[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-European History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: kek.jpg (42KB, 420x278px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
42KB, 420x278px
Is world history that doesn't have much of an effect on where we are now relevant or worth learning? I mean is it worth learning about Sub Saharan African history when most of it was rendered "useless" upon European colonization? What is the point? Is it just learning for the sake of learning? Or is that history relevant and I'm just too dumb to know how?
>>
>>2236573
Aside from just being interesting, even history which doesn't seem to matter that much generally does have an effect on the world today. When Europeans colonised Africa they didn't just wipe the slate clean and replace the past with their own civilization (like they did in Australia); they established some established some of their institutions and technology over earlier societies whose social, political, religious, economic, agricultural and other cultural practices and institutions still shape life in those places today. You might know where African technology and government institutions come from, but you wouldn't know anything beyond that. This applies everywhere. You wouldn't know anything about why Japan, China, India and Kenya are so different. You wouldn't know why the Islamic world is the way it is, or why the Australians were wiped out while Africans are still around, or why

I'd say some history is more important than others, and generally if you learn about the line of civilizations that goes, roughly, "Mesopotamia/Egypt - Greeks/Romans - Muslims/Christians - Western Europe and colonies," then you'd learn most of the most important the developments shaping the modern world, but you'd be missing major parts of the story like the domestication of horses and maize, the development of gunpowder and Indian numerals, and countless other things essential to the modern world. Furthermore as I said above, you'd only have the vaguest knowledge of most world regions, meaning you'd really only understand a handful of modern Western societies, and even those not completely.

Of course a lot of it we do just research because it's interesting. Irish metalworking and Mayan vase paintings don't really matter, but they're interesting so who cares?
>>
>>2236573

History is valuable because it tells us the kinds of solutions humans come up with to various situations. We may never have to survive as hunter gatherers again, but by examining hunter gatherer societies we can learn many interesting truths about all humans, and thus, about ourselves.
>>
An intelligent man makes it his mission to learn everything about everything. Nothing is worth more than anything else and everything must be studied.
>>
>>2236573
>mean is it worth learning about Sub Saharan African history
No, not at all, sub Saharan Africa is irrelevant.
But Asian history is quite interesting, be it Indo-Persian, Chinese or Japanese history. South American pre-columbian cultures are also nice.
>>
>>2236694
Intelligent men also prioritizes his studies aswell as diversifies his understanding of the nature of the world.
>>
>>2236694
>An intelligent man makes it his mission to learn everything about everything.
Does this validate my expert knowledge of late '90's futa movies?
>>
>>2236714
Yes.
>>
>Africa
Don't you want to know what was going on in the Mongol empire, China, Srivijaya and all these interesting places?
>>
Wow, not too many shitposts. Yeah Im interested in some things that I think are not useful and not interested in some things that are, I'm speaking generally to what has an effect on the modern world, which would include, say, the Chinese Celestial Empire, even though it isn't around anymore.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.