[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is The Odyssey worth reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: Super_Mario_Odyssey_Logo.png (117KB, 400x249px) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_Odyssey_Logo.png
117KB, 400x249px
Is The Odyssey worth reading?
>>
>>2270542
How the hell have you not read it already?

Get off this board, holy shit.
>>
>he didn't start with the greeks
>>
>>2270542
One of the best stories ever. Go and read it now.
>>
>>2270542
Not OP, but should I read the Iliad then the Odyssey or does it not matter?

I've got the Odyssey on my bookshelf, but not the Iliad yet.
>>
>>2270626
Same. I have a version of the odyssey from the 1950s
>>
>>2270626
It doesn't matter. Both are self-contained and required-reading for anyone with half a brain.

Best read in the Greek, of course.
>>
>>2270643
>Best read in the Greek, of course.
I'm not flying all the way to greece just to read a book
>>
>>2270626
Well you'll probably appreciate some of the fanservice in The Odyssey more if you read the Iliad first, but they are definitely separate works. It really doesn't matter too much.
>>
>>2270650
What? There are these things called 'books', right?
>>
If you can't read Greek, then it makes a huge difference which translation you choose. Don't just pick one at random, read reviews
>>
>>2270672
>the joke
>your head
>>
The Odyssey was an epic poem originally meant to be recited. Get an audiobook and listen to it while working or exercising.
>>
>>2270626

The Illiad is about Trojan war, the odyssey is about a guy making it back home afterward.

If you can, I suggest you read the story in the chronological order, though like the others said, it does not really matter.
>>
>>2271049
>and listen to it while working or exercising

It certainly wasn't meant to be listened to while working or exercising.
>>
>>2270542
Only if you know Greek.
>>
Read Theogony first

Then proceed to the Illiad

And only then read Odyssey
>>
Should I read it, even if the entire story has been spoiled to me in bits through various mediums?
>>
File: epic cycle.png (18KB, 845x148px) Image search: [Google]
epic cycle.png
18KB, 845x148px
tfw you will only ever know a small fragment of the trojan oral tradition and there is nothing you can do about it
>>
>>2271620
It's more of a loss that we barely have any of Sappho's poetry. She wrote like six books of poetry and we only have one complete poems and a hundred tiny fragments.

like what the fuck
>>
File: 1445407405628.png (289KB, 415x357px) Image search: [Google]
1445407405628.png
289KB, 415x357px
>>2271590
What, do you expect him to put on his chiton and fake beard, then recite it to himself while pacing around during a symposium?

>>2271620
This is honestly the saddest thing. When I was studying in Manchester, one of the professors had a discussion with me about how there were untranslated bits of Epic Cycle poems in the Deansgate Library archives from the Oxyrnchus dig but they don't have the funding or manpower to get them translated since rich Americans only ever pay to get Biblical texts translated so they can try and find the earliest one possible.

>>2271618
Yes. I doubt you would have heard of the best bits since they're not in mainstream conciousness, i.e. Diomedes' aristeia.
>>
>>2270691
bravo
>>
I liked the part where Mario brought some Toads along his Journey and 7 of them were eaten by a piranha plant and others were swepted up by a whirlpool.
>>
>>2275259
The bit where he murders the Koopaling suitors after challenging them to a fire flower competition is my personal favourite.
>>
>tfw too dumb to read the Odyssey
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.