[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Irish monasticism big in the Middle Ages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: irish monks.jpg (84KB, 450x342px) Image search: [Google]
irish monks.jpg
84KB, 450x342px
many historians have said it was Ireland, specifically the Irish Monks that saved Western Civilization from total collapse after the fall of Rome.

http://epicworldhistory.blogspot.com/2013/07/golden-age-of-irish-monastic-scholarship.html

here is a great article on it
>>
how the fuck did ireland get its hands on ancient greek and roman texts compared to the rest of western europe at the time?
>>
>Irish
>doing anything besides drinking and dying from potato famines
>>
>>2244454
>how the fuck did ireland get its hands on ancient greek and roman texts compared to the rest of western europe at the time?

African theologians of the desert fathers era who fled to the north.

>inb4 we wuz
>>
>>2244493
t. Nigel Beadyham
>>
>>2244518
are you saying the original irish were black?
>>
>>2244771
I don't know. African in the sense meaning from Africa, North Africa in particular, where Greek and Roman language would be more prevelant.

Although I personally believe the Celts were of a dark hue.
>>
I wonder if it had more to do with Ireland's relative isolation that kept copies of books from being destroyed by raiders.
>>
>>2244454
It didn't. The vast majority of Irish texts showing knowledge of classical literature were produced outside of Ireland, mostly in the Carolingian Empire. That's what this whole 'Irish saved civilization' meme is based on, the fact that there were some Irish scholars working in the Carolingian Empire. Nothing actually suggests Irish monks in Ireland were concerned with anything other than the usual theological bullshit and making pretty bibles.
>>
>>2244804
how did they become white then...if you say the celts were dark how did modern irish become pale white?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.