[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chinese Religion General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

>Heaven Worship was a monotheistic religion in China popular during the Shang and Zhou dynasties, adherents worshiped an entity or concept known as Tian (天 "sky"), or Shàngdì (上帝, "Lord on High") or Dì (帝,"Lord".
>Heaven Worship remained an orthodox state religion in China up until the 20th century.

I find it interesting that a monotheistic religion was overtaken by polytheistic religions, it seems like the opposite of what happened in Europe. Please discuss and share information about Chinese religion ITT.
>>
What are the main differences between the Taoist denominations?
>>
File: IMG_0301.jpg (248KB, 640x952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0301.jpg
248KB, 640x952px
>The Nestorian Stele is a Tang Chinese stele erected in 781 AD that documents 150 years of history of early Christianity in China.[1] It includes texts both in Chinese and in Syriac.
>>
Well, Chinese Heaven worship isn't exactly "monotheistic": Shangdi (Heaven) is considered to be the supreme creator deity in some traditions, but his worship wasn't particularly widespread, because he was considered too remote and alien from humans to even hear their prayers. Shangdi essentially delegated all his power to the various gods of the "Celestial Bureaucracy", and it was these deities who attended to the human world and mortal affairs, as well as the daily running of the cosmos. Only the Emperor worshipped Shangdi directly, and it was usually only through one annual sacrifice that he did.

Second is that Shangdi (Heaven) essentially came to mean the entire collective of the Celestial Bureaucracy in later eras, similarly how Elohim in Hebrew used to refer to the entire heavenly assembly and not to one deity in particular.

So I wouldn't call it strictly monotheistic.
>>
>Heaven worship
>monotheist

Judeo-Christians try to force these memes because they want god to be universal.

The Chinese worship, and still worship, absolutely a fuckton of gods. If you devoted your entire lifetime from tomorrow onward you still wouldn't be able to catalogue all of the vague river spirits and forest deities and spring gods and weather gods and ancestor worship crap in the south evolving over 3000 years.

Not a single part of it is monotheist and the emperors worshiped whoever the fuck they pleased depending on the era.
>>
>>2284974
Tell me more about Chinese Christianity
>>
File: IMG_0304.jpg (28KB, 580x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0304.jpg
28KB, 580x360px
>>2285067
>>
File: triad-mafia-gangsters[1].jpg (25KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
triad-mafia-gangsters[1].jpg
25KB, 440x330px
>>2285067
The Triads are supposedly partly descended from the Heavenly Kingdom of Peace, the heretical Christian movement that was the main force behind the Taiping Rebellion.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.