[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Night's Watch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Has there been any real thing that reminds kinda of Night's Watch in history?

I can only think of French Foreign Legion.
>>
The United States Military.
>>
The Crusader military orders.
>>
File: knights-templar.jpg (288KB, 1400x933px) Image search: [Google]
knights-templar.jpg
288KB, 1400x933px
>>2242345
Probably this. After the initial plunder and glory of the crusades, a few guys were left behind to fend off the Muslim savages.
>>
>>2242327
Historically a lot of cultures put their fuckup kids in monasteries.
>>
>>2242327
literally every elite force
>>
Nights watch: pretext westerns from barbarians.

Black watch: protect protestent scots/english from northern catholics.

They are more like some of the crusader factions, though they were mostly knights/aristocracy.

In truth in many times and location armies where made up of societies dregs.
>>
>>2242463
Night watch isn't really that elite. They do make up one of the only peacetime profesional militaries though.
>>
Wasn't this based on Hadrian's wall?
>>
>>2242469
Fml *protect westeros
>>
>>2242327
Probably the Roman legionaries on Hadrian's wall or other frontiers.

Offa's dyke may be another one but I don't know if that was guarded or not.
>>
File: hadrians-wall-original-height.jpg (110KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hadrians-wall-original-height.jpg
110KB, 1024x768px
Hadrian's Wall was the largest Roman structure ever built. Construction was finished in 128, and was abandoned (along with the rest of Britain) by the Romans in 410.

Once its construction was finished, it is thought to have been covered in plaster and then whitewashed: its shining surface reflected the sunlight and was visible for miles around.
>>
>>2242489
Samefag here.

I read that actually most of the defenders on Hadrian's were static, and not legionaries that would eventually move on. So even more like the Night's Watch.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.