[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't reconquista continue to Morroco and Algeria?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1484944422018.png (70KB, 190x228px) Image search: [Google]
1484944422018.png
70KB, 190x228px
Why didn't reconquista continue to Morroco and Algeria?
>>
>>2257096
They actually started doing that and made some notable acquisitions like Gibraltar, Ceuta, Mers El Kébir and Oran (and the Canaries if you count those.)
The Kingdom of Tlemcen most notably got its shit pushed around by the Iberian powers.

The real problem is that they ran into some serious resistance there and soon got distracted by the New World and other colonial pursuits, then the Ottomans moved in.
>>
>>2257096
Because it wouldn't be a reconquista anymore but a conquista.
>>
>>2257216
It was always a conquista. That wouldn't have even slowed them down.
>>
>why didn't they blob like in my video games
Because the Berber tribes had a strong advantage in their local terrain.

Assuming Spain did conquer them, presumably the colonial governor would assume the same niche as the Berbers and be able to gain independence or a great deal of autonomy rendering the venture pointless for the Spanish crown. The region had its own center of gravity so to speak.
>>
>>2257096
For Morocco it was the Saadi Dynasty which reduced the gains that the Portuguese did to a few Coastal Areas

For the rest of North Africa it was the Ottomans who reconquered the Areas that the Spanish conquered
>>
>>2257096
Weren't they distracted by the discovery of the new world?

Spain and France ended up conquering the whole area anyway
>>
>>2257096
Siege of Grenada ended in 1492. Once the New World was discovered and Islam was chased out of the Iberian Peninsula, Spain's focus shifted to the the Americas.
>>
>>2257255
>what is the battle of alcazar
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.