[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greek mythology in a nutshell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: zeus.jpg (91KB, 456x265px) Image search: [Google]
zeus.jpg
91KB, 456x265px
>>
this is a bad thread and you should feel bad
>>
>>2272624
no
>>
>>2272624
i just spend too much time on /b/
>>
>>2272615
Zeus mythology is just like one big dysfunctional family with hundreds of bastard children fucking things up down on earth. It's great.
>>
>lmao dude there are these invisible sky people who are the hidden hand behind all phenomena we witness also they get into arguments and have sex with each other all the time it's true I swear

wtf were they thinking?
>>
>>2272641
Maybe they were contextualizing unexplainable phenomenon about the world around them into ways that were very human & understandable as well as passing down long told stories from the very foundations of their culture
>>
>>2272641
You could say something similar about contemporary religions, yet people still unironically believe in them.
>>
At least it is true that man has no control; even over his own will.
>>
>>2272615
Is that movie still banned in Greece?
>>
>>2273931
It was never banned. Just had a bad reception.
>>
>>2272641
If you read ciceros de natura deorum you'll see that they didnt actually believed in centaurs and divine rapes safe for some village hillybillys who believed the storys outrightly (like some people today beliefe in the literal adam amd eve story).

They myths were generally understood to be hints and visions passed down through fables and dreams that gave you an idea what characteristics and preffered ways of worship a certain god had but kinda distorted by fantasy and limited understanding.

The pagans were so good at the "Its just an allegory brah" stuff that the early christians were often mocked for believing the biblical storys until the early churchfathers learned how to get into deep dank allegory speak themselves.
>>
>>2273952
That certainly applies to the later pagans.

In earlier times, it probably was a much bigger deal?
>>
>>2273952
I honestly don't believe you
>>
>>2272624
Well hang on there. I mean it's kinda witty.

At first glance it's just a /b/ thread but...

It's trying to be witty, it just didn't quite pull it off.

>He said "Pull it off"
>>
>>2273911
>lmao dude there is this invisible sky guy who is the hidden hand behind the creation of the universe also he gets mad if you eat pork and will make you burn forever for that it's true I swear
>>
>>2273952
Gonna need a source for that last claim, bruh
>>
File: perkwunos.jpg (106KB, 800x790px) Image search: [Google]
perkwunos.jpg
106KB, 800x790px
>>2274184
other anon here

i believe it, since we know that these different Indo-European ethnicites and their pantheons came from a single Indo-European pantheon thousands of years ago. Perkwunos into Perun, Thor, Zeus, Jupiter, Dyeus Pater into Tiw, Zeus, and all others in a manner similar, sometimes not in just a direct line but through relations to other gods and titles they would have held.

if they were hyperliteral about all of it, i don't you would see such a variation in form and function.
>>
File: 1484630236327.jpg (131KB, 525x809px) Image search: [Google]
1484630236327.jpg
131KB, 525x809px
>>2274938
>>
>>2274117
There's uneducated yokels who believe incorrect stuff in EVERY religion.

The Laws of Numa, which codified religious practices and legal stuff in the earliest time of Rome, point to the gods being "abstract yet real", not "glowing dudes and dudettes". However, the Greeks clearly understood the Spartan Rhetra ("lmao Zeus said I'm king, here's what we'll do") was both a literal thing that occurred and also an allegory.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.