[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the purpose of executive orders originally? How did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

What was the purpose of executive orders originally? How did it become the President doing whatever he wants?
>>
>>2272490
>How did it become the President doing whatever he wants?

That was always the original purpose.
>>
>>2272490
>What was the purpose of executive orders originally?

The Legislative Branch writes the laws and controls the budget.

The Judicial Branch determines when the laws are right or wrong.

The Executive Branch does all the work dictated by the laws, fights the wars, and defends the Constitution.

So, an Executive Order is the President doing what the Executive Branch has always done: All the work, fighting the wars, and defending the Constitution.

They are not laws, but in a lot of ways, they carry a LOT more force. However, every President can issue any Orders he wants, as long as they are lawful, so they tend to be more transient than Laws.
>>
Sounds a bit authoritarian. Especially since the original idea of the presidential office was much smaller than what it is today.
>>
>>2272613
The world has changed, so has our government. Laws these days take forever to get through, so sometimes direct action must be taken.
>>
>>2272490

>What was the purpose of executive orders originally?

The president, insofar as he or she is the chief executive, is the boss of literally millions of federal employees. As a boss, he has a good deal of authority over his employees insofar as they work for the government. The Executive order is a way of handing down a directive to the federal employees that they should be doing something or not doing something.

IIRC, the first executive orders were things setting pay rates and hours for federal employees.
>>
>>2272490
The President has always had almost limitless power over the Executive branch.

The only problem is that the emergence of the various agencies of the modern bureaucracy during the early 20th century meant than an enormous amount of what government does became a part of the Executive branch.
>>
>>2272677
stop saying insofar
>>
>>2272852
I might, insofar as you give me a good reason to do so.
>>
>>2272852

It's necessary, given how the president fulfills multiple roles, and fulfills multiple roles even in the limited set of interactions with federal employees, as opposed to everyone else.
>>
>>2272490
If a law is passed contradicting the order, the law takes precedence. Also the Supreme Court can declare any EO unconstitutional whenever they feel like it and the next president can immediately nullify them. They're generally short term solutions that are straightforward direct solutions to the problem they address.
>>
>>2272795

In a word: Democrats shot themselves in the foot here

the dude has an agency army
>>
>>2273113
>Democrats shot themselves in the foot here
>
>the dude has an agency army
>has to issue a gag order on his own departments to make sure they don't make him look bad
>>
>>2273134
>>has to issue a gag order on his own departments to make sure they don't make him look bad

Hope it doesn't turn into a full-tilt purge. Would be a real shame if the huge majority of government workers stopped being a reliable Democrat voting block.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/government-federal-workers-employees/2016/10/26/id/755536/

Just for the record, do I really need to post historical examples of what a TERRIBLE idea it is for the Government to be in complete domination of one of the political parties?

http://www.antiwar.com/berkman/DEMOCRAT.html

Scary stuff, and I personally hope this trend is brutally checked, and soon.
>>
>>2272490

The president has essentially become the CEO of a large company.

An executive order is just him telling his employees how to do their job.

The congress told the president to secure the border.

Obongo then ordered the security forces at the border to only stop males or shit.

He can get away with it because theres really no way to make him enforce the law 100%.
>>
File: 1485224458291.jpg (42KB, 510x427px) Image search: [Google]
1485224458291.jpg
42KB, 510x427px
>>2272490
It's an order over merely the executive branch, the problem stems from the fact that the executive branch keeps getting more and more power and keeps having more and more say over certain areas until eventually because of this and several other things America will cease to be a republic.
>>
>>2273384
Thus, it's Congress's fault for delegating so much of their own power to the Executive Branch and the Supreme Court's fault for so loosely granting Congress and the Executive power that the text of the Constitution does not construe
>>
>>2273384
>will cease to be
Anon we're already a run by a shadow oligarchy, the next step is full blown emperor.
>>
>>2272490
I think the real question is why there are no checks and balances within the executive branch
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.