[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Islamic World sparked the Renaissance meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: pepe.jpg (45KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
45KB, 570x487px
>so Europe, particulary Italians/Romans had no knowledge of classical Greece and Rome until Muslims translated the old works back into Europe

>hmmmm, i wonder what the fu*k the colliseum is, or the pantheon there, and all the tons of Roman Empire sh*t throughout rome, but they supposedly had no knowledge of these things

but we supposed to believe that they were ignorant until Muslims came..liberal education
>>
>>2280280
The Islamic world sparked the 12th century Renaissance and Scholasticism, which in turn helped spark the early Renaissance. Western Europe and the Byzantines had a fair bit of knowledge of the Classical world, they just did not consume, criticize, and build on it the way the Muslims were doing until the High Middle Ages.
>>
>>2280280

That's a misrepresentation. The Islamic world preserved classical knowledge that had been translated into Arabic until it was translated back into European languages during the Renaissance.

It wasn't so much that Muslims came along and taught anyone anything, they simply preserved European knowledge during the Christian Ages.
>>
>>2280329
So Europeans had no knowledge of the Greeks and Romans before Islamic translation
>>
>>2280334

I'm confused. What time period are you talking about and what do you mean by "no knowledge" across a diverse continent where modern communication was not possible?
>>
>>2280329
>>2280334
The Arabs had about the same access to Greek and Latin works as everyone else in the 8th century. The only difference was they went out of their way to acquire more and translate them in large numbers for their leisure and personal interest, rather than as an exercise in monastic discipline or bureaucratic education.

It's not that their efforts allowed Europe to recover anything, all these texts and much more could be found within their own libraries for the most part, but it instead gave Western European scholars a new way to approach them as more than they had been earlier.
>>
>>2280280
>Aristotle was uber important during the Middle Ages
>Europeans had no concept of him
wew
>>
>>2280350
Western Europeans after Western Rome fell

they lost all knowledge of Classical Greece/Rome
>>
>>2280376

Obviously the entire of Western Europe didn't lose all knowledge that the Greeks and Romans ever existed and I have never heard any serious person make any such claim.

Keep in mind this is the history board not the inflammatory and inaccurate twelve word statement board for retards.
>>
>>2280280
It's muslim propaganda mate, i don't know why it became popular in the west, the muslims destroyed more than they preserved

plus the Byzantine empire was right there, the very empire these mudslimes stole all their knowledge from

the renaissance is purely italian and it was spawned by the immense wealth accumulated by the north italian cities

they didn't "rediscover" ancient knowledge as in it was lost to them but now they found it thanks to the enlightened muslims. they simply didn't care about them, they were concerned with religion and the afterlife and only read ancient philosophers who wrote about subjects that interested them
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.