[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Royal/Imperial Names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 504px-Osmanli-nisani.svg.png (369KB, 504x600px) Image search: [Google]
504px-Osmanli-nisani.svg.png
369KB, 504x600px
Does it matter what name Imperial families use for their Imperial House or is Given name or Surname ok?

Bonaparte, Windsor and Osman use these names which are surnames but can you have a House with the Given/First name?

Any examples of this?
>>
>>2255705
House of Hashim currently ruling in Jordan or the clan of Banu Hashim that derive their name from Muhammads great-grandfather Hashim ibn Abd Manaf
>>
>>2255744
Thanks for this example.

If you were going to structure an Imperial family so that you made it the first name as the House, how would you organise it?

Example:

John Smith

If John made his House, 'House of John', would his children have the last name 'John' or would they take his first name? So would it go 'John II' of the 'House of John' or 'John III' of the 'House of John'?

Or would they forge a new name and make 'John' the surname? So 'Samuel John' of the 'House of John'?

Any books I can read on this?
>>
>>2255705
Osman started as a first name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osman_I
>>
>>2255705
The house of osman is named after the founder osman ghazi though.
So they took te founder's first name as their dynasty name.
>>
>>2255754
>>2255755
Oh sorry, my mistake.

Another question then, if future leaders of the Ottoman Empire had the surname Gazi and hadn't Osman in their name, what justifiability does the Imperial House have for the 'House of Osman'?

What are the rules/customs around Imperial Houses/Names?

Is it purely arbitrary?
>>
>>2255751
No idea about how patronyms would work since if you look at the Ottomans then they would just go after their fathers names as surnames, like Mehmed bin Murad, Ahmed bin Mehmed, etc.
I guess you could just call it the Empire of John if it got that big or the Johnsons.
>Any books I can read on this?
Again, no idea.
>>
>>2255759
Well the ottoman dynasty just like the other turkic beyliks had osmanoglu as their sort of last name which literally means son of osman, you can see it as johnson or something like that.
>>
>>2256102
Oh I forgot the other beyliks which were called karamanoglu or aydinoglu etc etc.
Even normal turkish last names now have this trend but then with the occupation of one of the bearer's ancestors for example tufekcioglu would mean riflemensson.
Ofcourse there are also different types of last names but these kinds are pretty popular.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.