[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

G.K Chesterton

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: g.k chesterton.jpg (155KB, 582x718px) Image search: [Google]
g.k chesterton.jpg
155KB, 582x718px
worth reading or no?
>>
dude was an intellectual giant
>>
>>2224701
Yes
>>
He was a Christian

so i doubt he was actually intelligent
>>
>>2224857
That edge was so sharp it cut me.
>>
>>2224701

He apparently has 'worthwhile literature', and let me admit to never having read any of his longer items (you should not stop reading now, but continue). However I personally hate everything that I have ever read about him, or actuallly read of his. I sincerely hate everything that G.K. Chesterton would seem to represent, which is a sort of of smug self-satisfaction in sentimentality and tradition.

Chesterton was literally the Christian analogue of what we now understand the Fedora trope to mean about unkempt fat atheists who think they're cool. /Look at his hair in the picture, for god's sake/. A large man, the overweight, 6'4"-ish Chesterton was known to wear a cape on a regular basis - it is difficult for an internet browser of a certain age not to imagine extra-fat Homer in his muumuu.

But let me step away from the richly deserved ad-homs a moment to turn to the small bits that I have actually read, in order to have formed my sharp opinion of this idiot based on my scant checks: the idiotic, sentimental, stupid fucking aphorisms. god, the aphorisms. Further, everything I've ever read. I used to flip past EWTN on tv (a catholic channel) and periodically they'd cosplay and LARP Chesterton, which was where I first learned to hate the person. And that's really the central business of all this: the unwarranted and false satisfaction in a false god and in a false christ, via the smug comfy of belonging to a popular false cult. It shall never be justified, no matter who does it.

"Oh dear me, the trouble about x and y is that there is not enough y in x. DONE! Darling, be a dear and fetch my cape I must out to a piece of business~"

Fuck Chesterton.
>>
>>2224701
>reading things by obese people
>>
>>2225119

You would like Kirkegaard, my friend. He despised the lazily confident smug Christians he saw so many of.
>>
>>2225133
>lazily confident smug
What's wrong with these traits, honestly?
>>
>>2224701
That's really more of a /lit/ question

But yes, he is. Ignore the pasta
>>
Ignore the shitposters, he's a very perceptive author and nearly all of what he wrote is still relevant today, perhaps even moreso than when he first wrote it.

For example, here's an excerpt from his book "Heretics," which I was reading earlier today:

"When the old Liberals removed the gags from all the heresies, their idea was that religious and philosophical discoveries might thus be made. Their view was that cosmic truth was so important that every one ought to bear independent testimony. The modern idea is that cosmic truth is so unimportant that it cannot matter what any one says. The former freed inquiry as men loose a noble hound; the latter frees inquiry as men fling back into the sea a fish unfit for eating. Never has there been so little discussion about the nature of men as now, when, for the first time, any one can discuss it. The old restriction meant that only the orthodox were allowed to discuss religion. Modern liberty means that nobody is allowed to discuss it. Good taste, the last and vilest of human superstitions, has succeeded in silencing us where all the rest have failed."
>>
from what i've read of him on nietzsche he seems like a fuckwit but i didn't bother to remember why
>>
>>2225133

As Kirkegaard is apparently a Christian, no I ultimatley would not, his possible incisive analysis of exactly this type of thing notwithstanding.

Still, my past life is a nominally protestant upbringing which never did stick (yet also wasn't overbearing), and this may explain to some extent my impulsive contempt especially for a Chesterton.
>>
>>2225233

more "x is y y is x lel :^)" sentimental bullshit. What you've just posted is exactly the type of thing that I actually hate from that man, and this because it is actually wrong - there is no real insight, there is only an author who is sentimental as to a change of a state of affairs. And no, anon, the horrors of the twentieth century are no vindication of him. He remains awful, and the truth is in between.

I would live in a soviet gulag eight days a week than to suffer this prick.
>>
File: 250934348.jpg (160KB, 715x755px) Image search: [Google]
250934348.jpg
160KB, 715x755px
>>2225564
>Automatically rejecting authors simply because they're Christian
>>
>>2225611
Is that a rare fedora I smell?
>>
>>2225584
>>2225564
>>2225119
where did the christians touch you?
>>
>>2225564
You're a fucking weirdo, dude. Take a chill pill.
>>2224701
Yes, Chesterton's delightful. The man who was Thursday is a particular favorite. Orthodoxy and Heretics are good too.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.