[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tell me about the protestant reformation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

school teaching was basically people got fed up with the catholics imposing crippling taxes on all the poor people so they could decorate the churches and decrease the amount of time they needed to spend in purgatory, which they called a 'waiting room' and that people thought it was worse than hell

pls
>>
It was about wresting the truth of Christ from the clutches of the Babylonian dragon.
>>
File: american5Child.jpg (769KB, 1667x2000px) Image search: [Google]
american5Child.jpg
769KB, 1667x2000px
>>2254052
nice meme
>>
>>2254052
Fuck off, you Jack Chick wannabe
>>
also i don't know how but i managed to post this here instead of /christian/
>>
>we're going to charge people to not be in waiting
>because we know the will of God and this is indeed what God wills

PAPAL
INFALLIBILITY
>>
>>2254062
Your right that America is the Whore of Babylon from revelations, getting the world drunk off her wares BUT the phallus isn't necessarily a negative symbol.
>>
>>2254062
Did people jerk off to banknotes before the internet?
>>
>>2254062
I see nothing wrong with this
>>
>>2254042
The reformation ment people could read the bible for themselves, wherein they found out there was no mention of purgatory,at which point they realised the church was talking shit and was not infallible, and so they left it.
>>
Luther largely created Protestantism because he was afraid for his own salvation and that the Catholic Church wasn't doing/good enough to satisfy Luther's need to know if he was 100% saved or not. The majority, if not all, of the princes that adopted Protestantism did so not out of true belief but because Protestantism took power away from foreign entities like the Catholic Church within a lord's land and gave it to the lord in charge, which is why it was so popular in the HRE where there was a constant power struggle between the regional princes and the emperor. A lot of Luther's thesis against the Catholic Church were valid and taken seriously by the church, but by the time the Papacy had finally decided to act it was too late due to Luther coming under the Duke of Saxony's protection so trying to kill him would result in full-on war.
>>
>>2254042
Hint: Catholicism appeared about 1700, after a lot of pretestantic denominations.
>>
>>2254921
>Protestantism took power away from foreign entities like the Catholic Church within a lord's land and gave it to the lord in charge

Through what mechanism did Catholicism mean foreign power in HRE lands?
>>
>>2254042
Medicis owned the papacy and in order to fund their rediculously expensive habits they turned to selling indulgences and ecclesiastic titles.

Martin Luther thought this was horrid and wrote a thesis against the actions of the Medici popes.

Princes in the HRE also hated the pope and wanted to wrest political power for themselves and came to Luther in droves.

Basically at this time the pope was a king maker. He could literally depose you if he felt like it and the rulers at rhe time wanted to be able to control the tax revenue from churchs as well as their right to possess their lands and titles.

Thus the reformation was born and all hell broke loose.

Tl:dr blame the Medicis for ruining everything
>>
>>2254042
Short story: People want reform in the Church.
Local princes and rulers realize they can make more money if they don't have to donate money to the church and be more powerful if they don't have to listen to the pope
These rulers thus promote Protestanism as a way of ensuring their own power, duping the common people all the way
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.