[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /his/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 0001.jpg (507KB, 2224x1531px) Image search: [Google]
0001.jpg
507KB, 2224x1531px
What clan of the sengoku jidai would have done a better job than the Tokugawa in ruling Japan for 200 years until the Meiji restoration?
>>
>>2275340

Bingo, definitely Bingo, how can you fail when you got Bingo
>>
>>2275340
Ikko-Ikki
>>
Personally, I wished Nobunaga had not died because he would've consolidated Japan and not risk that pointless war in Korea.

I think the Date clan would've been best. Masamune favored direct contact with Europe and even commissioned European-style ships. He was also a patron of Christianity.

If the Date clan had been at helm, Japan would've modernized parallel to Europe instead of taking a crash course in 50 years after Perry's expedition. An industrial Japan in the post-Waterloo climate would've been interesting to see. They may have become more liberalized and avoided militarism in favor of being a democratic state. Especially in reaction to the 1848 Revolutions.
>>
>>2275631
Wouldn't it be extremely difficult to govern Japan as a Christian when basically the entire country is shinto-buddhist? I imagine there would be many rebellions, perhaps one would be successful.
>>
>>2275637
He wasn't a Christian tho, he was an avid atheist. He did however protect christians for persecution. He liked them as an oddity.
>>
>>2275637
Eh, issuing a tolerance edict similar to European edicts would probably fix it, but I don't know how much shinto Buddhism was prevalent in ruling
>>
>>2275631
>because he would've consolidated Japan and not risk that pointless war in Korea.

Pretty sure Hideyoshi got the idea of invading Korea and China from Nobunaga.
>>
>>2275637
Masamune himself wasn't Christian, but he allowed Christianity in his domains.

Japan needed some forward-thinking men after Nobunaga's death. Hideyoshi wasted countless lives and treasure in that war with China and Korea. Not to mention earning the eternal enmity of Japan's neighbors.

And it needed an ocean-going fleet; both naval and merchant. There's plenty of scholarly works and sources that mention how Japan briefly became a commercial player in SE Asia before the anti-travel edicts took place. Particularly in Thailand and Vietnam where Japanese copper, silver, and handicrafts were widely appreciated.

Japan was actually something of an innovator when it came to its handgun production. Not only militarily, but also technically. And by 1600, it had more guns per capita than even the European nations at the time. But they lacked cannon and rocketry; something which the Chinese and Koreans dealt them quite a bit in the 1592-1599 wars.

Ideally, a Japan that absorbs Christian ethos and Western liberalism with its national identity could've prevented the 1895-1945 thuggery. Japan would be the major power in the 1600's and 1700's; in commerce and naval affairs. Europeans would think twice in getting too uppity past the Indian Ocean since Japan would have a modern fleet with well-trained sailors. Though hopefully Japan would avoid imperial adventures with their neighbors. Instead, they should rely on peaceful commerce and internal affairs with only a powerful navy to deter any outsiders.
>>
>>2275688
Nobunaga did indeed contemplate it, but even he would realize it was pointless. Nobunaga learned quite a bit of the outside world from the Jesuits and realized that Japan's resources and tech would be limited in a general Asian war.
>>
>>2275340
Date, easily.
>>
Uesugi or Mori. Date was a dickhead warlord without much care for civilian society, he only had eyes for the sword and being a northerner he had little experience with places like Kyoto or Kansai which were centers of culture and commerce. Uesugi was widely know to be a good merchant and an extremely benevolent man. He was very religious as well. I can picture him creating a society as stable as the tokugawas but with more commerce and a wealthy people. Mori also was more of a trader/administrator than a warmongering warlord but he lacked the passion and popularity to take the job. I'd also like to say I think not having sakoku enabled from the 1600s until the 1800s could very well potentially make Japan vulnerable to the same things that happened to Qing China.
>>
>>2275340
Stop being a weeb. Trust me, your life will be better for it. Save Japanese history for asians
>>
>>2275690
>Though hopefully Japan would avoid imperial adventures with their neighbors.
Imperial adventures and mercantilism are a natural conclusion from European thought at the time, especially if they picked up the idea of the Nation
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.