2305771
/pol/ has accepted too many (((Reddit))) immigrants and other types of kiddies, in part due to the election and the growing resentment about "PC culture".
>>
>>2305664
I don't see why it wouldn't be. Altruism is REQUIRED for the formation of a complex society.
Doesn't mean that altruism can't help you but the effect of being altruistic isn't always immediate or visible.
>>
>>2305664
>I know there are lots of moralfags out there who think altruism is an innate quality. I want to tell them how they're wrong.
They're not wrong.

People do altruistic things for the personal benefit of happiness.
>>
File: image.jpg (311KB, 1062x804px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
311KB, 1062x804px
>>2305237
I'm an egoist.
But my ego is life. It's all connected I am the same life as a forest, I am the same life through out spacetime. I am also connected to non-living things, but they are not me, as life is where meaning comes from.
So I am an egoist, but people might see me as altruistic.
Look at all these interactions I have in just one of my countless, hetrarchial networks
>>
>>2305237
>Human beings ALWAYS act in pursuit of their self-interest
This is the most important redpill desu
>>
>>2305237
Substitute "gratification" for "self-interest" and I might agree.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.