[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Celts and Historical Revisionism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 27

File: Celtic Guardian.jpg (80KB, 544x544px) Image search: [Google]
Celtic Guardian.jpg
80KB, 544x544px
Is there any ancient European culture more over-romanticized and over-sentimentalized than the insular Celts?

You see this a lot in many circles. Irish and Scottish Nationalists (which would make sense), Plastic Paddies in America (especially in regions with a high Celtic population such as Central Appalachia or parts of New England), and those neopagan New Age types.

But aside from inventing pants and being really good at metallurgy, is there anything worth romanticizing about the Ancient Celts? I'm mainly referring to the insular Celts of Britain and Ireland.

They were headhunters and primitive tribals.

>but muh Irish saved civilization

That was post-Romanization and Christianization. I'm talking The Wicker Man type of Celts, not The Quiet Man type of Celts. And do note that I am of primarily Celtic descent, mostly a mix of both Irish and Scots-Irish (Ulster Scots to you Britfags), so it's not a /pol/ thing. So, discuss this amongst yourselves.

Pic related
>>
>hey were headhunters
Yes

>and primitive tribals.
No
>>
File: Lord Summerisle.jpg (86KB, 595x423px) Image search: [Google]
Lord Summerisle.jpg
86KB, 595x423px
>>2241131
Don't forget the fact that they were the last European peoples to practice human sacrifice and they practiced it to a far greater extent than the Greeks, Romans, or Germanic peoples.

Pic related
>>
Who the fuck romanticises ancient Celts? Nobody does this apart from teenage neopagans.
>>
>>2241156
I'm pretty sure Baltic people were the last to practice human sacrifice, and Slavic and Germanic peoples were still doing it when all the Celts were Christian.
>>
>>2241163
You've never lived in an area with a heavy Irish or Scots-Irish diaspora, such as a good chunk of New England (Eastern and Southern Massachusetts especially) or Central Appalachia (Southwestern Virginia/Eastern Kentucky/most of West Virginia)

Fuckin' Southies, Hillbillies, and Plastic Paddies in general tend to over-romanticize the Celts, both the ancient feral pagan Celts and the post-Christianization era.

They also like to demonize the Greeks and Romans, despite Western culture having more surviving Greco-Roman influence than the low culture of a bunch of headhunting green-eyed savages.
>>
>>2241178
You may be right about the Slavic peoples, as very little is known about Slavic paganism.
>>
File: gallowglass.jpg (164KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
gallowglass.jpg
164KB, 533x800px
>>2241182
>You've never lived in an area with a heavy Irish or Scots-Irish diaspora
I live in Ireland itself, but I've never seen anyone romanticise pre-Christian Celts in my life.
>>
>>2241163
That is true nowadays, but back in the day (90's and early-to-mid 2000's), you saw Celtic Romanticism everywhere. Not just among the teenage neopagans and the Plastic Paddies.
>>
>>2241201
That's because Ireland has a strong Catholic influence and they tend to focus more on their post-Romanization/post-Christianization period of history (which was pretty cool, to be honest)

Also, the average Irish person is generally better educated and informed than the average American.

Modern Celtic Romanticism (especially of the Ancient Celts) is largely an American phenomenon.
>>
File: sasuke.jpg (15KB, 256x400px) Image search: [Google]
sasuke.jpg
15KB, 256x400px
>>2241201
Yeah, the stuff the OP is talking about is an American phenomenon, especially in the Neopagan and New Age communities.

Of course, it's kind of dated, nowadays the Norse are the pagan culture to romanticize and fetishize. It's been like that since at least 2012.

Honestly, complaining about neo-Celtic Romanticism in 2017 is rather pointless.

(I suspect that Skyrim and History Channel's Vikings show may have something to do with the surge in Norseaboos)
>>
>>2241213
>>2241226
I see, thanks for clearing that up

have a woman holding an irish shield for your trouble
>>
>>2241233
Nice
>>
>>2241075
Plastic Paddies ruin everything
>>
File: Broch of Mousa (100 BC).jpg (234KB, 800x591px) Image search: [Google]
Broch of Mousa (100 BC).jpg
234KB, 800x591px
Irishfag here. Modern Irish archaeologists don't even like to use the term Celt anymore, since it has so many nationalistic and generally inaccurate connotations and tend to ignore 'Celtic' continuity from the earlier Bronze Age. Personally I think they've gone overboard in abandoning the term entirely.

But there are a lot of reasons to find 'Celtic' Britain and Ireland interesting (not to mention earlier Bronze Age and Neolithic cultures). For example, they had brilliant art (especially in Britain), they built some massive structures like Irish ringforts, English hillforts and Scottish Brochs, and they even built wooden roads which are sometimes still preserved today.

All in all it's not exactly civilization, but it's much more than you'd expect for a bunch of primitive tribal cultures.

That said, later periods are much more interesting as far I'm concerned.
>>
File: feline11.jpg (94KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
feline11.jpg
94KB, 750x750px
>primitive tribals

No they weren't. Their metal-working was of the highest quality, and even the Romans held them to be expert craftsmen. It takes a good deal of sophistication to develop good metallurgy: it points to the existence of developed trade networks and urban centers.

>m-muh child sacrifice

You really believe the Roman propaganda? You might as well believe Nero burned down Rome and played a violin-analogue while he was at it.
>>
>>2241445

It was very close to becoming a civilisation imo, not as close as the continental "Celts" were but certainly much closer than the Germanics were at the time. On the continent, there were the Oppidia, which would surely have grown into cities, and even in Britain there were the likes of the Atrebates whose great tribal capital at Calleva was civilising even before the Romans arrived, but who enthusiastically embraced urban living afterwards.
>>
It's OK OP. We can help you. Just show us on the dolly where the bad Celt touched you.
>>
>>2241617
Yiff in Hell, furfag
>>
>>2241617
This worthless yiffbag probably isn't even Irish or Scottish, or even Welsh.

He's probably some American Plastic Paddy
>>
File: 1430921317538.png (1017KB, 1294x2013px) Image search: [Google]
1430921317538.png
1017KB, 1294x2013px
>>2241737
Oh, I'm sorry, did that pic trigger you?
>>
>>2241617
>It takes a good deal of sophistication to develop good metallurgy: it points to the existence of developed trade networks and urban centers.
No it absolutely doesn't. Even the simplest African tribes had advanced metallurgy, some of them even created steel, without any influence from more advanced cultures, without significant trade and certainly without urban centers. Civilizations leave a shit load of evidence, even the ones that built entirely in wood. There's no evidence that the insular Celts had anything close to cities or states.

Also are you Iranian by any chance?
>>
>>2241835
This

Plastic Paddies need to get over themselves and just admit the Romans were better.
>>
>>2241163

yes they do. Ancient Celts are like, the magical native Americans of Europe.
>>
>>2241835
>Also are you Iranian by any chance?
Why do you ask him this? Curious as to why.
>>
>primitive tribals

by what measure? Ireland had a high kingship. And an army organised/equipped enough to repel the Vikings in the 10th century.

I know Anglo propaganda loves to paint all Irish/celts as somehow inferior to Germanics but didn't the Romans consider Germans barbarians too?
>>
>>2243235
There used to be an Iranian leopard furry who posted on /int/ years ago and was a kind of mini meme for a while.
>>
>>2243599
>didn't the Romans consider Germans barbarians too?
They did. And funnily enough, unlike the Celts, they were actually seen as primitive .
>>
File: 1480813582714.jpg (49KB, 484x300px) Image search: [Google]
1480813582714.jpg
49KB, 484x300px
>>2241182
Typical vitriolic projection onto people of celtic descent. It is perfectly fine for irish descendad Americans to indulge in their ancestral culture, and no it does not mean they MUST have contempt for other tribes. I am American both my parents have irish surnames and i play irish trad music, go to sessions, etc. I know I am culturally American, and i don't wish to over romantacize Irish history. I greatly admire England and any tribe so long as they respect my right to appreciate the culture of my forbears.
>>
>>2244058
Any Irish person would laugh at you.

t. an actual Irish person.
>>
>>2244058

Nice. What instrument do you play? I learnt the accordion growing up.

>>2244100

Ireland values its diaspora. It's not like the famine emigrants chose to leave and it's nice they kept the culture alive. Plenty of other ethnicities do the same.
>>
>>2244100
Met actual irish people and got on well with them. People are individuals and not every irish American or irish person will behave the same.
>>
>>2244113
Low and high whistle, and the side blown irish flute.
>>
>>2244113
>>2244124
Irish people by and large hate plastic paddies with a passion and you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise, we might feign a smile or two when you tell us your great great grand-uncle was from Donegal but inside we're laughing and just waiting for you to buy another drink.
>>
>>2244143
Ok, i don't travel into Ireland and talk about my irish ancestry. Both my grandparents on my mother's side came from inchagoill in oughterard. They were kineavys and were among the last families to live on the island. I never brought up my heritage to irish people unless they ask, and yeah i have red hair and green eyes. You probably regard blacks living in Ireland as irish. opinion discarded.
>>
>>2244175
Yes I regard people who live in Ireland for extended periods of time as Irish. Shocker.

Why am I not surprised that the "celtic" fetishist plastic paddy in the thread is also a racist?
>>
>>2244197
Lol you're a fool if you think someone who has ancestral ties to Ireland going back for thousands of years is less irish than some 100% pure sub saharan african who was born in ireland. I fundamentally disagree with that idea, and i don't care what flavor of buzzword you wish to ascribe to it.
>>
>>2244143

I'm Irish though, not American.
>>
>>2244232
I don't give a fuck about ancestry m8. You're some ignorant American who doesn't know shit about what it's actually like to live in Ireland. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to spot you lot versus Americans who actually live here and understand what our culture is really like. It's nothing like your fantasy m8.
>>
>>2244244
It was directed at the American
>>
>>2244248
Cool, but your idea of a black being more irish than an ethnically pure irish American with a last name like O'Donnell is irrational. If that is the case you are a fool. A korean person may live in japan for several generations, speak Japanese, and accept all cultural norms of Japanese society. They will still be regarded as outsiders. There are irish people born and raised in Ireland who disagree with your point of view, and your attempt to vilify those with an opposing world view is sad.
>>
>>2244248
>I don't give a fuck about ancestry

Why? It's important. If someone is Gaelic they're Gaelic. If they have an Irish surname they're part Irish- regardless if they're born in America. (I'm not the American btw).
>>
>>2244272
I'm not vilifying you but seriously if you define yourself by who your grandparents were you're probably a pretty fucking dull person
>>
>>2244248
>ignorant

Nice projection. You don't have an argument so you resort to ad hominem responses. In short, you argue like a woman.
>>
>>2244272
Also if someone lives in Ireland to me they're 1000x more Irish than someone who's never even set foot here. You don't seem to have even the slightest inkling about what our country is like. No one gives a fuck about your "tribe" dude.
>>
>>2244273
Why is it important?
>>
>>2244282
He is fucking ignorant, he was talking about his "celtic" identity and his fucking "tribe" and shit. This is not Irish culture.
>>
>>2244287
>If a man lives in a stable that makes him a horse
rly make u think
>>
File: 1484139796410.png (214KB, 954x864px) Image search: [Google]
1484139796410.png
214KB, 954x864px
>>2244287
So according to you Fionnbharr Ó Diomasaigh from Boston who speaks Irish with his family, whose parents came from the Donegal Gaeltacht, and who teaches Irish Studies modules at his local community college is less Irish than Ahmed Mohammed, a recent immigrate who lives in a povertous north Dublin slum

Hmmmm really makes you think

And for the record I think that dude going on about "tribes" and shit sounded like a gigantic retard but I think there's more to being Irish than just living here
>>
>>2244290

Because they're still kin of the same ethnic group/tribe i.e Gaels. I have more in common genetically with a person with an Irish surname in Australia or America than say, I would with an African or Indian born in the same city.

Learn civic vs ethnic nationalism
>>
>>2244294

>tribes aren't Irish culture

KEK wew you sure about that? Literally all Irish names derive from heads of tribes it's completely Irish culture.
>>
>>2244287
Yeah i only play your traditional music, study your language, and share my genetics with you. Definitely not as irish as a Chinese person who lives in Ireland. Might as well abolish borders. You are actually cancer to Ireland and i can say that without ever having stepped foot in your country. Have fun destroying everything your ancestors fought for.
>>
>>2244331
>>2244337
>>2244326
Literally just your opinion m8s, I have mine.

I'd take Achmed over the Fionnbharr cunt any day.
>>
>>2244351
>>2244346
Except literally no one here even thinks about this shit, it's just you fucking NEETs sitting on /pol/ and the odd crazy person in Identity Ireland or whatever.
>>
>>2244331
What is retarded about caring about your ancestral culture. That doesn't mean i deludedly think i am more irish than American. Simply i am ethnically irish and culturally American. Not retarded, but common sense.
>>
>>2244354
Yeah and Achmed will take your sister. Enjoy becoming Rotherham 2.0
>>
>>2244361
>Crazy person
>identity Ireland
>populism is good
>/pol/

Not an argument.
>>
>>2244375
I know y'all are pretty fond of fucking your sisters across the pond but don't you think it's a bit odd that you guys always jump straight to this kind of thinking. Really makes you think.
>>
>>2244361

Lol what are you even mad about? I'm just stating facts. Would you get mad at an American Jew who identifies with other Jews outside of America, say in Europe? Same thing. Ethnicity is ethnicity.

>Identity Ireland is bad

Why?

>>2244354

I'd consider you a traitor then
>>
>>2244398
Because I think taking extreme pride in your ethnicity is something only fucking dummies do. Everyone I've ever come across who does this is a fucking boring person who uses it to cover-up how completely uninteresting they are.
>>
>>2244354
>>2244361
This. I went to a school with Filipinos, Poles and Russians who acted and spoke like everyone else, learned Irish, had mostly Irish friends, etc. They were all more 'Irish' than some American twat whose impression of Ireland is just trad music and dimly lit pubs, and I don't really care what his last name is.
>>
>>2244412
>Play bach on piano
>be german
>boring

No you're just an idiot.
>>
>>2244435
Yes, the fact that you are German is in itself pretty uninteresting. Sorry to burst your bubble m8.
>>
>>2244412

You sound like you've been brainwashed at a Soviet gulag. Absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in your ethnicity it's what you owe your country too. All the wars fought on Ireland's behalf throughout it's history. Hundreds and hundreds of years.

>>2244432

Commie-tier
>>
>>2244450
You must be a hit at parties my dude
>>
I heard the majority of Pagan European tribes bred with their cousins before Catholicism happened.
>>
>>2241075

The Greeks. Especially the fucking Spartans.
>>
>>2244469

>t. 18 yr old
>>
>>2244501
>People who have different opinions to me are communists! And probably teenagers too! Hell yeah libtards BTFO!

Really makes you think.
>>
>>2244525

I said that because you made the party comment not your opinions. You assumed alot here >>2244361
>>
>>2244546
I have literally never seen "Celtic" identity invoked outside of 4chan except by Plastic Paddies and Identity Ireland types.
>>
>>2244564

What does "Identity Ireland" type even mean? You mean other Irish people? Is it the same as "UKIP" type or "Trump" type? Are you an "Antifa" type?
>>
k
>>
>>2244574
I mean people who look and act like the kind of autists I generally imagine make up Identity Ireland.
>>
>>2244599

Still don't understand what that "type" is? Normal people who are proud of their country and want to preserve it? How subversive.
>>
>>2244649
Socially inept creeps who use their supposed pride as a smokescreen for their insecurity. Have yet to meet anyone who's bucked this trend.
>>
>>2244662
Underrated Seamus. Good man. One nation one people one tribe.
>>
>>2244662
So a caricature that you dislike? Nice you are truly a champion of rarional thinking, twat.
>>
>>2244331
Why is there an ocean between England and Scotland?
>>
>>2244449
To you maybe.
>>
>>2244662
Projection. You're a fool as i stated earlier. If you think being interesting at parties is a barometer for human success i pity you. Another cancerous nation destroying "European"
>>
File: ha.jpg (257KB, 800x1199px) Image search: [Google]
ha.jpg
257KB, 800x1199px
>>2245580
>>
>>2245543
Just a trend friend not a rule ;-)
>>
File: 1480649319012.jpg (164KB, 500x680px) Image search: [Google]
1480649319012.jpg
164KB, 500x680px
>that potato anon rekking plastic amerifats ITT

Hard kek and enjoyment.
>>
>you're not really Irish!!

It's funny that you fags think your shitty little island is important enough to /int/ style shitpost about
>>
>>2245816
He was pointing out how empty your claims on Irish identity are. Now you act buttblasted and call them insignificant when they don't fees your delusions. And yes Ireland is largely insignificant but I don't think they give a flying fuck. Fuck off plastic faggot.
>>
>>2241213
>>2241226
This is a load of shit considering the OP gave Irish and Scottish as an example of people who do this.
>>
>>2245821
>implying I'm a part of your subhuman ethnic group
>implying a diaspora has no link to its mother country

Can you just kill yourself please?

>b-but Americans make me insecure

My only regret is that any of your ilk survived the blessed famine
>>
>>2245830
As I said earlier I've literally never seen any Irish person outside of 4chan and our laughable anti-immigrant party do this.
>>
>>2245832
I'm not Irish you cretin.
>>
/fa/ as heck
>>
>>2245858
oh you're just a fag who denies the existence of diaspora then.
>>
>>2245873
The American diaspora is about as removed from the reality of being Irish as you can get while somehow still claiming to be Irish.
>>
>>2245873
I'm 1/4 German. Even have a German name. I don't speak it and even if I did I would not claim to be because of muh Teutonic heritage because I'm not a lame fag who plays identity politics and I'm not a LARP autist.
>>
Why don't we just genocide all LARPers and muh identity fags?
>>
File: IMG_0005.jpg (43KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0005.jpg
43KB, 480x720px
>>2245900
Omg a self aware American, I thought they hade gone extinct!
>>
>>2246037
Eastyouro volksdeutsche actually
>>
>>2245875
Doesn't mean they are not ethnically irish genetically.
>>
>>2245772
Not an argument.
>>
>>2246078
>>2246088
Why does identifying with your own country and not appropriating someone else's national identity hurt you so? America has a wealth of culture and history. Can't you see why it galls us when you bastardise all our cultural relics because you're insecure about your real nationality?
>>
>>2245837
Yes, that's what I mean. The OP is talking shit when he says people (including Irish and Scottish) romanticize ancient Celts as he described. They don't.
>>
>>2246137
I never claimed my nationality was anything other then American. If you actually read my post you would understand that my argument is that one can be an American by nationality and irish in ethnicity. If an ethnically pure British man is born in China, has lived there for 6 generations, and yet only marries within his ethnic group he is STILL ethnically British. This is common sense. You are conflating ethnicity with nationality, and you seem to think irish identity has absolutely nothing to do with ancestry whatsoever. This idea that a Chinese man born in London is somehow more english than an ethnically pure englishman born abroad is questionable at the very least.

Do you honestly think irish culture would be the same if everyone in Dublin were replaced with irish born arabs and africans?

People=nation and yes this is tied to one's ancestry. Don't worry, I will not travel to your country. You would rather see your nation lose its ancestral heritage then to see the diaspora return. So you get your wish.
>>
>>2246407
>
Do you honestly think irish culture would be the same if everyone in Dublin were replaced with irish born arabs and africans?

Yes.
>>
>>2246459
I disagree. I live in a very diverse area and that strikes me as incredibly naive. I don't foresee that at all.

>bring in people with radically different cultures and genetics
>their birthrate outpaces the natives
>think your culture will somehow be exactly the same when the natives become a minority

That makes no sense. It doesn't even sound like it would work in theory.
>>
>>2244361
Except they totally did until very recently. Way to be so anglicized you actually think your own recent history is fake and weird.
>>
>>2245861
the fuck, whats with the manlet on the right
>>
>>2246407
genetics doesn't endow you with "ethnicity" you fucking retard. genetics does not pass on cultural traits. this is /pol/ tier reasoning.

>>2246528
>bring in people with radically different cultures and genetics
there you go again. as though genetics determines culture. poltier
>>
>>2246543
I don't think it's fake and weird, I think our romantic poets are quite dead and gone and that the vast majority of Irish people never even consider this stuff. Some Americans (Plastic Paddies) seem to have this bizarro idea of us all wandering around quoting Yeats and breaking into song and being in touch with nature and whatever. It's completely removed from the reality of what it is to be Irish in the current year.
>>
>>2241835
>Africans didn't have significant trade and urban centers
>Doesn't know what Kilwa is

Don't post about stuff you know nothing about. It reflects badly on you that your only historical sources appear to be British propaganda.
>>
>>2246528
>thinking your culture will somehow stay the same anyways

lmao
>>
File: 1482997656898.jpg (82KB, 780x478px) Image search: [Google]
1482997656898.jpg
82KB, 780x478px
>>2246610
>ancestry in no way whatsoever could possibly have any influence on human culture or group psychology
>if i call anyone who objects to this /pol/tier i win

Irish Americans are genetically irish and american by nationality. This is pretty simple, and no amount of your whinging will change human genetics. If someone has lineage going back thousands of years in Ireland and they are born in America why do you care if they identify as racially irish? They are racially irish, some of them are mixed some are pure.
>>
>>2246668
>anyways

It's anyway, and no I don't which is why i questioned the anon who actually responded by saying he thought it would remain the same. If you are that anon, you are the one who accepted that premise.
>>
>>2246681
It bothers me because Plastic Paddies are completely insufferable and cringe-inducing when they come here with frankly racist expectations of what we're like as a people.
>>
>>2246681
>genetically irish
and, again, this is absolutely worthless. you can masturbate over your genetic heritage but it means jackshit at the end of the day.
>>
>>2246712
This x1000 this
>>
>>2246712
>ancestry in no way whatsoever could possibly have any influence on human culture or group psychology
>possibly
just because its "possible" doesn't mean its true. you'd fit in well on /pol/. there you can brag about how you're irish genetics give you the ability to outdrink everyone, appreciate nature and break into spontaneous dance. What an inheritance from such a hallowed lineage!
>>
>>2246657
>Kilwa represents every single part of Africa
Stop pretending you know something about this just because you read the Wikipedia article on the Swahilis, you twat.

Advanced metallurgy was known in various societies in Africa, many if not most of whom did not posses urban centers and weren't significant participants in international trade. The Haya people were creating steel blooms centuries before Kilwa was even settled.

God I can't stand you people who act like any acknowledgement that Africa wasn't covered in advanced civilizations is part of some kind of anti-black conspiracy.
>>
>>2246737
>>2246681
>>
>>2246698
OK, but i don't travel there and have no intention to do so. Even if I did, I would never go around feigning irish identity. I consider myself American as I have stated countless times, but i do consider myself racially irish. I like to play flute at sessions, and i was raised Catholic. Elements of irish culture do persist in irish descendad people's. Irish and Scottish music influenced American bluegrass as well. Often the bluegrass music sounds like a reel. These things have influenced American identity too, and i don't understand your need to shame people for that. I'm sorry you get the worst of us as tourists. Admittedly there are a lot of retarded 'irish' Americans who don't even have irish surnames, but there are racially pure irish people in America. Shouting 'racist' at people is starting to become a less effective way of silencing ideas you disagree with. I'm sorry but nature is racist, sexist, and homophobic. Biological egalitarianism is a human idea not a law of nature. A man is not the biological equivalent of a fish, and in a similar way a man is not the biological equivalent of another man.
>>
>>2246712
>>2246737
>absolutely worthless
>if something doesn't have a clear utilitarian value that i can observe easily it's meaningless

Nihilist detected.
>>
>>2246681
>genetically irish
What the fuck does 'genetically Irish' even mean? Do you think the Irish just sprung up out of the ground in Ireland, speaking Gaelic and playing trad music? Do you not realise we migrated over from Britain in separate waves during the Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze Age? Do you not realise that we have ancestors originating the Middle East and Ukraine? Do you not realise that Irish culture as it exists today was constantly shaped by forces from outside of Ireland, such as the Neolithic, the Bronze Age, the 'Celts', Catholicism, the Normans, British colonialism, and the Industrial Revolution? Irish culture isn't 'in the genes', it's something shaped over thousands of years by the historical experience of the people living here, something which has absolutely nothing to do with our Anatolian genetic heritage. The way you're arguing, it makes as much sense for you to LARP as an ancient Middle Eastern farmer as it does for you to LARP as an Irishman.
>>
>>2246779
Lol why do you people keep conflating culture with genetics and then project that argument onto me as if I made such an argument? Yeah I am aware that people migrated in the past. It doesn't nullify my point. Cool people migrated irish and british genetics markers still exist.
>>
>>2246738

If you looked into Kilwa you would realise that their success came from their ability to tap into both the Arab trade networks and the Swahili trade networks which had been previously established. Their were already several important cities in that trade network, such as Sofala. While they might not have large settlements, they did have permanent villages and towns. The Bantus (of which the Haya are a part of) were farmers. Your insistence that even the simplest African tribes had steel is also incorrect. The Khoisan people of South Africa had very little metallurgy, and were some of the few true hunter gatherers by the time Europeans explored Africa.

At that time, many advanced civilizations such as Kilwa, Ajuuraan, Mali, Songhai, Kanem-Borno, and Kongo had arisen and reached a considerable level of technology.

I never once claimed their was an anti-black conspiracy, not sure where you are getting that from.
>>
>>2246756
"Racial purity" is a complete meme how embarrassing
>>
>>2246779
For clarity I'd like to say i don't think irish culture is 'in the genes' but to insinuate that culture could in no way be influenced by genetics seems like a stretch.
>>
>>2246779

>we migrated over from Britain

lol fuck off kike. You'll be hung from a lamppost on the day of the rope.

>>2246712
>>2246720

Kikes. You can try to distort a peoples history all you want but you won't. Genetics are 100% important. You're either hopelessly brainwashed or a shill.
>>
>>2246610
>genetics doesn't endow you with "ethnicity" you fucking retard

Yes, it does. You're denying a fundamental truth of humanity. Your genetics is your DNA. Saying it's "pol-tier" doesn't dispell the truth.
>>
File: tonnura_san_002.png (104KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tonnura_san_002.png
104KB, 500x500px
>>2246838
>For clarity I'd like to say i don't think irish culture is 'in the genes' but to insinuate that culture could in no way be influenced by genetics seems like a stretch.
It's the wrong level of analysis.

You might as well say that culture is influenced by the Big Bang. Insinuating that culture could in no way be influenced by the Big Bang is a stretch, too.
>>
File: yotsusad.jpg (158KB, 445x601px) Image search: [Google]
yotsusad.jpg
158KB, 445x601px
>Please list your Ethnicity/Ancestry: American
>haha what even is that? Dumb Amerifats have no culture

>Please list your Ethnicity/Ancestry: Irish
>lmao fucking plastic paddies I bet you're 1/64 Irish, right? Fuck off
>>
>>2246837

Kike
>>
>>2246813
Are you really so fucking blind?

You argue that you're 'genetically Irish', and that Irishness rests on genetics. This completely ignores the fact that the genetic makeup of Ireland has nothing to do with the existence of an Irish nation. The 'Irish' are a nation, a society, created by the historic experience of Ireland over the last few centuries. If you are not a part of that nation and society, and you absolutely are not, then you are not Irish. Your genetics don't mean shit; you're as much an Irishman as you are an Anatolian farmer, an Indo-European nomad or a Neolithic Briton. Being Irish means living in Ireland, being acculturated into Irish society. It has nothing to do with your genetics, nor is it about being Catholic or having a Gaelic last name. Not everyone who lives in Ireland in automatically Irish, but anyone who's actually acculturated and integrated into Irish society is, regardless of their ancestry.

Charles Stewart Parnell was a Protestant of English, even Tudor, descent and he was fucking Irish. You are not.
>>
File: gael.jpg (107KB, 1713x820px) Image search: [Google]
gael.jpg
107KB, 1713x820px
>>2246873
>This completely ignores the fact that the genetic makeup of Ireland has nothing to do with the existence of an Irish nation

Yes, it does. Ireland is a Gaelic nation made up primarily of the ethnicity of Gaels. This is a fact.

>but anyone who's actually acculturated and integrated into Irish society is, regardless of their ancestry

No they're fucking not. Civic nationalism is cancer. An American with a 'O is more Irish than an African born in Dublin. This is just genetic facts.
>>
>>2246865
>you might as well say the big bang influenced culture

It's not the same thing at all. If you think population genetics don't influence human society and culture you must have some serious cognitive dissonance going on. All one has to do is observe the various world cultures and use common sense. It is clear that human genetics are in no way meaningless. Something as monumental as your genetics determines your brain chemistry, anatomy, likelihood lf disease, etc.

>It's meaningless

No it's fundamental. This is the great lie of our age in the west, and one day it will become apparent that it is simply dogma.
>>
>>2246829
Stop arguing with me. You misread my post as an attack on Africans influenced by "British propaganda" and threw a hissyfit.

The point I'm making is that the existence of advanced metallurgy does not mean the existence of cities or long distance trade. The Haya people, like many other African tribes, had advanced metallurgy without cities or a significant role in trade.

I don't know why the hell you feel the need to go on a meaningless tangent about the Swahili and a bunch of other African kangdoms that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

>Your insistence that even the simplest African tribes had steel is also incorrect. The Khoisan people of South Africa had very little metallurgy
Are you so autistic that you take everyone completely literally? I'm talking about the fact that unsophisticated tribes had advanced metallurgy, I'm obviously not talking about hunter-gatherer bands (who technically aren't 'tribes' anyway).
>>
>>2246902
It's the absolutely same thing.

If you think the Big Bang didn't influence human society and culture, you must have some serious cognitive dissonance going on.
All one has to do is observe the various worlds without humans and use common sense. It is clear that the Big Bang was in no way meaningless. Something as monumental as a Big Bang determines your brain chemistry, anatomy, likelihood lf disease, etc.
>>
>>2246873
this desu
>>
>>2246914
No it's not the same thing, they are two different subjects. Stop dodging the issue. Not an argument
>>
>>2246893
>Ireland is a Gaelic nation made up primarily of the ethnicity of Gaels
'Gaels' who speak English, live in towns founded by the Vikings and Normans, and have an Industrialized society created by the British.
>>
>>2246902
>and one day it will become apparent
People already thought that in the 19th and early 20th century, but got rid of the idea.
>>
>>2246933
Then why does the idea persist? Why do evolutionary biologists like richard dawkins still discuss the idea?
>>
The /pol/tards in this thread neglect a key aspect: culture isn't static. Irish today, if it represents anything, is not the same 'Irish' that your ancestors took with them to the New World.

There are observable cases to inspect. The Osbournes, for example. Ozzy and Shazza are as English as people come. Their kids, however, are proper Americans - despite their protestations.
>>
>>2246911

Yeah I misread your original post. My bad.

Sorry.
>>
>>2246849
Ethnicity is not tje same thing as race or genetics
>>
>>2246929
It's an analogy on the subject of level of analysis, which is the main problem your idea has, for the purpose of making a reductio ad absurdum, anon...
>>
>>2246932

Children have to learn Gaelic at school. English is a global language spoken by America it's practical to speak it. The Vikings were kicked out of Dublin in the 10th century by the Gaelic High King Brian Boru. Normans never fully conquered Ireland.

>an Industrialized society created by the British

LOL best one yet how can you be this misinformed? The British destroyed Ireland with their policies during the famine. They brought no prosperity or infrastructure, killed half the population. Anything good Ireland has today is in spite of them, not because of them.
>>
>>2246939
Why do flat earthers exist? Because the idea that the Earth is flat falls in line with our daily perception (if there's no horizon), is simple, and easy to understand and propagate, even despite it being wrong.
>>
>>2246940
I don't think culture is static, but i simply think that one can be ancestrally irish and culturally American. American wholly in nationality no less while still appreciating irish culture and art whether contemporary or antiquated. This caused several anons to sperg out. I think casting anyone who believes in human biological diversity as /pol/ is an easy way of dismissing someone without actually examining the contents of their argument.
>>
>>2246945

No, not the same as 'race', but genetics yes.
>>
>>2246843
[citation needed]
Do you take mein kampf as scientific proof lmao. I love how pollacks become as vicious as caged rats when theyre little pet theories get challenged.
>>
>>2246958
Retard no one here calls it Gaelic, you mark yourself out as the plastic paddy you are just by your speech. The "Gaelic" identity is a complete meme, our ethnic backgrounds are a complete mess of different peoples and backgrounds.
>>
>>2246958
Not to mention the fact that Gaeilge is spoken by a tiny minority, most people leave secondary school with an incredibly basic standard of Irish if any at all.
>>
>>2246959
Neanderthal ancestry persists in contemporary Europeans. Neanderthal ancestry also appears to drive lipid catabolism in contemporary Europeans. Neanderthal had a physically different brain the contemporary peoples. You really expext me to believe human biological diversity does not exist despite mountains of evidence to the contrary? Source https://youtu.be/TVsjGsZpD7g

Richard Dawkins is hardly a flat earther dude. Stop cherry picking data in order to push your agenda. Perhaps i am wrong can you actually articulate a coherent argument against this? If you do and it is convincing i will abandon the idea that population genetics affect human psychology and civilization.
>>
>>2246974
>The "Gaelic" identity is a complete meme

>own people, language, history, music, sports
>meme

You're either trolling or just being willfully ignorant.

>our ethnic backgrounds are a complete mess of different peoples and backgrounds.

Again, a lie. Of course there is other influences but it's primarily Gaelic.
>>
>>2241201
I live in Brittany, people are over-romanticizing pre-Christian Celtic culture here.
>>
>>2246968
Looks up the definition of ethnicity you dunce and youll see the two interlap imperfectly at best
>>
>>2246958
It's so fucking obvious you know absolutely nothing about this country.

>Children have to learn Gaelic at school
And most of them never speak it again after leaving school.

>English is a global language spoken by America it's practical to speak it
English replaced Irish mostly in the 19th century due to the spread of English administration and education throughout the country. It had nothing to do with America.

>The Vikings were kicked out of Dublin in the 10th century by the Gaelic High King Brian Boru
Oh Jesus Christ. First of all the Battle of Clontarf happened in the 11th century, secondly the Norse were never expelled by the Irish, in fact they remain ruling in Dublin and other ports until the Normans took over in the 1170s.

>Normans never fully conquered Ireland.
So what? They controlled most of the country and transformed the lives of its inhabitants, introducing towns, administration, and feudalism along contemporary European lines.

>They brought no prosperity or infrastructure, killed half the population
Do you think the entirety of British rule in Ireland was just the famine? The British were oppressive and at times even genocidal, but no matter how bad they were they undeniably transformed this country and made it what it is today. they introduced our current form of government and democratic institutions, even if it was a long fight to actually get those institutions to work for the Irish. And as I said they created Industrialized society and though they failed to fully introduce it here, the fact remains that Ireland did eventually Industrialize, adopting something that the British had created.
>>
>>2247003

Your genetics determine your ethnicity what's difficult to understand? e.g, if both your parents have Gaelic surnames you're ethnically Irish.
>>
>>2246967
The point is that what does it reinforce? You might be well in to Chinese food and Kung Fu. Do you think it would be any more fulfilling if all your ancestors had migrated from Hong Kong 150 years ago? Don't be so quick to put yourself in a box, grasshopper.
>>
>>2247023
>ethnicity
>the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition
Where does it say genetics there? You dont need the same genetics to share a cultural or national tradition. In your case it so happens they overlap, but that is not always the case.
>>
>>2246998
>You really expext me to believe human biological diversity does not exist
Human biological diversity is a necessary, but not sufficient requirement for your argument.

>Richard Dawkins is hardly a flat earther dude.
I never claimed that he was. Flat Earth Theory was just supposed to be an example for obsolete theories still believed by many people to show that obsolete ideas persist even in environments where there's massive amounts to the contrary.

You really shouldn't cite Dawkins as an authority on an the topics of both cultural anthropology and genetics either way. He's a smart man and an expert on biology, but his authority doesn't reach beyond his field (his specific sub-field, in fact), just like you shouldn't cite Kelvin on geology or Hawking on moral philosophy.

>Stop cherry picking data in order to push your agenda.
What are you even talking about? Seems like you just took a bunch of random standard phrases from your rhetorical tool cabinet.
>>
>>2247016
>It had nothing to do with America.

Yes, but the choice to keep it as the current primary language is influenced by that. That's what I said.

>They controlled most of the country

>most
>not Munster Connacght or Ulster

How is that most?

> And as I said they created Industrialized society and though they failed to fully introduce it here, the fact remains that Ireland did eventually Industrialize, adopting something that the British had created.

Where the fuck do you live, Ireland isn't industrialised? Honestly you sound like you don't live there with that assessment. 2 million died, 2 million had to leave the country. As part of the UK, the Irish were basically a slave class working a pittance on British owned land, the food of which was exported to Britain. Pretending that Britain in anyway 'lifted' the Irish up is just embarrassing.
>>
>>2247040
That is the neo progressive, post colonial, post industrial, post modern, racially nihilistic redefinition and i reject it completely on the grounds that it's gay and will probably turn you into a homosexual.

Just imagine it a baguette eating HOMOSEXUAL European. It makes me sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.
>>
>>2247040

That definition is incorrect ethnicity isn't related to culture. Ethnicity is biological (internal) culture is external.
>>
>>2247075
Why do you think your definition is the correct one? How does one find out which of two competing definitions is "the correct one"?
>>
>>2247075
Ok find an official definition similar to the one in your post and ill believe you
>>
>>2247065
Our biggest trading partner is and for virtually all our history was the UK. We spent most of our recent history being ruled from Britain. We watch British TV, British football, read British news etc. Only a plastic paddy would try to claim Britain isn't a huge influence on our culture.
>>
>>2247016
>So what? They controlled most of the country and transformed the lives of its inhabitants, introducing towns, administration, and feudalism along contemporary European lines.
By the 15th century English rule was reduced to the pale and Irish laws and customs prevailed until the Tudor conquest of Ireland.
>>
>>2247053
Can you actually adress the contents of my post with regards to arcane hominid dna persisting in contemporary peoples? Do you think this in no way influences society, culture, and civilization? If it does to what extent? If it doesn't why? Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist who studies human origins what is wrong with citing him?
>>
File: map1300.gif (11KB, 466x582px) Image search: [Google]
map1300.gif
11KB, 466x582px
>>2247065
Pic related is most of the country. It also doesn't show all the Gaelic chieftains who adopted Norman customs or the Normans who adopted Gaelic customs.

>Ireland isn't industrialised
Holy shit. You know absolutely nothing, Jesus Christ. Do you actually think we're all a bunch of potato farmers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland
>The economy of Ireland is a modern knowledge economy, focusing on services and high-tech industries and dependent on trade, industry and investment.

>2 million died, 2 million had to leave the country. As part of the UK, the Irish were basically a slave class working a pittance on British owned land, the food of which was exported to Britain. Pretending that Britain in anyway 'lifted' the Irish up is just embarrassing.
Again, reducing British rule to the famine while ignoring anything else. The British were cruel and oppressive, but you're just delusional if you ignore stuff like the introduction of modern education, government institutions, infrastructure, etc. Under British rule Ireland was held back from development, but when they left we were eventually able to thrive largely because of the institutions they left behind.

Also I like how you doubled the numbers of dead and emigrated, nice touch.
>>
>>2247098
The past is a foreign country. How do you think your bit of Neanderthal DNA influences your society, culture, and civilization? If it does to what extent? If it doesn't why?
>>
>>2247075
>ethnicity isn't related to culture
America needs to be nuked.
>>
>>2247098
> influences society, culture, and civilization
What is influence?

How does the influence of genetics on culture differ from the influence of the Big Bang on culture?

Did the Big Bang have no influence whatsoever on the outcome of cultures on the Earth?
>>
>>2247094
>We spent most of our recent history being ruled from Britain

Yes, and dying in their wars whilst being oppressed/starved. You even admit they tried to destroy Gaelic culture yet now you're praising them?

You sound like a plastic Brit maybe you should move there. Overall, Britain has been a detriment to Ireland. Cromwell, the famine, invading and planting Northern Ireland causing the troubles. TV shows and the premier league don't really make up for that. Obviously they're our biggest trading partner since they're the next door neighbor.
>>
>>2247124
I think is family have successfully glued a chip on his shoulder. Perhaps there is something to what he says.
>>
>>2247096
And? How does that refute the fact that the Irish were heavily influenced by the Normans? Even when English rule was reduced to the Pale, Norman lords ruled large parts of the country while even the Gaelic parts adopted significant aspects of Norman culture. the Normans introduced towns into what had previously been a completely rural world (other than the Viking ports), they introduced new forms of monasticism that dominated the country's religious life until the Tudor conquest, they introduced feudal economy and countless other cultural traits that remained regardless of whether the Normans remained in power or not. The Anglo-Irish descendants of the Normans also played a large role in the formation of Irish nationalism, which was initially built around Catholicism rather than ethnicity.

That's a huge an undeniable Norman influence.
>>
>>2247119
>>2247114
Holy shit, you guys literally do nothing but dance around the issue. Pointless talking to you since you are so triggered you are unable to be straightforward.
>>
>>2247140

I think it was more the other way around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Irish_than_the_Irish_themselves#History

>The descendants of Hiberno-Norman lords who had settled in Ireland in the 12th century had been significantly Gaelicised by the end of the Middle Ages, forming septs and clans after the indigenous Gaelic pattern, and became known as the Gall or "Old English" (contrasting with the "New English" arriving with the Tudor conquest of Ireland).[1][2] The Statutes of Kilkenny, 1366, complained that " ... now many English of the said land, forsaking the English language, manners, mode of riding, laws and usages, live and govern themselves according to the manners, fashion, and language of the Irish enemies".
>>
>>2247124
Nobody's denying the British were oppressive you fucking idiot, but that doesn't change the fact that Irish culture was heavily influenced by them. Do you think that the Mexicans weren't influenced by the Spanish because the Spanish were cruel towards them? Are you that fucking dense?
>>
>>2247112

>had to go on to wikipedia

Again I'm from Ireland and know the areas affected by the famine and the total lack of infrastructure/economy it caused. Why do you think so many left the country in the decades after? Because there was nothing there. Are you from Dublin or NI? I'm not doubling numbers, pre-famine Ireland had a population of 8 million afterwards it was 4 million.

>the introduction of modern education

Again, embarrassing. My grandad emigrated from a famine stricken region and he only went to school until 14 because of the lack of facilities/people there were. If anything, the EU and it's funding has accelerated the recent development of Ireland there was fuck all in the decades before that after Independence.
>>
>>2247153
It went both ways. And if anything this goes completely against the argument that Irishness has anything to do with genetics and surnames.
>>
>>2247090

What do you mean by "official"?

>>2247116

I'm not American.
>>
>>2247124
Hey, if wasn't for the Limeys, your ancestors probably would have stayed in the soggy shit hole and not moved to America. You should thank them for that dude
>>
Gaul > insular Celts
>>
>>2247169
>>2247116
He's not the American, i am. The fella going on about Neanderthal ancestry. I'm actually really cool, and everything i say is right.
>>
>>2247158
>Irish culture was heavily influenced by them

No, not really. Irish culture is Gaelic which existed long before Brits arrived and preserved in spite of them. "Heavily influenced" to the extent they tried to destroy it sure. Why do you have such a hard on for Britain anyway?
>>
>>2247145
Funny, because I think it's you who doesn't address the core issue: that of definitions.

Kinda like a Holocaust denier that vomits out all sorts of facts that fit into his narrative, but never actually addresses whether the totality of facts support whether the Holocaust happened, and, more importantly, never addresses what the sufficient standard of proof would be.
>>
>>2247184
Haha you're such a spastic. The based Irish guy has shown you beyond all fuckery that Irish culture has been heavily influenced by many cultures (not just the Britcucks) and you still won't accept it and think that it is magically still the same as that of Cuchualan. You're the definition of a dullard.
>>
>>2247165

So because a group invaded and subjugated a people that means they have a right to determine that countrys identity? So is the African continents identity now British identity because of the empire? Again, Irishness = Gaelic.

In the same way that you'd say Englishness = Anglo-Saxon despite the fact they were conquered by Normans in 1066.
>>
>>2247223
Here you have it. Do you deny that the African nations of the former empire were influenced by the Brits that ruled and oppressed them?
>>
>>2247184
You're completely delusional, Gaelic Ireland has been dead since the 17th century. Irish people speak English, follow a common-law legal system (not Brehon law), have a parliamentary democratic government (not a High Kingship), play English as much as Irish sports, live in houses (not huts), mostly listen to non-traditional music, have a capitalist economy (not a barter economy), etc.

These are influences brought largely from Britain.

>Why do you have such a hard on for Britain anyway?
I'm acknowledging reality rather than rejecting it because I don't like it.
>>
>>2247217

I'm not disputing it's been influenced. Yeats, Wilde, Protestant ascendancy. My point is it isn't the native culture. That will always be Gaelic. And the reason that's important is because that is the ethnicity of the people of Ireland throughout it's history and the culture they developed.
>>
>>2247223
Nobody in this thread has suggested that the Irish are English, you subhuman shit. I'm saying that the English influenced Ireland, and that Ireland was never genetically determined.

>In the same way that you'd say Englishness = Anglo-Saxon despite the fact they were conquered by Normans in 1066.
Only a fucking idiot would think the English weren't heavily influenced by the Normans. And again this goes against the idea that ethnicity is genetic, since the Normans in England adopted the English ethnicity.
>>
>>2247239
>Irish people speak English

Still learn Gaelic in schools, you're completely ignoring this.

>play English as much as Irish sports

Nope, if you lived in Ireland you'd know the most widely played games are Gaelic. Hurling and Gaelic football. Rugby third and soccer a distant fourth. Confirmed for not even Irish.
>>
>>2247201
The guy going on and on about ethnicity and genetics being synonymous is a different anon. No, i sourced a link which will lead you to research which seems to suggest that lipid catabolism is driven by Neanderthal ancestry in contemporary Europeans. Then i asked you, do you think the presence of arcane hominid dna in contemporary peoples influences society, culture, and civilization? You don't want to dissect this question because it threatens your worldview i suspect. It's pointless talking to you, because you will never actually provide persuasive evidence which contradicts my point, which is, that human biological diversity is real. You will invoke /pol/, you will invoke flat earthers, you will attack my character, you will do everything but address the contents of my argument and provide scientific data which has lead you to believe that i am wrong.
>>
>>2247273
Again, no one here calls it "Gaelic", you're an embarrassment to whatever shithole you're from
>>
>>2247259

>adopt ethnicity

You can't adopt ethnicity. It is genetic. Those Normans invaded and conquered England but that didn't magically wave a wand and convert their DNA into Anglo-Saxon Germanic DNA. If they inter-bred then they became Anglo-Norman which was a new ethnicity separate from the native one.
>>
>>2247273
>Still learn Gaelic in schools, you're completely ignoring this.
And then never speak it again. people use English in daily life outside of the most remote regions of the country, and even those are sadly being Anglicized. Irish is mostly equivalent to Latin here.

>Nope, if you lived in Ireland you'd know the most widely played games are Gaelic
Gaelic is the most popular by match attendance. Soccer is by far the most played.

You're delusional.
>>
>>2247292

Not an argument. Go home, plastic Brit.
>>
>>2247309
I haven't said one positive thing about Britain, you're deluded m8
>>
>>2247305
>Irish is mostly equivalent to Latin here

Kids have to learn it in school do they? Otherwise it's not equivalent.

>>2247305
>Soccer is by far the most played.

No it isn't, Gaelic games are. Again, confirmed for not even living there.
>>
>>2247273
Nope.
http://sportforbusiness.com/irelands-10-most-played-sports/

Exercise 12.2%
Swimming 9.4%
Running 8.5%
Cycling 5.9%
Soccer 5.9%
Dancing 4.3%
GAA 4.0%
Golf 3.3%
Weights 2.9%
Rugby 1.4%

Confirmed for being a muh ancestry dullard.
>>
>>2247325

hahah the state of that "source". I'm actually from Ireland so that bait is wasted.
>>
>>2247324
>No it isn't

Sorry m8 but you clearly have no fucking clue what it's like here, everyone and I mean everyone (cushy Dublin southside rugby schools included) plays football. You're ignorant as fuck.
>>
>>2247303
You are so fucking ignorant of history it's actually painful.

England never had 'Anglo-Saxon DNA'. English DNA, just like that of Ireland, comes from Mesolithic hunter-gatherers, Neolithic Anatolia and Bronze Age Ukraine. The Anglo Saxons imposed their language and identity over the native 'Celts', and that's where the Anglo-Saxon or English ethnicity comes from. It had nothing to do with genetics. The Normans adopted this ethnicity just like the native Britons did, except they adopted it from below rather than having it forced from above.

Again, you're an utter idiot.
>>
>>2247338
Why would they lie? You will not accept any evidence that flies in the face of your /pol/ tier views. Away and shite.
>>
>>2247338
>LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALA
Great argument.
>>
>>2247325
I don't think being a muh ancestry person makes you a dullard. On the contrary, i think being a rootless cosmopolitan 'global' citizen who adopts a one size fits all corporate culture makes you boring. You have no pulse. You seem to disdain the traditional, the rural, and dare i say the pagan side of man. In favour of what? This nihilistic post industrial society that believes in nothing. The cities of this world are like a cancer swallowing the soul of man, and you willingly volunteer to police and shame anyone who deviates from your their tyranny.
>>
File: images (30).jpg (10KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
images (30).jpg
10KB, 263x192px
Jokes on you guys: I am only about 1/8 Irish, but I am a selkie: true Irish indigenie.
>>
>>2247339

No they don't m8 I don't know who you're trying to fool but I'm Irish and travel around the country with family in different parts. It's laughable you're trying to say soccer is on the level of Gaelic games. All of Munster is hurling- Tipp/Clare/Limerick. Kids in Kilkenny are practically raised with a hurley in their hand. Cork, Kerry, Dublin, Ulster all play Gaelic football. Seriously you trolls aren't even from Ireland.
>>
File: celtic empire.jpg (68KB, 800x742px) Image search: [Google]
celtic empire.jpg
68KB, 800x742px
>>2241075
We conquered Europe long before the Romans
>>
>>2247384
Anecdotal

>>2247376
Strawman
>>
>>2247384
Statistics disprove your anecdotal evidence. You probably see Gaelic football so much because it's all you want to see. You've made it clear throughout this thread that you just ignore things you don't like.
>>
>>2247350

>anglo-saxon migration had no impact on English DNA

lol wow that's dumb

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/mar/18/genetic-study-30-percent-white-british-dna-german-ancestry

try again
>>
>>2247376
Because obviously everyone fits into those two categories
>>
ITT: partybro takes on actual /his/torians
>>
>>2247401
As much of a strawman as calling someone a muh ancestry dullard. Hypocrite.
>>
>>2247401

>talking about standards of evidence with that weak article

>>2247404

ah so you are baiting
>>
File: images (31).jpg (5KB, 307x164px) Image search: [Google]
images (31).jpg
5KB, 307x164px
>mfw this whole thread
>>
>>2247419
>The Irish Sports Monitor surveyed 9,500 individuals on their sporting participation and habits, taking into account different seasons.
>>
>>2247417
That's not a straw man, that's an insult, dullard.
>>
>>2247399
>Empire
>>
>>2247440
In other words an ad hominem
>>
>>2247429

>9500
>out of millions

sounds comprehensive. Also, any research that considers exercising, running and dancing sports is laughable.
>>
>>2247466
Still not a straw man, dullard.
>>
>>2247471
Not comprehensive. Statistically representative. And if you disqualify the three activities you mention (running isn't a sport?), soccer is still more popular than any 'Gaelic' sport.
>>
File: 1422447082962.jpg (10KB, 250x243px) Image search: [Google]
1422447082962.jpg
10KB, 250x243px
>you will never be a potatonigger eternally devastated that perfidious albion cucked his culture
>>
>>2247486

lol It's not though, if you lived in Ireland you'd know that. Soccer is not even close. Why do you think half the Irish soccer team is Brits with Irish ancestry? Because hardly an Irish actually play it.
>>
>>2247494
So, Brits with Irish ancestry aren't Irish but Bostonians are? You're tying yourself into knots. The reason for some of the Irish team being Brits is Ireland's relatively low population, not because the Irish don't play. Don't you even O'Leary and Keane?
>>
File: irish-fans-euros.jpg (73KB, 840x450px) Image search: [Google]
irish-fans-euros.jpg
73KB, 840x450px
Lots of Irish people not giving a fuck about football.
>>
>>2247514

Do you even live in Ireland? Again, the majority of athletes the country produces play GAA. No, it's not the low population, It's the fact soccer is a 4th string sport. 4million people could easily produce a good soccer team if it was the No1 sport.

>So, Brits with Irish ancestry aren't Irish

Sure they are if both their parents and/or all their grandparents are Irish. I'm talking about those with one Irish grandparent who choose to play for Ireland because they can't get in the England team.

>>2247547

Lots of Irish giving a fuck about hurling
>>
>>2247571
>4th string sport
Clueless
>>
>>2247588

What part of Ireland are you from?
>>
>>2247594
Kildare. Why the fuck does it matter? According to you, even if all my family had lived in New York for four generations, I'd still be just as Irish.
>>
File: images (32).jpg (12KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
images (32).jpg
12KB, 299x168px
>>
ITT plastic paddy /pol/tards BTFO by based bogtrotter /his/torians
>>
>>2247650
>ITT huge internet fight with no real clear winner
FTFY
>>
>>2247606

>famine emigrants aren't Irish

disgusting lad, your ancestors wold be ashamed. Sort it out.
>>
>>2247606

Also Kildare is a shite GAA county no wonder you're butthurt. Have you ever even won an All Ireland?
>>
>>2247743
Famine emigrants definitely were. I'm just not so sure about their great great fucking grandchildren.
>>
>>2241075
africa had advanced civilizations?
>>
>>2247750
I don't give a duck. I like badminton. Does that make me less Irish? Old better go out to the pub for a pint of the dark stuff and some English hating.

Cunt.
>>
>>2247795

Irish-American.

>thinking ethnicity changes when geographical location does

>>2247816

>I like badminton. Does that make me less Irish?

Yes kys gayboy
>>
File: IMG_3372.jpg (19KB, 151x262px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3372.jpg
19KB, 151x262px
>>2241617
Stop posting furfag shit with /his posts [spoiler] it's making never horny
Thread posts: 243
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.