[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but why did bicycles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Bicycle.jpg (581KB, 1580x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Bicycle.jpg
581KB, 1580x1117px
Pardon me if this is a stupid question, but why did bicycles only start to appear in the 19th century? None of the parts seem to be particularly complicated, and the demand for something that would let you move quickly and easily and not have to put up with the expense of horses would have existed.

I assume that some necessary sub-part was impossible to manufacture, but I mean fuck, if you can build a carriage, your society can build a bicycle, right? And carriages have been around for thousands of years.
>>
>>2242457

Roads
>>
well, the nobles rode horses and carriages so what was the point?
mobility of the lower classes wasn´t desirable in medieval europe
>>
>>2242457
Rubber.
>>
>>2242483
>>2242492
game over
>>
>>2242483

But you did have roads, especially within cities.

>>2242488

The ability of moving messages, supplies, goods to market, etc wasn't important? The ability to expand a metropolitan's work base wasn't important?

>>2242492

And why is rubber necessary? Sure, a wooden wheel won't be as good as a modern tire, but again, carriages got around just fine.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (110KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
110KB, 1280x720px
>>2242492
>>
>>2242513
>But you did have roads, especially within cities.
Ever cycle on cobbles? After 5 minutes it gets extremely annoying, after a few hours you'll need medical attention.
>>
>>2242523
And if the wheels are made of wood instead of rubber, well, forget about it.
>>
>>2242523
>>2242533

But that's exactly what the Draisine was, and it was fairly widespread; a wooden wheeled primitive bicycle that primarily went on cobblestone.
>>
>>2242541
And they were not practical. Bikes started to become mass produced only when Macadam allowed roads to be smooth.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macadam
>>
>>2242561

I'm only really going off of wikipedia here, so take it with a grain of salt, but they were apparently "commercially viable" and several thousand were made and sold. That doesn't sound impractical.

Also, the use of "mass production" is tricky when you're talking about something manufactured in a country that still hadn't fully industrialized: You didn't even have trunk rail-lines by that point, and you're going to have a tough time arguing that those weren't practical.
>>
>>2242578
Some of the early bikes were give n names such as "Bonebreaker" et cetera, quality of roads = quality of transport
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.