[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did immigration as a concept start? Did people suffering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: gorilla-thinking.jpg (527KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gorilla-thinking.jpg
527KB, 1920x1200px
When did immigration as a concept start?

Did people suffering from ecological disasters or war become illegal immigrants 500 years ago?
>>
>>2275511
When did walking as a concept start?
>>
>>2275511
Nope. They fled to another part of the country or to the next country and most came back once the fighting was far from their town.

We still have that. What is new is to use any hardship you can as an excuse for intercontinental illegal immigration.
>>
>>2275521
Stop being a dunce I think you understand what I'm asking, a nomad isn't an immigrant, immigration implied strict nation states/kingly realms with defined and controlled borders.
>>
>>2275511

>illegal immigration
>500 years ago

If you could afford it you could go wherever you wanted
>>
Probably when Germans invaded Rome, they assimilated into the HRE though
>>
>>2275533
I guess on the Migration Period then.
>>
I'm not an expert but my understanding is that "immigration" as we know it today was a bit of a fuzzy concept before the 20th century, then it solidified since the 1900s.

There were probably far older laws/regulations/practices that far predate it. Like, whether you could consider Romans selectively settling migrating barbarians in certain places on certain conditions to be an "immigration law". Or whether you'd say that Greeks sent off to form a new colony were "emigrating". Since it should be obvious that there have been 'settlers' and 'migrants' for a long ass time. Same with the use of the word "Emigres" for Frenchmen escaping the revolution to Britain, etc.

I googled the etymology of the word "immigrant" and this comes up as a result - "Term illegal immigrant first recorded 1892 in American English (illegal immigration is from 1887); used in British English in 1940s in reference to the Jewish movement to Palestine."

Earlier than that they'd probably just be called "vagrants" or "foreigners", I do know that you often needed papers of some sort to travel anyway.
>>
>>2275511
Legalistic protections against immigration didn't exist in the 19th century, but it was much harder to travel and assimilate into new communities.

Some early examples of mass migration would be French Huguenots to England, English Puritans to the Netherlands, Irishmen to England, German and Benelux people to Sweden, and Poles to France
>>
>>2275537

That's still the case. Obviously the illegal part indicates taht these people cant afford it.

retard
>>
Roving bands of people migrated all the time but they brought swords and shields along "just in case"...
>>
>>2275575
*until the 19th century
>>
>>2275581

No, you misunderstand. If you couldn't afford it, you couldn't go. Travel is expensive.

That said, if you were poor, there's nothing stopping you walking hundreds of miles into a neighboring country and foraging for food along the way. You'd just be an immigrant though, there's no real question of legality involved
>>
>>2275597
>That said, if you were poor, there's nothing stopping you walking hundreds of miles into a neighboring country and foraging for food along the way.
What about all the border guards, road bandits, and hostile locals who know "you ain't from 'round dese parts" along the way?
>>
Border controls didn't even exist really before the 20th century
>>
>>2275511
Humans have lived as nomads since before they were humans.
I don't think the concept of moving around ever disappeared when humans became farmers in the first place.
>>
>>2275616
>another chucklefuck conflates nomad with immigrant again
>>
>>2275511
the question should actually be when did immigration stopped
the generally accepted idea says we needed to roam around in order to get food, resources and shit
sedentarization due to the "technological" advances was probably what made immigration less and less necessary - people started only leaving their place of birth in order to get better shit instead of being forced by the environment (excluding the great migrations started by raging barbarians that still happen today)
>>
>>2275616
Not really but I guess the point OP tries to make is about the recent massive immigration that has been going on for the last decades.
It's not a matter of concept but of opportunity. Without mechanized transportation it's more expensive for huge populations to travel. There were nomads sure but hardly big population movement from one population center to another
>>
>>2275628

What do you think the difference is?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.