[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were Europeans racist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: enlightenment.jpg (693KB, 1389x454px) Image search: [Google]
enlightenment.jpg
693KB, 1389x454px
why did many of the Enlightenment thinkers express racist views?
>>
File: black-albinos.jpg (146KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
black-albinos.jpg
146KB, 600x1000px
Reality is racist
>>
They also thought people from the village over were subhuman and people that spoke another language were a different species despite being white. But apply those more to an outgroups and it's suddenly raycizm.
>>
>>2274853
Because most other races are inferior to Europeans. They were a bit harsh on the Mongoloids, though.
>>
File: 1463411907609.png (490KB, 808x960px) Image search: [Google]
1463411907609.png
490KB, 808x960px
>>2274902
>>
>>2274853
Philosophers are low IQ
>>
State issues. Christianity forbids human slavery, but they needed an excuse to use black slaves. So they just said they aren't really human.
>>
>>2274853
The enlightenment was steeped in science and had no libshit culture that told them they werent allowed to come to conclusions regarding race - hence remaining objective and racist
>>
>>2274906
>Implying I give a shit about muslims conquering Constantinople.

They won that round, what else can be said? I'm not shilling for the European team, history shows that we seem to be better. That doesn't mean we don't lose sometimes, dumbass, or that I hold other races to a different moral standard. The standard is whose winning. Get that strawman out of here.
>>
>>2274906
desu i don't see many say it was morally wrong, just that we wish that the Greeks had won

not that t*rks should have never tried to start an empire, but that they should have been beaten.
>>
>>2274853
Suspicion/fear of the unknown plays definitely a part. I grew up in a rural area in Europe where people of color literally aren't existing. Now, living in a city, I often find myself in an alerted state if I see a black person. It's completely illogical but I think psychological thing or instinct.
>>
>>2274994
>It's completely illogical
No it isn't. We developed to understand ingroup vs outgroup because outgroups would destroy you given the chance.
>>
>>2274994
Nah man, you're just woke as fuck, niggers and jews are bad news.
>>
Their nations were dominating the entire planet with ease. It was a natural conclusion based off of empirical evidence.

They weren't only hard on other races, they were fine with categorizing people within Europe as inferior as well should they seem stupid or backwards.
>>
>>2274853

"Enlightenment thinkers" were obsessed with the systematic classification of all minerals, flora, and fauna; including humans. They also defined "race" much more broadly than we do;

>The word race started to be used in the Middle Ages as a synonym for caste, and was applied to the raising of plants and breeding of animals. In the late Middle Ages it was used in the definition of noble lineage in Italy and France. During the long Iberian struggle between Muslims and Christians, followed by overseas expansion, race acquired an ethnic meaning—first applied to people of Jewish and Muslim descent, meaning an impurity in the blood, and then applied to Africans and Native Americans. Therefore, the semantic content of the word was developed through a hierarchical ethnic system of classification within the Iberian context. In the eighteenth century, the noun race was used in Europe to denote female gender and, in general, varieties of human beings.

The nouns "racist" and "racism" wouldn't be created until the 1890's and 1900's as a way to designate people who politicized racial theory and hierarchy.
>>
>>2274853
...they were enlightened
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.