[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was life before the internet actually like? Nobody seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1476090252578.jpg (120KB, 634x876px) Image search: [Google]
1476090252578.jpg
120KB, 634x876px
What was life before the internet actually like?

Nobody seems to remember, talk to boomers or gen xers and even they will have trouble explaining it.
>>
>>2281679
I'm a millennial but I remember. I went out more, drew a lot, watched tv, played with my legos, saw rented movies from blockbuster, went to the mall and park and weekend trips. Visited family at least every weekend. Oh and sega genesis.
>>
Everything having to do with information was a lot harder and more costly. If you wanted to find out a fact, you had to go down to the public library and look it up yourself in a book. You found out about things through newspapers and magazines, mostly. If you wanted to watch a movie you had to go down to the video store and rent it, or order it from a catalogue if the store didn't have a copy. If you wanted to hear a song you had to go down to the record store and buy the album. The internet just made all that faster and less expensive. You basically did the exact same things as today but had to haul your ass around and cough up money to do them. Besides that it didn't really change much. Having a smartphone was like the internet x2 since you didn't even have to go home to look something up now.
>>
>>2281679
I was happier then, that's what I remember
>>
File: file.png (11KB, 400x70px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
11KB, 400x70px
I remember

fuckin longass phonecalls with schoolmates just talking about shit

playing DOS videogames and edutainment
computers were novel enough (and my age probably had a lot to do with it too) that I could fuck around with screen savers for hours

staying up late then sneaking out to watch tv late at night

then the internet happened and in the transitionary period there'd be me going to the library or to the Sci/Tech museum where computer labs were set up and using them to play shitty java games etc (some of the fucking sites still exist/are maintained jesus christ)

then household internet became commonplace and I'd chat with friends on MSN. A couple of friends had geocities pages and then eventually livejournals. Myspace didn't really take off at my school.

eventually, facebook was a thing, and right as I was leaving for Uni so it worked out well timing wise.
>>
who /late 90s dialup AOL here/?

>tfw 90% of 4chan's current user base didn't know a world before Windows XP
>>
Try not using internet for about a week and see how was it
>>
>>2282125
I used dial up and windows 98 during the early to mid 2000's because I'm from eastern europe, kek.

Don't remember using it for anything other than looking up cheat codes for videogames.
>>
Google was practically unusuable prior to 2003.
>>
>>2282120
>longass phonecalls
This right here

I remember trying to explain what minutes were to my younger cousin
>You could only talk on the phone for x minutes
>But why didn't you just text
>>
>>2282120
>I could fuck around with screen savers for hours
Windows maze for life.
>>
File: the end.jpg (4KB, 125x115px) Image search: [Google]
the end.jpg
4KB, 125x115px
>>2282270
same here. I was Indian.
My dad used to compose emails in wordpad and then copy and paste them in his email composer because it was cheaper for him.

He also swore that Broadband internet was a scam and was made by evil foreigners to loot poor indians.Now he watches netflix.

I want to go back to those days.
>>
You couldn't just Google shit and read Wikipedia you had to look it up in a fucking book.

>A FUCKING BOOK

It was the Stone Age.
>>
>>2282125
Windows 95 nigga. I remember for internet I had to wait till my mom got off the phone.
>>
You looked shit up in encyclopedias. If I wanted to know about some subject I'd ask my mom to take me to the library and we'd get a book about it.

If I wanted to talk to someone I'd just go to their house and ring the doorbell to see if they were home.
>>
>>2281679
It was just life, but without the internet.
>>
>>2281679
>even they will have trouble explaining it.
I feel like this is a lazy bait to prompt a reply.
>>
I remember we didn't have a computer at our house so the only time I used a computer was at my mom's office, where she had some shitty old mac and I played Kid Pix.
>>
>>2282082
>you had to go down to the public library
I had a set of Encyclopedias, you know, books, you nearly say I used my own library when I was a kid.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.