[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dred Scott Decision

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: dred.jpg (4KB, 192x219px) Image search: [Google]
dred.jpg
4KB, 192x219px
How the fuck was the Dred Scott Decision allowed to pass? Even if justices were pro-slavery, did they not understand the blatantly obvious effects this would have on slavery?
>>
>>2263502
It basically destroyed the "necessary evil" argument for slavery and made Northerners think that the country was becoming a bitch for the slave lobby, which they already thought after the Mexican-American War.

Seriously.
>>
The lead justice thought

>I'll make a ruling and fix this once and for good, and that will solve the problem
>>
>>2263510
Still though, by ruling that blacks weren't citizens and had no right to sue in free states it basically made the Compromise of 1850.

White abolitionists had made the argument that slaveholders would eventually treat whites the way they treated blacks to much effectiveness and that slavery would lead to the growth of a new aristocracy, and this decision basically proved it.

Were they all Southerners on the court or something? It just seems like such an objectively bad decision, even in the context of the time. He could've just upheld the status quo.
>>
>>2263502
Just picture the average southern US politician as a spoiled baby with no impulse control and American history starts becoming much easier to understand.
>>
>>2263516
This is literally how the US ended up in Vietnam and Iraq.
>>
>>2263516
Well that does make a lot more sense.

>>2263520
Fuck off libshit. Stop derailing the thread.
>>
>>2263516
Was it backed up with a kind of Fire Eater mentality that they could just secede and use King Cotton as a weapon, or did they genuinely believe in some kind of Union with the North though?
>>
>>2263524
You do realize that the spoiled baby who got us into Vietnam was the HNIC of the new left.
>>
>>2263535
I'm aware. The guy who won the war was a Republican and it got forfeited by a Congress controlled by leftist pricks.

That doesn't make it any more relevant to the thread.
>>
>>2263535
And the South was full of Democrats during slavery.
>>
>>2263537
Well, it's extremely pertinent to the theme of "southerners are irrational children."
>>
>>2263546
Regardless, were the Southerners just confident in their ability to secede or did they actually think that nothing negative would occur from this? See: >>2263528

Like did they not understand the power of abolitionist appeal to Northern whites that Southern slaveholders would soon form a new aristocracy?
>>
>>2263557
The Supreme Court genuinely thought that if they settled the issue with legislative fiat, it would end the conflict.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.