[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gifts from a timelord

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: beardedboyfucker.jpg (26KB, 507x676px) Image search: [Google]
beardedboyfucker.jpg
26KB, 507x676px
If I went back in time to BC Rome, what kind of weapons could I invent with contemporary knowledge and ancient resources that would benefit the republic militarily the most?
Extra credit for applying the same question to different civilizations and eras
>>
Electricity
>>
File: pagansonofabitch.jpg (31KB, 507x676px) Image search: [Google]
pagansonofabitch.jpg
31KB, 507x676px
Mooooooommmm, /his/ doesn't want to play with meeeee...
>>
what war are you trying to make them win that they didn't?
>>
>>2278216

Your knowledge of germs, disease, and preventive medicine would be more helpful than any weapon you could forge with "ancient resources."
>>
>>2278271
I'm asking about weaponry
>>2278258
they could win all of their battles with fewer casualties and be more ambitious with their conquests by having vastly superior weaponry than any other nation
>>
>>2278216
i would teach them about steam power, greeks already invented aeolipile so i would just prompt them to invent a steam machine of it.
>>
Fucking gunpowder. Saltpeter factories are easy to setup.
>>
>>2278421
ok. for firearms or just cannons? or grenades?
>>
>>2278557
Whatever you fancy, gunpowder has so many damn uses. You could even get creative and do something else with it, though I wouldn't know what. Gunpowder-powered blowgun? That's be like some kind of proto-gun I guess.
>>
>>2278557
>>2278654

Metallurgy would need to be way much more advanced compared to what they had for effective firearms or cannons. Rockets on the other hand would be possible though relatively ineffective, and bombs would help against fortifications during sieges.
>>
>>2278737
>Metallurgy would need to be way much more advanced compared to what they had for effective firearms or cannons

this was my concern. could they make the advancements needed just by being exposed to the knowledge of them?
>>
>>2278382
i assume you are also gonna innovate centuries of metalworking to make decent boilers, right?
And dismantle slavedom, to make it a more economically efficient alternatives than putting a bunch of captives to work.
Muh roman steam revolution is the biggest meme ive ever seen.
>>
>>2278779
>innovate centuries of metalworking to make decent boilers

what the flying fuck does this mean? what takes centuries? trial, error and learning what works? if you already know, what takes centuries? what technological hurdles are there?
>>
>>2278216
Given that Romans had easy access to sulfur, charcoal, and saltpeter you could easily get them gunpowder.
>>
>>2278737
>>2278743
>Metallurgy

A simple blast furnace using the Open Hearth Process was well within Rome's technological ability. Just this process alone would be transformative, suddenly all your iron can be steel cheaply and easily.
>>
>>2278982

Or just skip that and give them smokeless powder instead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poudre_B
>>
>>2278271
Why would they believe me tho?
How would I convince them I'm right
>>
I'd draw up a map of the world and hope the Aztecs and Maya can fight off the Romans enough to keep their culture alive and create cultural exchange
>>
>>2279019

Prove yourself by giving them something shiny like gunpowder. Also the scientific method would be something the Romans really loved, it's the ultimate technology, one that continuously refines and improves other technologies.
>>
How developed was the culture of the Americas at this time? Do you think if the Romans had an expedition there would they make it?
And would the natives learn about metal?
>>
>>2279301
Well they did work copper and obviously gold and silver. I think some northwest coast tribes might have had even bronze. Roman contact might have revolutionized their society and might not (remember Vinland). And there's always the chance of shit like smallpox spreading and basically killing off all those societies.
>>
>>2279309
Yeah but Aztecs had a more advanced society with buildings and cities
I mean would they have like cool Aztec metal armor and swords
Is it possible that they could have invented ships if they saw them?
>>
>>2278216
I would bring steroids and turn Legionaries into superhuman beefcakes who will wrestle Hannibal's elephants like little children.
>>
>>2279323
Aztecs rose to any sort of relevance in 1300s hundreds when mongols still ruled China and Timur ravaged lands from Central Asia. If you add antiquity Roman contact something like Aztecs wouldn't even happen in all likelihood.
>>
>>2279347
Damn what if the Mongols went east with boats instead of west
>>
>>2279355
Mongols couldn't even get over the Sea of Japan to glorious Nippon so I wouldn't count on it.
>>
>>2278557
Simply making large satchel charges would be a game changer. Get a bunch of troops to pile them up against an enemy wall or in sapping tunnels and enjoy being able to crush any single defensive fortification in the world.
>>
>>2278216
Set up an army general staff and make a bureaucracy leaps and bounds more advanced than anything the world will see for centuries.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.