[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American History and the Reset Button

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

So, I have a question for /his/.

As an American, I've always wondered one thing about the history of my country.

Which do you think was more traumatic and caused the most drastic change to the country as a whole, the American Civil War or 9/11?

Which one was the bigger "cultural reset button" for the United States?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>2251431
Also, one more thing. Please leave all /pol/ bullshit at the door.
>>
>1860-1865
>2001

Is this even a question?

Try to compare the number of slain Americans, razed citizens, and assassinated Presidents during both of these time periods and you tell me what you think is a more traumatic event.
>>
>>2251447
I'm talking in terms of long-term impact on American politics and culture. Not in terms of body count or property damage.

Honestly, from the perspective of "resetting the culture", it's close, but I'd still go American Civil War.
>>
Too early to tell, really. We're still dealing with the fallout from September 11th. Get back to me in a decade.
>>
>>2251431
Civil War without question, it's quite literally incomparable.
>>
>>2251431
I think 9/11 might prove to be more of a 'sharp' cultural and geopolitical turn for the US. The main legacy of the civil war was the establishment of slavery, which I would say was probably inevitable at some point, whereas 9/11 opened the door to bare faced American imperialism and huge expansion of the surveillance state. Of course, its too early to tell though
>>
>>2251490
*abolishment
>>
>>2251431
Seeing as how we have racial tensions to this day that has led to the spawning of /pol/, I'd say that the Civil War wins hands down.
>>
>>2251431
I think the throwback formula tastes better than the regular. Lots of people say there's no difference in the taste but I think the regular sugar tastes better
>>
>>2251432
>please answer my question
>only answer my question in a certain way or it's /pol/

Why is /his/ filled with people like this?
>>
>>2252173
>Don't racebait or fill the thread with memes
>This is not an okay thing to ask
>>
>>2251431
>the American Civil War

1 in 5 American men die or are wounded.

>9/11

not as many people die in America because of this
>>
>>2252173
They genuinely believe that liberal bias is the same as no bias.
>>
>>2251431
The Civil War wasnt so much a reset as it was a confirmation of one american way over another.
9/11 seems far more like a reset because it pretty much was.
>>
>>2252173
>comes in thread to cry about irrelevant shit
Thanks for proving his point.
>>
>>2251431
well in 2001 we had mountain dew but during the civil war it hadn't been invented yet, so I'd say more has changed since the civil war than 9/11 never forget
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.