[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to find a book or a web page that gives a history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: Cat.jpg (256KB, 757x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cat.jpg
256KB, 757x600px
I'm trying to find a book or a web page that gives a history of a single British battalion in World War 1. I want to get a feel for the rhythm for a battalion's rotation, preferably with specific dates. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm doing an RPG campaign in the First World War using the game Patrol.

In return here's a Trenchy Cat
>>
File: 1456541737205.jpg (178KB, 851x903px) Image search: [Google]
1456541737205.jpg
178KB, 851x903px
While Canadian, not British specifically, here is a link to the CEF war diaries, which are all online.

We pretty much copied the British example outright, so it will be a pretty good guide. I have used the 29th Battalion, "Tobin's Tigers" from Vancouver as the example. Sorry about the mental url...

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/nph-brs?s1=29th+canadian+infantry+battalion&s13=&s12=&l=20&s9=RG9&s7=9-52&Sect1=IMAGE&Sect2=THESOFF&Sect4=AND&Sect5=WARDPEN&Sect6=HITOFF&d=FIND&p=1&u=http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02015202_e.html&r=1&f=G

Photo shows the sniper-scout section of the 29th, with the rare Ross Rifle sniper conversion.
>>
File: 29th.jpg (96KB, 950x602px) Image search: [Google]
29th.jpg
96KB, 950x602px
>>2235233

Oh, and an example page. The pagination on that link is weird--1917 is at the top of the page, then as you scroll down it goes into 1915 and 1916.
>>
>>2235233
This is fantastic thanks a million.
>>
>>2235149
I know you asked specifically for British but look into All Quiet on the Western Front. Gives off a bit of the vibe you seem to be looking for. Or are you perhaps looking for something more clean cut and factual?
>>
>>2235520
Patrol doesn't necessarily need factual info, but it plays better when you have some basic facts, where they aid verisimilitude. For instance it heavily suggests giving your players period maps to use to mark locations. It's also heavily built on dealing with the whole of the soldiering experience. Physical fatigue and mental stress are far more important to the mechanics than straight simulationist combat. It's the kind of game that doesn't have rules for acrobatics but it does have rules for drug use.

I've read All Quiet and I've read a decent amount of literature about WW1 in general to try and get at a tone I want to play with (Wilfred Owen is the most depressing person holy shit). The problem with All Quiet is that Germany's system was so much more mentally taxing than Britain's because you were on the firing line so much longer since they didn't have the troops to rotate. While Britain was always on the verge of being under supplied, by the mid point of the War Germany was having difficulty keeping its men fed.
>>
>>2235233
Did most battalions have a whole section devoted to scouting? From what I'd read it was a lot more ad hoc of a system than that, though I've mostly read about stuff from The Somme and before.
>>
>>2235584
Seems like you know a lot more about it than me. For me All Quiet is the 'go-to' book when people ask how WWI was for the common soldier hence the recommendation.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.