[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Criticism of the Papacy in the Alexiad - Similar to later Reformer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

I've been reading The Alexiad, and I noticed that Anna Komnene does not bother to hide her hostility against the Papacy (specifically referring to Gregory VII and the Investiture Controversy).

This is just my own opinion, but her criticisms against the conduct of the Pope almost sound proto-Reformist: that is, most of what she says is familiar, because it is similar to what many leaders during the Reformation (as well as various groups aiming for reform that were declared "heretical" before then) criticized the Papacy for. She writes about the supreme irony of "the Pope clad in spiritual grace and evangelic peace started out for a civil war with all his energy and might [against Henry]; yes, he, the man of peace and the disciple of that Man of Peace!"

"For he [Pope Gregory VII] immediately summoned the Saxons and their Counts... and besides other enticements, promised to make them kings of the West, and thus won them over to his side to depose the King of the Germans. You see how ever-ready a hand the Pope had for laying hands on the heads of kings, unheeding St. Paul's advice 'Lay hands hastily on no man'.".

The rest of the passage basically details the corruption of the Papacy and its entanglement/obvious preoccupation with temporal rule and power., before resuming about Robert Guiscard's attempts at war with the ERE.

Very interesting.

t.not a Christcuck
>>
File: IMG_1242.png (60KB, 208x206px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1242.png
60KB, 208x206px
>>2300426
Too many words
>>
File: laughing_belmez_faces.jpg (87KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_belmez_faces.jpg
87KB, 620x465px
>>2300430
>complaining about having to read while browsing a board dedicated to an academic discipline
>>
>>2300649
>Dedicated to academic discipline.

You're new here aren't you.
>>
>>2300649
spooky
>>
File: cara de Belmez-la-pava.jpg (54KB, 300x437px) Image search: [Google]
cara de Belmez-la-pava.jpg
54KB, 300x437px
>>2301920
This board is dedicated to an academic discipline; it is not my fault that shitposters (like you) have ruined this place and made it so that the expectation is for one to post "may-mays" instead of actual discussion.

>>2302066
Aw, I think they're cute.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.