[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the French Revolution really that bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: Flag_of_France_(XII-XIII).png (41KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_France_(XII-XIII).png
41KB, 800x800px
Was the French Revolution really that bad?
>>
>>2265783
YES

The Drownings at Nantes (French: Noyades de Nantes) were a series of mass executions by drowning during the Reign of Terror in Nantes, France, that occurred between November 1793 and February 1794. During this period, anyone arrested and jailed for not consistently supporting the Revolution, or suspected of being a royalist sympathizer, especially Catholic priests and nuns, was cast into the Loire and drowned on the orders of Jean-Baptiste Carrier, the representative-on-mission in Nantes. Before the murders ceased, as many as four thousand or more people, including innocent families with women and children, died in what Carrier himself called "the national bathtub".[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drownings_at_Nantes

The Vendée. Secher argued that the actions of the French republican government during the War in the Vendée was the first modern genocide.[51] Secher's claims caused a minor uproar in France amongst scholars of modern French history, as many mainstream authorities on the period – both French and foreign – published articles rejecting Secher's claims.[52][53][54][55][56]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_the_Vend%C3%A9e#Genocide_controversy
>>
>>2265783

Read about it yourself and draw your own conclusions, don't tell people to do it for you.
>>
>>2265783

When you go from Louis XIV to Francois Hollande the only answer is yes
>>
>>2265783

Gave us Bonaparte, but also modern European Republicanism. You win some you lose some.
>>
>>2265799
Only dumb christians use these as arguments against the revolution. Even though there is so much more to shit on.

>>2265812
>Louis XIV
He would have killed everyone with the taxes that nobody, even the richest, could pay. Hollande didn't raise the richest taxes.

>>2266319
Besides giving you a gayass hard cock, I'd like to know why you think Bonaparte was so great?
>>
>>2265783
Who ever said that it was bad?
>>2265799
Counter-revolutionary propaganda and slander. Besides, they would have deserved it anyway for trying to enslave the French people again.
>>
>>2266348
>think Bonaparte was so great?
He changed the world.
>>
i personally don't like to be a dirt poor peasant that can't vote while a dude sits on a throne living in luxury while not doing jack shit.

so no, it wasn't that bad.
>>
>>2265799

You can't make an omelette without drowning a few nuns.
>>
>>2265799
>killing traitors chimping out when your country is at war with the entirety of Europe
>bad
>>
*Blocks your path*
>>
File: cuitedeath.jpg (70KB, 500x688px) Image search: [Google]
cuitedeath.jpg
70KB, 500x688px
>>2265783
Yes. The Chinese Cultural Revolution was a modern reproduction of the French Revolution and achieved roughly the same results: Nothing. Aside from killing a boat load of people.

It's so hypocritical how people share this double standards with this. They go on and on about how despicable the Chinese cultural revolution was, yet turn around and proclaim the French Revolution dindu nuffin.
>>
>>2265783
The only people who legit believe the monarchy was better are memers or unironic reactionaries.
>>
>>2265783
YES

As bad as any Muslim invasion, worse.
>>
>>2266348
>>2266350
>>2266412
>>2266506
>All these foreigners telling to a Genuine French how great it was when his family and his people were ruthlessly murdered by godless savages, and how great genocide is

mfw i just realized /his/ is satire.
>>
>>2267299
And hundred of thousands of French agree with the Revolution, your point?
>>
>>2267299
>Genuine French
So, a Muslim?
>>
File: 1479391635047.png (970KB, 1352x2044px) Image search: [Google]
1479391635047.png
970KB, 1352x2044px
>>2267299
reminder
>>
File: (((White))) Americans.png (36KB, 1243x313px) Image search: [Google]
(((White))) Americans.png
36KB, 1243x313px
>>2267307
>hundred of thousands of French

Yes and ?

The opinion of uneducated people doesn't matter.

>>2267322
>35% White country who elected twice a nigger muslim president dare to call me a mudslim

Wew
>>
>>2267356
>35% White
That's blatantly false and I'm not even from the U.S.
>>
Not really. The guillotine killings were typically reserved for criminals who were already in gaol for thievery, murder or even small crimes and they're incarceration really just came at the worst timing possible. The revolutionaries believed that these criminals could be easily coopted by counter revolutionaries to cause trouble for the regime and thus were executed.

However, that's not to say that it didn't get out of hand. The purges of the Girondins is a good example of the excesses of the revolution and killing for the sake of consolidating power. The War in the Vendée had to be brutal and swift to stop the insurrections whilst a full blown war against two major powers was under way and atrocities were committed by both sides.

In the end, the Ancien Regime had to go and Louis XVI and his first estate ilk had constantly undermined reforms and had actively tried to encourage invasion by Austria. Not a surprise he lost his head.
>>
>>2267340
This is one of the worst baits I've ever seen. I can't understand why are you still posting it. Nobody believes it, it's not even funny, nobody gets angry by it... What's the point of it?
>>
>>2267442
t. butthurt /his/torian
>>
File: robespierre.jpg (16KB, 353x347px)
robespierre.jpg
16KB, 353x347px
>>2265783
No.

Reminder that Robespierre and the Jacobins did nothing wrong, and are only despised for killing people who actually mattered in a revolutionary context.
>>
The revolution matches the tyranny that caused it.

France really was that shitty for most people. The nobility didn't get it any worse than they gave for centuries.
>>
>>2265803
please kys
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.