[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What generation fucked everything up and why was it the Boomers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 32

File: boomers.png (307KB, 968x634px) Image search: [Google]
boomers.png
307KB, 968x634px
>>
>>2261204
MILLENIALS ARE SHIT AND EVIL!
VIDEO GAMES ARE EVIL!
TV IS EVIL! FUN IS EVIL!
BOOKS ARE THE ONLY GOOD!
LEARN OR I WILL BEAT YOU!
RESPECT YOUR ELDERS!
>>
I have to hand it to the Boomers, they really manage to bring liberals and conservatives together in a unanimous hatred of them. Its pretty impressive
>>
I dunno senpai, have you seen what an average 18 year old looks like in America?
>>
>>2261811
You have the boomers to thank for that.
>>
>>2261881
How did boomers force millennials to do what they do exactly?
>>
>>2261896
Boomers created the circumstances that created the millennials.
>>
Great gen > Gen X > Gen Z >>> Boomers >>>>>>>> Millennials
>>
>>2261941
Boomers vote conservative, not liberal
>>
>>2261949
Hmmm, it's almost like this should cause you to question the soundness of "conservative" policies. Don't worry though, I'm sure doing more of the same will bring about different results in the future.
>>
File: image.png (429KB, 399x614px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
429KB, 399x614px
>>2261965
Conservatives did not push for legalization of drugs, abortion, lgbt movement, feminism and the myriad of other "social issues" that millennials piss their life away on
>mfw I see BLM protestors distrupt a library where other blacks are trying to study
Hmm makes me think
>>
>>2261978
They did push for race diluting politics and Jew fellating though.
>>
I never understood what all the intergenerational hate is all about and why it's so widespread, boomers had it better and grew up in a better time and I'm supposed to hate them for it? Hurrrrrrrr
>>
>>2261978
Actually, all those things happened with the boomers. Abortion was legalized in 1973. How the fuck is that the fault of people born in the 1980s?

But don't let that get in the way of your "Le wrong generation" circlejerk.
>>
File: 1367900414511.jpg (18KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1367900414511.jpg
18KB, 251x251px
>tfw all the boomers will be dead in your lifetime
>>
>>2262040
Were the judges sitting on the bench of scotus in 1973 boomers?
>>
The boomer phenomenon is easy to understand in the context of post-WW2 america and r/K selection theory. Quite simply, the economic resources available to americans increased so rapidly after yurop/asia was bombed or enslaved by communism that it caused excessive breeding and attainment of political power by r-selected individuals.
Not only are these individuals concerned with quantity over quality, but they are also anti-collectivism, preffering to hoard resources and advantages disproportionately to their peers. America thus became a culture of greed which is rapidly having to contend with its lack of sustainability.
>>
>>2262047
Then you're even further up shit creek, because we can't judge Millennials for anything, yet. I'm sure the boomers did a great job once they got into government though, right?
>>
>>2261204
>support radical femenism (sic) and multiculturalism to the point where your sons will be unable to find wives and keep families, and your entire race may be in danger of extinction
>/pol/ actually believes this
>>
>>2261941
You can say the same thing about the Boomers' parents.
>>
>>2262109
Yes, the Silent Generation created the potential utopia that allowed the Boomers to fuck everything up for every later generation.
>>
>>2262099

Is this image edited? I've seen it several times before and I don't remember seeing that.
>>
because ideological subversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZnkULuWFDg
>>
File: 1483046367042.png (34KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1483046367042.png
34KB, 1024x768px
Degeneration is a result of declining energy per capita

Same thing happened in the roman empire when they burned all the good forests, shortages of slaves, and increasing energy devoted to paying taxes.

Because the energy requirements to achieve their true human potential is not being met, they wallow and degenerate into entertainment consumption to distract themselves from their failed potential and disappointment to their ancestors.

Everybody knows the millennial generation is a failure relative to previous generations, their grandparents invented jet aircraft, nuclear power, and landed on the moon. The millennials made...some social media startups.
>>
File: 1462494248766.png (49KB, 757x463px) Image search: [Google]
1462494248766.png
49KB, 757x463px
>>2262240
The boomers aren't to blame they merely assumed the same energy growth would be available to the millennials, if that were true most people today would have multiple cars, a nice house, tons of disposable income, but the resources are simply not there. Not only has the population quadrupled since WW2, but the EROEI of energy resources has also declined, there is simply not enough energy to go around for the millennials to achieve the same lifestyle as their parents.
>>
>>2262240
>>2262273
Nuclear renaissance when
>>
>>2262240
except your graph literally shows no significant change in energy per capita for millenials and the supposedly great grandfathers of ours clearly operated with a lot less.
>>
>>2261204
>your entire race may become extinct
>caring about hundreds of years in the future when you're only going to live on average 70-80 years max
>implying my race (black) isn't already on the slow decline in America

Why should I care about that specifically?
>>
>>2262287
Not in my backyard
>>
>>2261204
>>2261811
>>2261965
>>2261978
>>2262011

Boomers were not particularly conservative, they practically invented the modern conception of social democracy. It's because of them that all these social programs are going bankrupt and they aren't producing enough babies to support them in the future, yet don't want to let go of "muh government free stuff."

Millenials aren't all that leftist either. You can point to BLM all you want but leftist groups were rioting and destroying things for a century now, and back before boomers were fascists destroying things. The only good thing boomers really brought was more civility to political discourse. Millenials have unprecedented economic hardships which boomers created, such as massive student loans, a sluggish economy, and social programs that are, at this point, practically impossible to support for much longer.

Despite this, millenials are still going into the workforce and trying to make a living. Millenials have often been at the forefront of scientific advancement in the current decade.

Boomers are trash, millenials are fine.
>>
>>2261946
>Z

Z is all underaged. Seriously, they're still being born right now. How the fuck are they higher?

10/10 for making me reply.
>>
>>2262273
and this graph doesn't take gini coefficients into account; of course richer means more powerful thus consuming more national resources.

divide each data point by its country's gini score and you it would show their national IQ
>>
>>2262345
I worked as a camp councillor with exclusively Gen Z kids this summer and they are cool as fuck so there's that.
>>
>>2262341
The Boomers created a social democracy for boomers, and only boomers.

When you leave out spending for the elderly, there's little to nothing left.
>>
>>2261978
>Conservatives did not push for legalization of drugs, abortion, lgbt movement, feminism and the myriad of other "social issues" that millennials piss their life away on

They did in the 60s and 70s dumbass. Ever wonder why young generations are all the same? They ARE.
>>
>>2262334
It doesn't include differences in wealth, most of the wealth gains went to the top 20% of the population while the rest have stagnated or decreased, it also doesn't include the skyrocketing costs of basic services such as healthcare and education. Which is why the whole "get married at 20 buy a house and a car and have 3 kids by age 25 while working a single income blue collar job" is no longer possible for the vast majority of Americans
>>
>>2262365
yes i agree, but i mostly don't agree that it can all be abstracted into energy per capita
>>
>>2262240
>Everybody knows the millennial generation is a failure relative to previous generations, their grandparents invented jet aircraft, nuclear power, and landed on the moon. The millennials made...some social media startups.

Now I know this is bait, but on the off chance that it isn't, Millennials are born between the early 80s and the early 2000s. Aren't the vast majority of them just a little too young to be doing those things?
>>
>>2262351
So one example rules over millions?

Look, all I'm saying is that you should at least wait until the 2020s to judge an entire generation like that, most of them aren't even close to being adults yet.
>>
>>2262377
Well all the "low hanging fruit" technology has already been discovered so unless they invent fusion energy or something miraculous they're not going to appear as impressive as past generations' innovation

Also most genius scientists make their major breakthroughs in their 20's to early 30's which is the age of millennials now so if the innovation is not happening now or the next 10 years it probably won't happen at all
>>
Pastor Anderson really says it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa7hbj4RI00
>>
>>2262059
Also, being the kids of war heroes, they started their mature life with a generation-wise frustration of doing something great. So they tried and experimented with everything without ever thinking of the consequences, just to quench that thirst of recognition from their heroic parents
>>
ah, another le boomers ruined everything for us thread

it was a different era fuckfaces. it has nothing to do with them as people. it's also naive to ignore the fact that the current generation is most entitled, instant gratification, consumerist pieces of trash that has ever existed
>>
>>2262287
>>>2262240
>>>2262273
>Nuclear renaissance when

What this anon said.

This horse-shit notion that 'resources are depleted' is just that: Horse Shit.

We are not 'running out' of a damn thing.

The problem is environmentalism has metastasized from a well-meaning and well-intentioned social movement into a toxicly anti-human religion.

Yes, I said religion.

Environmentalism is a religion which makes it dogma that no source of energy except the anointed one "renewable energy" is to be allowed, period, ever.

Unfortunately, the laws of physics do not give a damn what your dogma is, and as ten years and hundreds of billions of dollars of investment have proved is: Renewables don't fucking work.

We need to dig the memetic cancer that is the environmental religion out of governance worldwide and get back to using power sources that work.

A big whack of infrastructure upgrades that are not cell-towers would be nice too, come to think of it.
>>
File: implying.jpg (29KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
29KB, 500x365px
>>2262424
>Renewables don't fucking work
>>
>>2262437
Aren't a lot of those renewable energy sources in Germany heavily subsidized?
>>
>>2262418
millenials are the least consumerist though. we buy the least houses, cars, clothes, dine out the least of any extant generation. most only have one phone and computer
>>
>>2262441
All energy is subsidized because its the most important and profitable investment a country can make
>>
>>2262447
Uhh I 'm pretty sure that hydro, oil and gas are profitable in their own right.
>>
>>2262454
Yeah, that's why you subsidize them dumbass
>>
>>2262337
Wait, there's no black people on 4chan..
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 320x320px
>mfw boomers are responsible for millennials
>mfw millennials will be responsible for the turbocancer generation
>mfw the turbocancer generation will soon mature
You ain't seen nothin yet
>>
>>2262456
...What?
>>
>>2262456
>comparing shit energy sources that need heavy governmental support and have an extremely long payback period to proven, trusted energy sources under control of the most powerful corporations
>>
File: Clean_German_Power_1.png (3MB, 1861x1299px) Image search: [Google]
Clean_German_Power_1.png
3MB, 1861x1299px
>>2262437
>>Renewables don't fucking work

Ah, look, a dutiful green worshipper shows up to defend their dogma.

How did that whole 'shut down the nukes' idiocy work out for your religion, mate?

Don't worry though! You have lots and lots of delicious brown coal to burn.
>>
>>2262465

Are you calling yourself turbocancer?
>>
>>2262424

>This horse-shit notion that 'resources are depleted' is just that: Horse Shit.

What do you mean by this? Are you telling me that we have infinite resources?
>>
>>2262488
I'm fairly sure most people here are millenials. R-right?
>>
>>2262465
No, Gen Z are even more isolated than Millennials and more dependent on electronics but at least those kids seem to be more aware of how shitty the world is around them. They didn't grow up in the 90s after all and aren't being coddled as much
>>
>>2262485
Did a hippie steal your girlfriend or something?
>>
>>2262485

So you're one of the "i'll be dead when we run out of resources so it's not my problem" guys?
>>
>>2262287
Why is there such a stigma about Nuclear energy anyway?
>>
>>2262493
Far from infinite, but they are abundant enough and we are becoming progressively more efficient.

The real problems imo are soil erosion, the destruction of habitats and the extinction of species.
>>
>>2262510
Chernobyl
>>
>>2262493
>Are you telling me that we have infinite resources?

Straw man argument, appeal to infinities.

By definition, there cannot be any infinite resource. I am ashamed that you would even bring that word into this conversation, but this IS 4-chan, after all.

I spent years, YEARS, telling all the Peak Oil and Die-off lunatics they were full of shit, and I got lambasted roundly for it.

We will never, in a matter of practicality, "run out" of any natural resource. Period.

Teach yourself about the resource response curve, namely, the economic feedback cycle.

In a nutshell:

Resource becomes scarce.
Price rises.
Because the resource is now valuable, the market searches for more of it.
More of the resource is found, or, replacement resources become economically viable.
Resource becomes plentiful.
Price falls due to abundance.
No one searches for more of resource, because other things are better investments.
Resource becomes scarce.
Return to beginning of cycle.

People have been gutting themselves over Peak Oil nonsense for decades, and it is UTTER IDIOCY.

We're not running out of a damn thing.
>>
>>2262510
A history of nuclear accidents combined with the problem of what to do with the waste which lasts for bloody ever.

>>2262505
Not him but I think it's idiotic that we are taxed to support "green" energy projects. If they cannot compete they should not be built.
>>
>>2262519
When do you estimate that we will run out of oil then? Since you say you believe we will.
>>
>>2262519
>>2262516

>Because the resource is now valuable, the market searches for more of it.

And what if there's none of it left on the planet?

I know it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Everyone here will be long dead before that happens. But even if it's in thousands of years, it's gonna happen. And we're going to need to find a solution eventually.
>>
>pol hates boomers
>boomers are the only thing as a population which bulwarks white genocide
Really makes one ponder
>>
>>2262520

>Not him but I think it's idiotic that we are taxed to support "green" energy projects. If they cannot compete they should not be built.

I agree, more research should be done so that it can eventually become efficient enough to compete.
>>
>>2261949
they voted liberal when they were 18
>>
>>2262530
There are almost infinite resources in the Solar System. Really, we won't run out of resources
>>
>>2262531
>admits White genocide is real
Really flips my pancakes.
>>
>>2262519
>Price rises.
>More of the resource is found, or, replacement resources become economically viable.
>Resource becomes plentiful.
>Price falls due to abundance.

If new resources become economically viable, the prices will not fall back to their old levels because they have only become viable at this risen price.
>>
>>2262544

And what happens if we run out of resources before we find a way to discover and extract resources from asteroids and other planets?
>>
File: kekyllandhyde.png (769KB, 687x578px) Image search: [Google]
kekyllandhyde.png
769KB, 687x578px
>>2262544
>He thinks mining coal in outer fucking space is more efficient than solar panels and windmills.
>>
>>2262553
lol we are nowhere near that point
>>
>>2262520
>>>2262510
>A history of nuclear accidents combined with the problem of what to do with the waste which lasts for bloody ever.

Horse Shit.

Nuclear energy, even using plants we designed sixty years ago with chalk boards, is the safest form of electrical generation, period.

Look it up.

As for nuclear waste, we know exactly how to get rid of it. We've known exactly how to get rid of it for fifty years. It's called the closed nuclear fuel cycle, where you feed in heavy metal and output a small stream of long-lived fission products, of which there are only seven and we know exactly how to handle all of them.

Namely, dig a deeeeeeep hole and drop them in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-lived_fission_product#Long-lived_fission_products

This myth that nuclear waste is this terrible and intractable issue that cannot be solved is utter baloney.

Learn some facts.
>>
>>2262517
>>2262520
>blaming the energy source because the accidents are more spectacular, even though it has killed less than the other options
Also the waste problem is an issue, but maybe we could find a solution if we actually, oh I dunno, invested in Nuclear energy. I mean fuck most reactors are the shitty old light water reactors when we have better and more efficient (and safer) reactor technologies but nobody wants to bother replacing the old ones because 'muh nuclear boogeyman'.
>>
>>2262527
>>>2262519 (You)
>When do you estimate that we will run out of oil then? Since you say you believe we will.

Did....

Did you even read what I wrote?

I said repeatedly, and forcefully, that we WILL NOT RUN OUT, of anything, ever.

Wow. What are they teaching kids these days.
>>
>>2262562
why did you quote me? I was just asking why Nuclear energy has such a bad rap. I know it's not really all that bad. Hell I'd go so far as to personally call myself pro-nuclear.
>>
>>2262562
Buying it in the ground and pretending like it's not there is not a real solution.
>>
>>2262556
Would you rather cover entire countries in solar panels or windmills to obtain the same energy?
Of course going back and forth to space will become more economical over time as well
>>
>>2262579
>Buying it in the ground and pretending like it's not there is not a real solution.

You do realize, that if it's buried in the ground...IT'S NOT A PROBLEM.

So, yes, as a matter of fact, burying it IS a solution.

Hell, the LLFP's are so minor, it's completely viable to get rid of the worst of them (technetium-99) by just dissolving it into the oceans.

We've been doing that for years, and it works perfectly.

Burying it is actually a step in the right direction. :)
>>
>>2262566
>we could find a solution if we actually, oh I dunno, invested in Nuclear energy

That is a big maybe and a big cop out on the "if we only invested" bit? If it is a sound idea with good potential it can find investors on it's own.
>>
>>2262464
There aren't? Then...what the hell am I?
>>
>>2262589
>IT'S NOT A PROBLEM

This is just retarded.

There is a very good reason why nuclear waste is not just dumped into "really big holes" and forgotten about. You need to keep it sealed and isolated so it does not just contaminate the fuck out of everything. We don't build giant concrete bunkers to put the stuff in just for fun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_cask_storage
>>
>>2262520
>the problem of what to do with the waste which lasts for bloody ever.
Make them into nuclear weapons, problem solved.
>>
>>2262582
Strawman, plenty of countries now have a significant share of their electricity generated by renewable sources without having to "cover entire countries in solar panels" (see Germany, China, Norway).

I don't think you understand just how expensive space travel is. Even traveling to Mars takes years and would easily cost billions, not to mention solving the current psychological problem of locking a group of people up for years in such a small space. And then we're not even talking about mention the immense cost of the research of how to get there, how to make it habitable, research whether there are even fossil fuels in the first place and how to extract them efficiently.

Also, do you know how current spacecraft generate most of their energy? Solar power, which you still say "doesn't fucking work". I know you're probably a troll but this kind of thinking annoys the shit out of me.
>>
>>2262605
>>IT'S NOT A PROBLEM
>This is just retarded.
>There is a very good reason why nuclear waste

Stop right there.

I am not talking about traditional nuclear waste.

Nuclear waste from today's fleet of reactors is 'spent' nuclear fuel rods. (And some activation stuff, blah blah, that crap is pretty minor.)

I am referring specifically, and only, to a closed nuclear fuel cycle, whose only externalized wastes of note are the seven long-lived fission products.

The nuclear waste in dry casks is the product of the current once-through fuel cycle, also known as burn and dump, which is only used because, let's be frank, Uranium is CHEAP.

Uranium is so abundant, and so cheap, the only way to keep a lid on access to it is by limiting enrichment plants...which is why the Iran deal is such a colossal stinker.

But that's another discussion. :)
>>
>>2262622
Do any of those reactors exist?

Are they economically viable?
>>
>>2262544
>There are almost infinite resources in the Solar System. If those reasources aren't economically viable to extract (they're not) they might as well not exist.
>>
>>2262556
Coal is made from dead plant matter. There's no coal in space.
>A fossil fuel, coal forms when dead plant matter is converted into peat, which in turn is converted into lignite, then sub-bituminous coal, after that bituminous coal, and lastly anthracite.
>>
>>2262510
Fear mongering after Chernobyl basically
The Rise of Nuclear Fear by Spencer Weart covers it pretty well
>>
>>2262630

They exist, for example Fukushima used mox, which is reprocessed fuel, (and it's a problem because plutonium is worse than uranium in terms of pollution.)

Nuclear fission is not economically viable in any case. (Well it is for the private businesses which take the profits as long as the state pays for the buildings and the waste processing)
>>
>>2262630
>Do any of those reactors exist?
>Are they economically viable?

No, because in 1994 our good buddy President Clinton killed the Integral Fast Reactor project as a political sop to the Green Religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor

Twenty-three years of stagnation and counting!

The amount of harm this foolish act has caused to the planet is nearly incalculable. Fukushima was a direct result of President Clinton cancelling the IFR, for example, not to mention all the Green Church organizations worldwide who have made it their religious jihad to stymie all advancement of the industry.

As for economic viability, absolutely. The fuel source for a closed-fuel-cycle reactor is effectively free, compared to the fuel source for any fossil-fueled plant.

The plant footprint required for a closed-fuel-cycle plant is miniscule compared to any 'renewable' technology, because nuclear is very energy dense and benefits from the square-cube law.

The square-cube law is a detriment to solar and wind, for example.

The Green Religion has spread their dogma so far and wide these days, it'll be a generation before the brainwashing clears.

And honestly, with fracking, it's not like we NEED nuclear power, we have all the fossil fuels we can stand to use.

What could go wrong? :)
>>
>>2262733
NOT IN MY BACKYARD
>>
>>2262765
>NOT IN MY BACKYARD

Oh, look, a Green Believer uncritically recites the dogma he's been spoon-fed his entire life.

I'm kind of amazed, I've never seen that happen before.
>>
>>2262733
>And honestly, with fracking, it's not like we NEED nuclear power, we have all the fossil fuels we can stand to use.

True but eventually we will need it.

Our lack of need is another reason we don't build them come to think of it. If electricity prices were astronomical I'm sure it would get more support from the public.
>>
>>2262733
>The fuel source for a closed-fuel-cycle reactor is effectively free, compared to the fuel source for any fossil-fueled plant.
Buying fuel is one of the least expensive parts of operating a nuclear power plant. Most of the money goes into building the plant itself.
>>
>>2262733
>No, because in 1994 our good buddy President Clinton killed the Integral Fast Reactor project as a political sop to the Green Religion.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_fast_reactor

>he final count was to 52 to 46 to terminate the program, with 36 republicans and 16 democrats voting for its termination, while just 8 republicans and 38 democrats voted for its continuation.[42]
Yeah dude, it was totally those Clinton and his damn dirty Democrats who shut the plant down.
>>
>>2262815
>implying it's only a Green line

Keep that shit out of my backyard, along with the halfway houses, drug rehabilitation clinics, and homeless shelters. No thank you. Build that shit somewhere else.

That's what you're really up against, anon. There's always going to be a negative association with anything power-related, from ugly-ass wind farms near a (((Trump))) golf course to a couple of smoke stacks that remind people of Fukushima. We're not rational creatures, but emotional ones. You just won't be able to win this fight, at least not in the foreseeable future.
>>
The largest issue in several countries from boomers gets ignored in favour of social issues everytime.

The incredibly high cost of entitlements which has created the debt and deficit in the US today is undoubtedly the largest mark left by the boomers. Not just in the US either, but in most of Europe and anglo nations to a lesser degree.

The real tragedy is that (irrespective of the state of millenials as they are now) boomers are the first generation of many and perhaps the first ever in many countries that not only leave their kids worse off than themselves but are actively indebting their children to pay for extremely unsustainable welfare programs that their kids will foot the bill for.

How do boomers defend the deficit when 60c on every dollar of govt spending goes to entitlements ( of which their share of the pie is 70%-80%)?

These are real tangible problems boomers created on their own that no other generation saw on this scale.
>>
>>2262859
>You just won't be able to win this fight, at least not in the foreseeable future.

So, fracking it is!

Who'd have thought that in the second decade of the third millenium, good old America would STILL be the largest producer of oil in the whole world?

Hell, thanks to fracking, the biggest problem in the oil market right now is how to keep the price from collapsing!

>Resource becomes scarce.
>Price rises.
>More of the resource is found, or, replacement resources become economically viable.
>Resource becomes plentiful.
>Price falls due to abundance.
>No one searches for more of resource, because other things are better investments.
>Resource becomes scarce.
>Return to beginning of cycle.

Oil is currently at the 'nobody is looking for more because we're drowning in the greasy black shit' stage.

With fracking, the US could pump enough oil to stop importing ANY. This would crash Saudi Arabia's entire economy, and frankly, it sounds like a great idea.

Why are we sending our money to people who hate us?
>>
>>2261978
>did not push for legalization of drugs
But you should. Drugs are going to be a constant whether you like it or not, and keeping them illegal only maintains the "naughty" appeal which draws youth, not to mention keeping the money flowing into the pockets of drug dealers.
>>
>>2262597
Stanley?
>>
>>2262992
>Who'd have thought that in the second decade of the third millenium, good old America would STILL be the largest producer of oil in the whole world?
It's not. Russia and Saudi Arabia produce more.
>With fracking, the US could pump enough oil to stop importing ANY.
keep dreaming m8
>>
>>2263008
Republicans believe even drug dealing is a job Americans don't want to do.
>>
>>2262424

hello slavoj
>>
>>2262015

When they actively take measures to ensure you live in a worse time, yeah, you should hate them.
>>
I was born in 1998. That would put me at the very front end of Z, right? I remember seeing shit about millenials on the news when I was an elementary school kid, so I figure that can't quite be me.
>>
>>2263353
The line is 2000 to 2002 depending on who you ask.

You're one of the very youngest millennials.
>>
File: IMG_8692.jpg (52KB, 619x501px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8692.jpg
52KB, 619x501px
>>2262345
They're apparently more socially conservative than boomers

>Tfw my generation has been brainwashed by cultural marxism and won't be the generation that will save the West
>>
>>2263575
Gen Z aint even old enough to vote yet, so where the hell is anyone getting this data from?
>>
File: price-of-solar-power-drop-graph.jpg (155KB, 650x803px) Image search: [Google]
price-of-solar-power-drop-graph.jpg
155KB, 650x803px
>>2262424
>>
>>2262510
When Baby Boomers were kids they were all taught to hide under their desks in the event of a nuclear attack and now as old people have this completely irrational hatred of them which unites both liberal and conservative, to the point where America's energy portfolio is dominated almost exclusively by fossil fuels
>>
File: nuklear.jpg (92KB, 800x445px) Image search: [Google]
nuklear.jpg
92KB, 800x445px
>>2263723
>>
File: cost overrun.png (30KB, 660x439px) Image search: [Google]
cost overrun.png
30KB, 660x439px
>>2263753
>>
>>2262465
I'm 20, turning 21 this year. Am I turbocancer?
>>
>>2262733

All of this energy resource, but for what purpose?
>>
>>2261896
>boomers push culture into being less experienced
>Rock n Roll
>sex, and drugs
>hippie movements
>fuck you dad, I'm running away

>boomers grow up
>pass down rock n roll
>can't control it
>rock n roll amplified by 1000
>sex n druges Amplified by 1000
>hippies amplified by 1000

YOU
FUCKING
TELL
ME
>>
>>2261204
Those people are too old to be Baby Boomers
>>
>>2264245
yeah thems the greatest generation
>>
>>2263796
millennial faggot
>>
>>2263680
>gen Z is not old enough to vote

mid 1990's to 2000s

yeah they are you fucking idiot
>>
>>2261544
>boomers
>reading
>>
>>2263796
nah you're gen z apparently
>>
>tfw born in 1995
>too late for millennial
>too early for gen z

>gen z is described as way better than fucking millennial

fuckk yes, I lucked out
>>
>>2262454
>Hydro
>Profitable
>>
>all these plebs ITT who don't realize hating on boomers simply obfuscates the structural problems inherent to welfare capitalism

baka desu senpai
>>
>>2262401
>Well all the "low hanging fruit" technology has already been discovered
"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, 1899
>>
>>2263021
Not that anon, but just checked it out and the US has the largest reserves, so it's isn't unthinkable to stop importing. In practice, the gains from stopping those imports probably don't justify the implied economic effort.

>>2264399
The thing is, most areas are at a point where improvements are quantitative, not qualitative, and those just don't look as amazing. No matter how much you improve planes or telecommunications, that just isn't as cool as inventing the airplane or the internet. There few unexplored frontiers left, so to speak.
>>
>>2262424
>Environmentalism is a religion which makes it dogma that no source of energy except the anointed one "renewable energy" is to be allowed, period, ever.

Kill yourself, boomer
>>
>>2262474

>he doesn't know that fossil fuels are also subsidized

rofl
>>
>>2262424

Except helium

Muh helium
>>
>>2263293
Then they would be surprised at the amount of working class folks who sell a little on the side to earn something extra, or the amount of meth labs in their hick states.
>>
>>2264471

They aren't, they're either nationalized or they receive tax-cuts the same way every other industries.
Only green-tech is subsidized the way it is.

I'm not criticizing this btw.
>>
>>2261204
Your generation
>>
Why dont we just blast nuclear waste in the direction of the sun?
>>
>>2264861
First off that's a waste of a perfectly good space craft (and in most cases the spent nuclear rods aren't garbage either), secondly that'd be insanely expensive with no real pay off other than 'hey this stuff is gone'.
>>
>>2264931
"Cost" should not be a factor when it comes to our planet's health.
>>
>>2261204
Whichever generation who opened the floodgates for thirld-worlders in your nation, so those who had the ability to vote in 1964 in USA for the 1965 immigration act, the germans who voted in merkel, the swedes who voted in the last 3 state ministers and olof palme
>>
>>2264931
>secondly that'd be insanely expensive with no real pay off other than 'hey this stuff is gone'.
i don't think you understand how long term storage of nuclear waste is supposed to work
>>
>>2264975
And yet it is, thanks capitalism for that.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-23-07-07-58.png (339KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-23-07-07-58.png
339KB, 1080x1920px
>>2261946
Gen Z started around the end of 1996, so some 18 year olds even i would be considered gen Z as i was born just past the date and i'm 20
>>
Why did this become a discussion about nuclear energy?
>>
Boomers created a whole lot of societal problems.

They created the massive cult of individualism and fragmentation of society making common projects nigh impossible.

They enjoyed the liberation enabled by the pill but being extra-ordinarily large generation had barely any children causing massive need for immigrant work force.

And with women having largely received equality in all sectors of life family unit has been destroyed and salaries stagnated to oblivion.
>>
File: 1421459093840.jpg (139KB, 1024x942px) Image search: [Google]
1421459093840.jpg
139KB, 1024x942px
>mfw I had a Teacher in College (who was boomer) basically say that Boomers got live a life of comfort not known to any generation before, and if things remain the same, the generations after.
>>
>>2261204
I always wonder what makes people assblasted enough to make pictures like this. They must have really shitty parents or something.
>>
File: Angry Shinji.jpg (142KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Shinji.jpg
142KB, 750x1000px
Millennials and Boomers are both contenders for "worst generation in American history".

Honestly, while the Boomers fucked more things up, at least they have better music than the Millennials. Boomers and Gen X had the best tunes, Millennials have shit.

>Boomers: Elvis Presley, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival

>Gen X: Nirvana, NWA, Beastie Boys, Mayhem, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Outlaw Country movement

>Millennials: Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Kanye West, Fetty Wap, Nickelback

What the fuck happened?

Fuck the Millennials for being so dumb and pathetic, and fuck the Boomers for causing the conditions that made them that way.
>>
>>2265282
You know, I saw your anime avatar and initially I was thinking you were one of those self-hating Millennials who grew up listening to oldies radio, but then you mention Mayhem and Siouxsie and the Banshees, neither of which are mainstream or get any airplay on classic rock or oldies and classic hits stations, so you may actually be a pissed off Gen X dude.

Gen X was the most screwed over generation ever. They got fucked over by the Boomers and had the misfortune of creating the Millennials.

It sucks living with one monster and then knowing you helped make another.
>>
>>2261204
Boomers were more destructive, Millennials are more pathetic.
>>
>>2265282
Nirvana is edgy crap.
>>
>>2261978
Conservatives pushed for destruction of the monarchy.
Literally every problem America has today can be traced back to the right because they decided to fracture away from Britain.
>>
>>2264861
Because it costs about 475 dollars PER GRAM to lift something into space, much less send it on a flight trajectory towards the sun
>>
>>2265282
>>Boomers:
Implying older generations didn't dismiss Boomer music as jungle noise
>Millennials
>What the fuck happened?
corporations took over music, that's what happened.

All of the musical talent for Millennials these days is in the Indie scene and only low information retards care about pop
>>
>>2265282

>Nirvana, NWA, Beastie Boys, Mayhem, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Outlaw Country movement

lmao
>>
>>2262345
High potential. Things can still go either way.
>>
File: 227.jpg (101KB, 480x571px) Image search: [Google]
227.jpg
101KB, 480x571px
Reminder that "Millenial" has an actual defined age bracket and that things may get interesting soon:

>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss%E2%80%93Howe_generational_theory
>>
File: pep.png (5KB, 610x514px) Image search: [Google]
pep.png
5KB, 610x514px
>>2265734
>we are the weak men who create hard times
>>
>>2265012
Hence why we need socialism
>>
>>2262582
Have you ever seen Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, basically any desert? It's a fucking wasteland the moment you set foot outside the tourist areas, and even then. Cover that in solar panels.
>>2265103
4chan.
>>
>>2262240

the fuck? You realise that we are the most educated generation at any point in human history and we have more money/labour in STEM fields that ever before?

Fuck landing on the moon, millennials are going to be living on other planets.
>>
>>2267506
You realize that the average college degree is more worthless now than at any point since like the 1700s.

I agree with you that we're probably going to do cool shit, but the education system in this countries is fucked.
>>
>>2267560

The degree is only worthless because everyone has one. However, the knowledge and standard of education you have is absolutely not worth nothing.
>>
>>2262352
Where is this graph from?
>>
Boomers fucked us and future generations big time. By the time things become normal again, we'll be too old.
>>
File: 1.png (107KB, 2080x820px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
107KB, 2080x820px
>>2262352
>>
>>2267699
SIPRI.

Now that I think about it, the Swedes aren't generally to be trust, but the other sources I've looked at back it up.
>>
File: MjM1OTIxMQ.jpg (105KB, 960x711px) Image search: [Google]
MjM1OTIxMQ.jpg
105KB, 960x711px
>>2267560
>is more worthless now than at any point since like the 1700s.
that has nothing to do with the quality of education. In times past liberal arts majors had careers lined up in the business sector (where their study of other people contributed towards their ability to work in a professional setting) while all of the major technical firms like IBM and Boeing were snatching up all the STEM majors to make them into actual engineers through training, persistence, and a sweet pension plan.

flash forward to the present and computerization has rendered most of those business opportunities redundant for most liberal arts majors and now all of the STEM majors are being snatched up by wall street firms to be glorified overpaid papershufflers because the few technicians and engineers that technical firms still need they can outsource outsource to cheaper foreign sources.

In colonial times education wasn't seen as necessary because it readied people for their careers (most people were farmers and you don't need to learn Latin to be a good farmer) it was seen as necessary because an educated, well informed population is the single greatest safeguard against tyranny.
>>
File: Boomeridle_1.png (226KB, 441x587px) Image search: [Google]
Boomeridle_1.png
226KB, 441x587px
>>2261204
Millenials are dooming the genepool in most of the western world, but boomers did a good job of setting them up to do so.
>>
>>2267860
Millennials breed?
>>
File: Fullmetal Alchemist Way to Live.jpg (405KB, 1280x1232px) Image search: [Google]
Fullmetal Alchemist Way to Live.jpg
405KB, 1280x1232px
>>2261204
I'd say Boomer's are a symptom of a larger problem, but that just also created several more problems. All of which we and future generations now bear the burden of fixing and which Boomer's don't want to take responsibility for.
>>2261896
They made alot of shitty, short sighted decisions that they reaped all the benefits from but when the time came to face the consequences of their actions and what they'd done, they were too cowardly and lazy to own up, or even admit it was their fault; and pushed the responsibility onto future generations to clean up their mess and wipe their asses for them. And before anyone sees the links I'm posting and wants to go on about the "alt right", everything I posted can be is either a direct or indirect consequence of Boomer actions and doing what I just said above
>inb4 hurr durr Drumpf, alt right hurr durr
>https://radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/pump-and-dump/
>https://radishmag.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/fair-sex/
>http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/12/04/the-sexodus-part-1-the-men-giving-up-on-women-and-checking-out-of-society/
>http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/12/09/the-sexodus-part-2-dishonest-feminist-panics-leave-male-sexuality-in-crisis/
>https://whoism3.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/confessions-of-a-reformed-incel/
>>2261946
The "Greatest Generation" applying to any of them is nothing but a lie.
>>
File: What's Wrong With Feminism.png (125KB, 1344x1263px) Image search: [Google]
What's Wrong With Feminism.png
125KB, 1344x1263px
>>2267910
>>
>>2261949
Boomers destroyed conservatism and left us with parties that are either left or really far left.
>>
>>2261978
No, they just opened the borders, created the welfare state, gave us no-fault divorce and alimony, and brought us militant feminism.
>>
>>2265619
Even the indie scene sucks, it's all hipster garbage
>>
>>2267929
>>2267932
Boomers brought us Reaganism: Neoliberalism at home, Imperialism abroad, trade deals and immigration policy specifically designed to screw over labor.

>>2268909
90% of everything is shit, including whatever dadrock you're still listening too
>>
>>2268933
forgot pic
>>
>>2267831
>In colonial times education wasn't seen as necessary because it readied people for their careers (most people were farmers and you don't need to learn Latin to be a good farmer) it was seen as necessary because an educated, well informed population is the single greatest safeguard against tyranny.
Education was only heavily invested after the Industrial revolution because a factory worker requires some basic education and literacy, which is the equivalent to a high school graduate today.
>>
>>2268933
It may be dadrock. but it's a hell of a lot better and more enjoyable than modern pop or indie hipster garbage.

Even the corporate pop of the Boomers and Gen X were a hell of a lot better than what came afterwards.

Rock & Roll was born in the 1950's and died somewhere in the 2000's. It will be missed.

To get back on topic, Boomers were the most destructive generation in American history, but the Millennials are more pathetic and cringeworthy.
>>
events like three mile island and Chernobyl released radiation in the atmosphere and probably increase the cancer rate due to it

they are also the ones that pushed media attention away from HIV and gutted its research for years allowing it to spread without problems

thus Boomers can be blamed for cancer AND AIDS
>>
>>2262419
>current generation is most entitled, instant gratification, consumerist pieces of trash that has ever existed

no that's still the Boomers
>>
>>2262099
>whining about pollution from inconsiderate past generations and feminists letting women steal men's jobs in the same picture

I feel like this would only be posted on 4chan.
>>
>>2261544
There is nothing wrong with this statement.
>>
>>2270676
>There is nothing wrong with this statement.
>MILLENIALS ARE SHIT AND EVIL!
>Implying you're any better
>VIDEO GAMES ARE EVIL!
>TV IS EVIL! FUN IS EVIL!
>Implying videos games haven't become very successful industry, great games can't be appreciated, genuinely good tv shows haven't come out and video games or television can't teach you anything
I used to,and still do to a point. use video games, anime/manga, tv, the internet, reading and researching on my own to learn things and delve into subjects because I hated the as school system
>BOOKS ARE THE ONLY GOOD!
I'll agree everyone should read
>LEARN OR I WILL BEAT YOU!
>Learn the bullshit I want you to like a mindless sheep or I'll resort to what should be the last measure for solving many problems and hit you
>RESPECT YOUR ELDERS!
>Implying grown adults that push their responsibility and fuck ups onto others, and don't bother to have or do anything respectable about themselves deserve to be respected, least of all because their "older" and that anyone should see their advanced age as anything but the fact that they just got got older and never bothered to learn anything or learn from their mkistakes
>inb4 "the alt right again"
>http://www.returnofkings.com/73128/many-of-you-can-ignore-the-5th-commandment
Cringey. But good points
>https://ericolon.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/kids-dont-owe-their-parents-jack-shit/
>https://desuarchive.org/fit/thread/39831652/#39839986
I'm not going to say that a few of the above are completely devoid of merit but you're attitude is also why things have gotten so bad
>>
>>2261946
The majority of 4chan posters are millenials. Why is there such a hate for them here?
>>
>>2271062
Millennials tend to hate other millennials, while simultaneously cringing at being called a millennial.
>>
>>2271062
The majority of 4chan is also self loathing. Put two and two together.
>>
Millennials are the strongest generations
>born in bad times caused by Baby Boomers
>Hero generation
>Liberal and altruistic like heroes
I am proud to be a millennial
>>
>>2264472
>Except helium
>Muh helium

LOL.

Interesting fact: Helium is probably the most common element manufactured in nuclear reactors.

"Alpha particles" are basically helium atoms once they scarf up a couple of electrons from the environment.

Even more interesting, most of the helium deposits in the Earth come from the alpha decay of radioactive minerals present since the Earth formed.

Half of the Earth's U-238, about 98 percent of the U235, 70 percent of the potassium-40, and a good nibble of the thorium have all decayed inside the Earth, and all those alpha particles became helium.
>>
>>2261204

This is a /pol/ thread

/pol/ and /int/ are both shit and now it spills over onto /his/
>>
>>2267506
>millennials are going to be living on other planets.

How, exactly?

The US just cancelled all human spaceflight, we're getting to the 'space station' on rockets designed sixty years ago, and all the 'new' rocket designs are exactly like the old rocket designs.

Getting into space in a serious fashion will demand either real heavy lift rockets, or, a different way of getting out of the Earth's gravity well.

We don't have either.
>>
>>2267734

Correlation is not causation.

Sheesh, this is such basic stuff, I thought kids these days were supposed to be smart.
>>
>>2265734
Forget it, it's too late for us to get our shit together and do great things
>>
>>2272764
yeah we are already like 20 some even 30!

our time has past
>>
>>2272787
Well most people's personal breakthroughs happen before they are 30.
>>
>>2267915
Wow man, this dude was inspired
>>
>>2267607
If I could, I would give up on my education and recoup the time and money spent doing something else
>>
>>2267506
We'll never leave this rock at this rate
>>
>>2267910
Those articles are black-pilling me pretty bad. We have Trump for the next four years minimum to make the wounds less server but I feel that the damage has already been done.
>>
>>2265103
>Why did this become a discussion about nuclear energy?

Because the historical decision, driven by a tiny minority of pressure groups, to pivot from nuclear energy to 'renewables' has big fucking consequences.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/24/air-pollution-london-passes-levels-beijingand-wood-burners-making/

Yeah, this is an article from TODAY about how bad the smog is in London.

Why?

Wood burning stoves.

Why the fuck are they using wood burning stoves?

Because electricity and other fuels are fucking expensive.

Why is electricity so damn expensive?

Fucking renewables.

The decisions made by idiot politicians to appease a small bunch of fanatics have big consequences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_London

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-30826128

I would laugh at the idiots that brought this upon us, but it's really not a laughing matter, as you can see the fools in that first article looking to fix the bad air by doing even stupider things like banning cars.

Those who do not learn history, repeat it.
>>
File: tumblr_n06w9p2emk1qdmuvzo1_400.jpg (52KB, 400x391px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n06w9p2emk1qdmuvzo1_400.jpg
52KB, 400x391px
>>2269004
>It may be dadrock. but it's a hell of a lot better and more enjoyable than modern pop or indie hipster garbage.
You say you want to get back on topic about how destructive Baby Boomers are and then you repeat the lies that they parrot about the music of "their" generation being the best.

Every generation has it's 10% of innovative musical groundbreakers and every generation has its 90% who are derivative trendfollowers. Most of the time we don't even appreciate the innovators until after they're gone.

And keep in mind that as people age they lose their taste for novelty. They simply stop appreciating the younger generation's music because they're too busy looking back at their own generation's music or the music of generations past for the "best of the best" and forget the rest. This fosters a sentiment that music has gone to shit when really it's they themselves who have changed.
>>
>>2262636
They will become economically viable to extract thanks to better technology
>>
>>2272900
>Those articles are black-pilling me pretty bad.

You've been reading the wrong news, mate. The mainstream media lies and lies. Hell, that would be all right if they were fair about their shit, but liberals get off without any scrutiny while conservatives get grilled like fresh fish.

Read places like breitbart, drudge, westmonster, powerlineblog. Get some perspective on the rest of the news the mainstream won't tell you.

We're in the dying years of a Golden Age, and it's going to be a rough ride moving forward.

Look to history to see what happens when the few feed lies to the many.
>>
>>2272906
Could renewables ever become profitable and worthwhile on their own right?
>>
File: chart.jpg (107KB, 2080x820px) Image search: [Google]
chart.jpg
107KB, 2080x820px
>>2267734
I guess we should cut back on chicken too, then
>>
>>2272945
>Could renewables ever become profitable and worthwhile on their own right?

For existing technologies, for any given amount of engineering effort, you get back the most energy from nuclear fission.

The enemies of fission power have masked this by placing ridiculously over-the-top restrictions on the entire industry, so that the price is driven up and new technology is stymied.

Seriously, most nuclear reactors are thirty to fifty years old. Why not tear them down and build better ones?

The Integral Fast Reactor would have changed the world, literally, and for the better, and thus it was suppressed, right along with all nuclear. The US ban on recycling nuclear fuel in the 70's and the following abandonment of breeder reactors, both for political reasons, were terrible, terrible decisions.

Future generations will look at this much like we, today, look upon the abandonment of the seas by China:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

Chinese politics led them to foolishly abandon the seas: As a result, Europe created the American colonies and the United States was born.

Similarly, the United States is currently abandoning nuclear power and space exploration.

The great empire that replaces us will be the ones who embrace both.

Learn from history, or repeat it.
>>
File: renewable_costs.gif (73KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
renewable_costs.gif
73KB, 960x720px
>>2273021
The renewable market is not the enemy of nuclear power. The Oil Lobby is. They're the ones making sure that America is putting all of its energy eggs in the oil basket while keeping its investments in renewables and nuclear to a bare minimum.

In practice we should be investing more in both. Renewables have been plummeting in cost and eventually it will reach a point of parity, where it's more cost effective for a house to generate its own electricity with solar panels than it is to wire it from distant power-plants. It will be true energy independence for the multitudes and most people will create more electricity than their houses consume and they'll make money by simply existing.

Fission generators are incredibly impressive but DESU there should be a second Manhattan Project with the express goal of making workable nuclear fusion. Then we'll have limitless, cheap, clean energy with a 25 million year supply of fuel on Earth alone. The ramifications that this has not only for the economy, but for national security, are staggering.
>>
File: 1479408750712.jpg (27KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1479408750712.jpg
27KB, 850x400px
Gentlemen, I offer to you my solution.

Biofuels sourced by premium ethanol and cannabis/flax/rapeseed yields.

This is a renewable sources of energy, is an easy transition and of higher quality than bitumen oils.

Why don't they do it?
(((OPEC)))

Henry Ford and the International Jew, please read.

Thanks for your commentary.

T. Known Boss
>>
>>2273278
>Why don't they do it?

The Haber process.

The limiting factor in agri production is not sunlight, it is nitrogen. (Some other things are useful as well, but it's mostly nitrogen.)

Biofuels depend completely on the Haber process, which depends (today) on natural gas, aka, fossil fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haber_process

Lear more about how the world works, anon.
>>
>>2273182
>Renewables have been plummeting in cost

"Renewables" could be completely free, and they would still not be able to displace fossil fuels or nuclear, because the only 'renewable' energy that is dispatchable is hydro (total resource close to being exploited already) or geothermal (laughably poor energy source, due to low energy density and limited distribution.)

Dispatchable means, we can turn it on or off at will.

The reason why this is critical is due to the fact that we have no way to store large amounts of electricity.

LARGE amounts. The closest thing we have is converting electricity to potential energy with mountaintop storage, like Taum Sauk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taum_Sauk_Hydroelectric_Power_Station

"Renewable" advocates will never ever tell you about this, and only emphasize how much cheaper it's getting. Because it's in their best interest to mislead you.

Never mind the fact that both solar and wind power are planar technologies that cannot take advantage of the square-cube law of scaling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-cube_law

If you make a windmill twice as big, it becomes eight times as large, but only produces four times as much energy.

This is why commercial windmills are so tiny: Seven megawatts is about as big as they CAN be built, and they're still 650 feet tall.

https://metaefficient.com/news/new-record-worlds-largest-wind-turbine-7-megawatts.html

A nuclear reactor, on the other hand, is routinely rated at 1200 megawatts, and they can be made much bigger than that, easily. Plus, uranium has a LOT more power in it than wind does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density

Physics doesn't lie, and the laws of physics cannot be lobbied until you get them changed to favor you.
>>
I don't get what's wrong with feminism (not talking about microagressions etc bullshit here). Women can be free too. Why do you deny for others what you hold so dear to you, your freedom?

I don't understand.
>>
>>2274014
Because the microaggression bullshit is the natural followup of classical feminism. When women get a taste of power they will keep on pushing their limits. And since women are different from men you get shit like microaggressions being legit concerns among feminist circles. They don't care about male equality issues, only serving female interests.
>>
>>2261204
They truly liberated themselves, from any sense of responsibility or decency.
>>
>>2273957
pentlandite catalyzed hydrolysis
>>
>>2272520
Helium output of nuclear reactors is on the order of grams per decade.
>>
Let's feed the rich fat boomers to the poor starving millennials.

PROBLEM SOLVED.
>>
>>2261204
well basically the boomer's parrents fucked everything up by fighting against the national-socialists, which resulted a generation of weaklings that were the boomers
>>
>>2273182
>>2273978
Clearly the best solution is both you memers.
>>
File: 1457277495985.jpg (31KB, 681x224px) Image search: [Google]
1457277495985.jpg
31KB, 681x224px
>>2261978
The surrender of left-wing parties to the neoliberals in the 80s and 90s opened up the identity politics sphere as the rejects of the "New Left" from the 60s came home to roost.

The economic left holds much value for nationalists. The free market gives no special valuation to culture, race or nation. The cultural/social left in "left wing" parties (democrats/labour/etc) desperately try to hold down the economic left to retain their "credibility" and hold the discourse on-message.
>>
>>2261204
Is 1995 millennial or Z? I used to think I was millennial but one of my professors recently put 95 into Z. He can be kind of a retard though.
>>
>>2261978
Even if you think drugs are degenerate you would be a fool to not want to capitalize on one of the largest markets in the world. It's not like the laws keep anyone from buying and selling drugs anyway.

Abortion is much more cost effective than the other option, plus it helps stem cell research. Late abortions are a bit much for me though. I'm not sure where the line should be drawn I don;t have enough information.

I support the LGB part but not the T part.

Feminism makes me want to kill myself.

t. Millennial
>>
File: 1448533309862.jpg (23KB, 479x480px) Image search: [Google]
1448533309862.jpg
23KB, 479x480px
>>2265282
>literally le wrong generation: the post
>>
>>2273978
>muh nuclear is so perfect, if you have any problem with nuclear you're either a stupid eco-hippie or an oil industry shill
out of all the alternative energy shills you nuclear fags are the worst. if nuclear is so fucking great then how come there are no successful nuclear plants built without government money?
>>
>>2265282
You're not following the social trends to find where the good music. It used to be it was good to be mainstream so good music was mainstream. Or the other way if you prefer it doesn't matter.

Now being mainstream is looked down upon, so don't except to find good music there.
>>
>>2275090
>>2273978
>Dispatchable
But their advantage is that they don't require a fuel source, which is why responsible investors put their money in a diverse portfolio so that the strengths of one are outweighing the weaknesses of the other

>no way to store large amounts of electricity.
Which is precisely the reason why putting solar panels on the roofs of houses and office buildings makes more sense than making everyone dependent on a colossal and expensive power-plant which produces vast amounts of electricity for so cheaply that the plant never makes money and remain cost-ineffective for the amount of start up capital necessary to build one, and that's not including the massive amount of regulations necessary for keeping your power plants from being cost-cutted into a Chernobyl or Fukushima by penny-pinching bosses. And let's not even mention how they're national security issues and how nobody actually wants one in their backyard

Compare that to panels which have no moving parts and will sit there providing most (if not all) of its resident building's electrical needs. Now we're seeing houses powered by solar panels and electrical heat pumps to make houses whose footprint on the environment and on the power grid is effectively zero and the residents have no utility bills. These are the kind of houses people are buying

>wind
has its uses in the right situations, like rural communities
>>2274604
that's been my point from the beginning. I agree with him that we should be building nuclear plants instead of oil and coal plants.
>>2275064
>if you support renewable energy you're an eco-hippie
Jesus Christ with this meme, do you people realize that the renewable energy industry employs more people than any other energy including oil and gas? Not only is it cost effective, it's better for the economy.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/12/us-solar-industry-employees-grows-oil-gas
>hurr gubmint subsidies
every energy source is subsidized
>>
>>2275090
didn't mean to respond>>2275424
>>
>>2275424
>>if you support renewable energy you're an eco-hippie
Did you even read the post before you replied to it?
>every energy source is subsidized
Relative to how much energy they generate, fossil fuels have some of the lowest subsidies (in the US, at least. Wind and solar receive many times more money per unit of energy produced.
Fossil fuels would be relatively unaffected if subsidies were cut. The same can not be said for wind and solar.
>>
>>2275846
>Did you even read the post before you replied to it?
I did. It just irks me that anyone who defends renewable energy is automatically labeled as some eco-fruitbasket
>ind and solar receive many times more money per unit of energy produced.
That's because it's an emerging technology. The government "bakes" it until it reaches the point of commercial viability then allows the private market to take over. That's how basically every major technological advancement of the 20th century took place.
>>
>create culture where everyone wants a participation medal
>complain that everyone wants an award these days
>>
>>2275424
How many solar panels and windmills would we need to replicate what a few nuclear plants can do? Just wondering.

Just because sunlight is widely available doesn't mean it's practical or efficient to harvest its energy
>>
>>2277116
You're ignoring economies of scale. People won't need to purchase electricity generated and sent to their houses from distant power plants when the solar panels on their roof are producing all of the electricity needs for their house and maybe even an electric vehicle or two, (assuming that they're not all some kind of automated system which makes the cost of travelling and commuting a fraction of what it is today.) Even today houses are being built whose overall impact on the grid will be net positive, this trend is only going to accelerate in the next 20 to 50 years as panels become dirt cheap and convenient for all kinds of applications.

Is it feasible or practical to think that solar is a silver bullet which will serve all of our energy needs? Of course not. We'll still need power plants for large urban areas and for energy-intense applications, and there's no reason whatsoever why they couldn't be nuclear power-plants except for the one tiny detail that the U.S. government is in the pocket of oil billionaires.
>>
>>2268936
all the economic crises are in red.
hmmm...
>>
>>2277191
>U.S. government is in the pocket of oil billionaires.
lately, aside from trump, i'm not sure which party is less in the pocket of them
>>
>>2277236
>, aside from trump
You mean the guy who made the CEO of Exxon-Mobile his secretary of state?
>>
>>2277116
>How many solar panels and windmills would we need to replicate what a few nuclear plants can do? Just wondering.
They literally can't.
Nuclear power is used to produce base load power. Solar and wind power is always fluctuating and their fluctuation makes gas plants necessary for back up because gas plants can control their output relatively easily compared to other power sources while being reliable.
>>2277191
>You're ignoring economies of scale. People won't need to purchase electricity generated and sent to their houses from distant power plants when the solar panels on their roof are producing all of the electricity needs for their house and maybe even an electric vehicle or two, (assuming that they're not all some kind of automated system which makes the cost of travelling and commuting a fraction of what it is today.) Even today houses are being built whose overall impact on the grid will be net positive, this trend is only going to accelerate in the next 20 to 50 years as panels become dirt cheap and convenient for all kinds of applications.
>implying that solar provides reliable power
>implying solar generates power at peak loads
Solar power is a fucking meme.
Electrical vehicles are a bigger fucking meme because petroleum has several times the power density as a lithium ion battery while being more stable. Battery powered cars aren't coming any time soon because rate of recharging is limited on a battery even if you can have a powerful enough battery.
>>
>>2264440

Umm,

>quantum computing
>bio-organic computing / genetic engineering
>Wireless energy transmission
>artificial intelligence
>artificial realities

And this is just off the top of my head. Literally every generation has said that their successors can't amount to them.

Believe me anon, the 21st century will make the revolutions of the 20th look like the stone age.
>>
>>2273021
"Space Exploration" is a fucking pipedream. The earth is the only planet in the solar system that is habitable in any way, and every other star is far out of reach unless we somehow learn to break the laws of physics.
>>
>>2264286
I have to admit, it's a really awkward year to be born in

>too young to have grown up in the '90s
>old enough to experience much '90s culture (i.e. cartoons) that was still around in childhood
>among first cohort to spend their education/vast majority of childhood in the new millennium (yet somehow we're the 'youngest millennials')
>definitely grew up around technology/internet though still remember a time before it became all consuming
>old enough to remember 9/11 though not old enough to truly understand the differences before/after

I know, this is hardcore snowflakery, but isn't that what all this generational bullshit is?

FFS no one can even agree on a tangible definition of when our 'generation' starts and ends. Using even the earliest scale, very few in this generation are in the positions of power/influence to be accountable for fucking anything other than social trends among youth and aspects of pop/internet culture. This isn't even our final form - far from it.

It's ridiculous and I'm glad this thread turned into a discussion on nuclear power, cause every time I get called a millennial or some broad generalization is ascribed to my age group, I want to shit on someone.
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.