[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So was early Christianity apocalyptic? The evidence from the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Apocalypse_vasnetsov.jpg (634KB, 2290x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Apocalypse_vasnetsov.jpg
634KB, 2290x1200px
So was early Christianity apocalyptic? The evidence from the New Testament seems pretty strong, especially Mark 13:24-27, which says

"the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. And then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And then he will send out the angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of heaven."

And Mark 13:30 goes on to say "Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

Which really strongly suggests God's final judgement during Jesus' generation.

There are several other passages that support it as well, I can't find it now but I remember one section of Paul that seemed to be consoling Christians who had relatives pass away and were worried what that meant for the imminent judgement.

What are some scholarly opinions on it?
>>
>So was early Christianity apocalyptic?

Yes, very.
>>
Christianity IS apocalyptic.

t. Christian
>>
>>2232913
So why do you still follow it when it's clear that it failed
>>
>>2232783
>So was early Christianity apocalyptic?
Yes.

>What are some scholarly opinions on it?
That it was apocalyptic. There really isn't very much debate about it.
>>
>>2232783
Isn't one of the main reasons that nobody close to Jesus ever wrote anything down was that they believed they were living in the end times so there was no need to keep record?
>>
For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night. (Psalm 90:4)
>>
>>2233006
is generation supposed to mean year here or something
>>
Christianity is merely a charismatic doomsday cult that managed to survive their prophet's doomsday prophesies not coming true. I mean their founder even claimed to be son of god. That's as cultish as it gets.
>>
>>2233128
>n-no guys he's coming back I swear

And thus it survived.
>>
>>2233128
>>2233208
euphoric
>>
>>2232935
Jesus will surely deliver. We just have to wait.
>>
>>2232935
Followers of Christ experience eternal life, so it hasn't failed.
>>
>>2233128

And by claiming to be the Son of God, that is claiming to be God.

It's only cultish if it's an offshoot of something that is real.
>>
>>2233523
Like Judaism?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.