[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Lie My Teacher Told Me" by James W. Loewen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 2012 11 12 Loewen_Combo_Node.jpg (189KB, 510x300px) Image search: [Google]
2012 11 12 Loewen_Combo_Node.jpg
189KB, 510x300px
What does /his/ think of James W. Loewen, author of "Lies My Teacher Told Me"?

Originally published in 1995, "Lies My Teacher Told Me" was required reading for my high school's American history class, so the content set the tone for the curriculum. I speculate the time I read that book (2004-2005) coincided with cultural progressivism's gaining traction from the Bush years. Progressives had decades of significant victories, especially in the 90s of which this book a product on that era's zeitgeist. Gore's loss and the outburst of Jingoism post-9/11 galvanized progressives to push for a bigger paradigm shift. They were hopeful Obama would bring back the Clinton years, but failed, especially now with our President elect.

Anyway...

The crux of Loewen's polemic highlights textbook understatement or omission of bloody conflict/treachery between colonists and indigenous people of the New World. Barely any detail is given to the Vietnam War, and the few passages which cover the events omit the atrocities committed by US Troops. In other places, textbooks lie about even the most trivial details, such as the origin of the "Betsy Ross" flag. For Loewen, perpetuating the myth of Christopher Columbus's discovery of America stands as the salient failure of American education. Loewen chalks the poor scholarship up to ethnocentrism and racism, which also explains why textbooks underplay or deny other more credible alternative perspectives.

Loewen's work is ridden with progressive bias, and in some cases, the alternative theories he cites turn out to be absolute bunk, but he challenges the layman by shattering preconceived notions and introducing novel concepts which merit debate.
>>
>>2232026
>bias

Using this word on /his/ should be bannable. Historians have accepted for over 60 years that bias is inherent to all works. A search for an objective truth is futile, because every primary source comes from a particular perspective.
>>
>>2232026
This book had rampant revisionism, but was he really that progressive though? I mean he ripped Woodrow Wilson a new one in that book
>>
>>2232318
Most modern progressives do. You forget that Wilson watched Birth of a Nation in the White House AND ENJOYED IT. Modern progressives do not like Woodrow Wilson despite the fact he's their patron saint.
>>
>>2232259
>Bias is inevitable
>Therefore you shouldn't criticize blatantly biased works for it and you shouldn't strive to be unbiased.
Literally kill yourself.
>>
>>2232353
And also set race relations back decades by encouraging re-segregation of federal agencies.
>>
>>2232395
Every work is blatantly biased
>>
>>2232259
I think some kind of citation for this is in order

Also it's possible to use different sources from different sides and come to a synthetic conclusion
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.