[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Battle of Tours

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: carolingian_map_full.jpg (577KB, 1036x766px) Image search: [Google]
carolingian_map_full.jpg
577KB, 1036x766px
What if the Franks lost?

Would the divide between "East and West" today be drastically different?

I think Europe and Middle East would be the "West" and "India and Pacific would be the "East"
>>
>>2282817
You overestimate the importance of this battle.
>>
>>2282817
Big mistake by the Muslims to not fully pacify Iberia before venturing into Gaul.

After this there were endless minor battles from the northern iberians against the Muslims.
>>
>>2282817
Nah, the west is just a euphemism for those countries that used to be strongly Christian and pretended to be the heirs of rome. I doubt that there'd be a conception of west if francia fell to the muslims. There'd be Dar-al-Islam, The middle kingdom, and The dharmic states. Who knows when america would be conquered and by whom.
>>
>>2282817

It was a raid and loot expedition. The area would be a little poorer off but nothing monumental would shift the east/west divide.

Although the heroic frankish defense of europe narrative changing to the barbaric hordes ravaging europe narrative might lead to some interesting minor chances.
>>
Literally nothing would be different if Martel survived the loss.

Umayyads were going to collapse soon anyways and Al Andalus wasn't even fully pacified. Put that together with the fact that their whole power structure was an untenable clusterfuck of backstabbing and ethnic tension and it's pretty clear that they had already reached their limit.
>>
>>2283154

There's actually some of it that's 'true'.

But the real unsung hero in that narrative is Duke Eudes of Aquitaine who was the one carrying out alone all the weight of preventing a consolidation of muslim operating bases (i.e actually capturing and holding significant ground and cities in southern France) for a decade before Martel bothered to assist, and continued to do just that after Martel fucked off to slay frisians or whatever. Which is why the muslim incursions turned out as succesful raids but not as succesful conquests except for a few places, before and after the meme battle of Poitiers.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.