[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was it like being a well-off black man in pre-civil war america?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: scary_spice.jpg (105KB, 473x600px) Image search: [Google]
scary_spice.jpg
105KB, 473x600px
Not every black person was in total poverty. There was even some black people who became slave-owners themselves, how would those guys fit into the society back then?

*random picture
>>
>>2263795
Living hell, one side you had whites treating you like crap, and on the other side your own race treated you like shit for being a sellout.
>>
>>2263806
The second part is absolutely false.
>>2263795
As my family has spoken on it; imagine be economically, educationally and fundamentally leaps and bounds ahead of a supposed superior people yet having to step to the street when a white person even a child walks past you. You could never be called Mister or Sir, your honorific is Nigger _____. You cannot look a white person in the eye and save for servants and hair dressers could never put yourself near a white women save for the absolute poorest that you might marry.

Your entire life, livelihood and savings depends on whites who find you intrinsically inferior protecting you from white masses whose sense of self is tarnished whenever a black person of means is known. You could never be a legal witness, never be judged by your peers and possibly loss favor at any moment

This in essence was the experience of blacks of wealth well into the 1950's in the south
>>
>>2264088
Most of this post is total bullshit 2bh. Nice "alternative facts" you got there.
>>
>>2264371
if hes wrong you should feel free to present evidence to the contrary
>>
>>2264371
Please tell me how this is false piece by piece with evidence.
>>
>>2263795

Fun fact: the first slave-owner in USA was a black man
>>
>>2264373
>>2264405
>evidence
We need sources for the original claim also.
>>
>>2265445
It's basically his uncle. It's better than no source or his ass. It's in fact leaps ahead of most information you find on /his/.
>>
>>2265423
Fun fact: that is a neat bit of trivia
>>
File: banneker.jpg (46KB, 250x310px) Image search: [Google]
banneker.jpg
46KB, 250x310px
>>2263795
Benjamin Banneker did pretty well for himself. He was the son of a free negro woman and a former slave.

>be free black man in 1700s America
>build striking wooden clock
>study astronomy
>publish almanacs predicting lunar and solar eclipses
>be surveyor
>help plot the boundaries of the District of Columbia
>correspond with Thomas Jefferson and privately advocate for the abolition of slavery
>own slaves

He was as intricate, learned, and conflicted of a man as any of the Founding Fathers.
>>
>>2263795
negresses lived the good life by getting COLONIZED
>>
>>2265445
yeah OP should definitely provide evidence for his claims
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.