[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eastern Roman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 1457154651883.gif (122KB, 909x588px) Image search: [Google]
1457154651883.gif
122KB, 909x588px
what happened to the eastern roman people? how come they were replaced by greeks?
>>
>>2260341
"Roman" is more like an identify than name a race or ethnic.
>>
>>2260341
Eastern rome was a multi-ethic paradise
>>
Same people, just called themselves something different

You get some flashes of people identifying as "Hellenes" in the 13th century but it didn't become widespread until well after the Roman Empire had finally fallen
>>
>>2260341
They were Greeks from the start by virtue only of the fact that they were Greek speaking, and gradually coalesced in some areas into a self-perceived cultural group called Greek. Most of the people in that eastern zone were Isaurians, Cappdocians, Syrians, Jews, Egyptians etc. Rome was a multi-ethnic empire in which all regarded themselves as Roman.
>>
They became known as Byzantines and eventually dropped Latin as a language since not many people used it anyway.
They still called themselves Roman tho.
>>
File: opisafag.jpg (29KB, 425x301px) Image search: [Google]
opisafag.jpg
29KB, 425x301px
Well see anon, Greek people have always lived in Greece regardless of who was collecting the taxes at the time...

A FUCKING HURR DURR
>>
Friendly reminder that byzantines arent roman

Good thread OP
>>
>>2260480
It is interesting that the Romans of Rome didn't regard others as being roman.
>>
File: madman.jpg (102KB, 476x598px) Image search: [Google]
madman.jpg
102KB, 476x598px
>Eastern
>Roman
>Empire
>>
>>2260893
>Juvenal
>from Rome

conquered bitching about conquered
>>
>>2260341
Pretty sure the "We are Greek!" was some kind of cultural unity procedure.

It would've been hard to keep the morales high if you kept telling your people that they're Roman, while Rome isn't even in your control, and (after the orthodox schism) is outright have religious differences with you.

Even though Rome officially conquered all the Greek-colonized lands, they obviously didn't genocide them, so they just sticked around. I'm no expert but I assume there weren't that many actuals Romans who settled in Greece, so it's very likely that if you went ahead and traced the lineage of every Byzantine citizen in 1000AD, you'd find more Greeks than Romans.

A common cultural identity that isn't too far from reality, here we go.
>>
Didn't they call themselves Roman until the 19th century or something?
>>
>On 8 October 1912, during the First Balkan War, Lemnos became part of Greece. The Greek navy under Rear Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis took it over without any casualties from the occupying Turkish Ottoman garrison, who were returned to Anatolia. Peter Charanis, born on the island in 1908 and later a professor of Byzantine history at Rutgers University recounts when the island was occupied and Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares. Some of the children ran to see what Greek soldiers looked like. ‘‘What are you looking at?’’ one of them asked. ‘‘At Hellenes,’’ the children replied. ‘‘Are you not Hellenes yourselves?’’ a soldier retorted. ‘‘No, we are Romans." Thus was the most ancient national identity in all of history, preserved in isolation, finally absorbed and ended.
>>
>>2260893
>using Juvenal's SATIRES as evidence for normal perception of different groups within the empire
>>
>>2260980
Was about to post this, glad it's not just me who remembers this. Half suspected I was making something up in the back of my mind
>>
>>2260341
The Latin Italians didn't just go genociding all their conquered provinces and repopulated them with those native to Italy, conquered peoples were just given Roman citizenship. As long as the people paid taxes and worshiped the Roman gods, you were generally left alone.

so ethnic greeks and the greek language survived because the Romans weren't all that interested in eradicating languages and people. So when the Eastern Roman Empire was left on its own, the surviving Greek language slowly took over as the administrative language over Latin, which took about 300 years to officially make the switch over.

tl;dr: greeks and the greek language never died out, and once Latin became nothing more than a language of government and official papers, Greek started to take that over.
>>
>>2260926
Not so fast smug Frenchman, it was eastern, and it was an empire, the only thing up for debate here is that it was Roman.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.