[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So the question of Greece

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Golden Age of Ancient Greece B.jpg (51KB, 788x379px) Image search: [Google]
Golden Age of Ancient Greece B.jpg
51KB, 788x379px
is it true that Greece stole all its science and philosophy from Egypt and the Near East and just put a greek omega stamp on it

thats what i have heard some people claim on /his

whats the truth here?
>>
>>2296263
in most cases, no. There have been influences in mathematics, for example, but they were advanced by them, not simply stolen
>>
>>2296263
After the Bronze age collapse Phoenicians largely opened up the path for near eastern influence on the Greeks with their trade routes. Prior to the Bronze age collapse, early Greeks like the Myceneans were influenced by the Minoans who in turn were influenced by Egypt.
>>
File: Galen.jpg (134KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Galen.jpg
134KB, 1200x800px
Depends on what you mean by "Greece". To an ancient Greek, "Greece" was anywhere that there were people speaking Greek. In Hellenistic and Roman times, that meant colonies all over the Black Sea and northern Mediterranean, as well as the ruling classes in Syria and Egypt.

What I'm saying is that "Greece" was pretty well the whole Mediterranean, linked by the lingua franca, Greek. It became one culture under Rome, and all educated Romans spoke Greek among the ruling class. Any educated person at that time might be called a "Greek", if he could write in the language understood by all educated people.
>>
>>2296756
>ethnicity didn't exist in the past myth
no.
>>
>>2296263
That's not true at all.
>>
Influenced, not stole.
>>
>>2296761
No one is saying ethnicity didn't exist, but the nationality "Greek", as we think of it today, with its geographic definition by a nation/state, definitely did not exist.

Calling someone "Greek" simply meant he spoke Greek.
>>
Greek mathematics was much more advanced than both Egyptian and Babylonian math

Egyptians tended to use math as a practical tool

The Greeks would think of math at a much more philosophical level than any civilization before them
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.