[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1.000.000.000+ City

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: london_from_space.jpg (1MB, 4256x2832px) Image search: [Google]
london_from_space.jpg
1MB, 4256x2832px
Hey /his/
Guess this is the best board to ask

I've been thinking, what will be the first city with a population over 1.000.000.000?
Are there even any cities at the moment that can grow big like that?
With enough room and a structural architecture - I mean infrastructure, the supporting ground (cities are heavy), weather conditions - that wouldn't completely break down at some point?
>>
You see, rich people don't have that many kids.

So the only people with the money to build a city that big would be the people who don't have any children.
>>
>>2224399
ok
>>
the largest cities today are like 25 million. i would guess itd be places like bejing, Shanghai, Karachi or maybe fucked up places like Lagos
>>
Probably Delhi or something like merging of a metroloplitan areas like Greater Greater Tokio.
>>
>>2224393
Probably somewhere in China, maybe the Pearl River Valley but it wouldn't really be A city but a huge, highly urbanized area. That or maybe a fuck-huge space station.
>>
File: Tokyo skyline.jpg (324KB, 1751x1313px) Image search: [Google]
Tokyo skyline.jpg
324KB, 1751x1313px
>>2224420
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalopolis_(city_type)

It would probably be one of these but way bigger.

The density would be about the same as today's cities, but it would just stretch out horizontally forever.
>>
>>2224431
>urbanized area
thats what itd have to be, and you already see this in places like shanghai where the metro area has as many people as the city. no one municipal entity could service a billion people
>>
>>2224431
>>2224435
>>2224437
I think we are all saying pretty much the same thing. kek
>>
>>2224435
Yeah, I live in "The Blue Banana"
but what I'm imagining is way more connected

I'm thinking that - in 100 years or more - all those cities eventually grow so big and close together that they might be one big city with a unified infrastructure
my city alone is already expanding its subway and urban railway lines to its suburbs and every single place is growing like fucking mold over every little piece of free area that's left
the urban area is already almost as full as it can get, now the suburbs are growing by multiple thousands, parts grow by >10000 every year
if we keep going like that... I don't know if our infrastructure here can hold that
>>
File: 1378337161585.gif (64KB, 882x614px) Image search: [Google]
1378337161585.gif
64KB, 882x614px
>>2224472
Most of the industrialized world has extremely slow or negative population growth.

What you want to do is keep voting for right wing parties until you get like a Japan-tier immigration policy, then you don't have to worry about urban planning.
>>
>With enough room and a structural architecture - I mean infrastructure, the supporting ground (cities are heavy), weather conditions - that wouldn't completely break down at some point?

Area taken by transport infrastructure scales sublinearly with city size so that actually becomes (relatively) less of a problem the bigger you get.
>>
>>2224393
I guess that would need some semantics to discuss.
What do you really consider a city ? Because a billion people is a huge population.
Let's take for example the US northeast from Washington DC to Boston, where the northeastern corridor rail tracks go.

Due to massive change in infrastructe, all the big cities along this railtrack develop and we have a stretch of land, contiguous, of urban area that would hold that many people.
Would you call it "one city" ? Currently you certainly couldn't call it a city, it would be called a megalopolis, which is an agglomeration of cities. For the sake of argument, let's say congress redraw the states' border ,create a new state that consists of this massive urban area, with a centralized seat of local government .
Then I'd reckon you'd have a billion people city, composed of several other former cities,under one authority.

However things as they are right now, it's more a matter of resources than anything. A billion people is a lot of people. Surely if we have the transportation technology to move all the resources to a single gigantic hub (as well as information), then perhaps those people don't need to live in said hub
>>
File: nyc_at_night_small.jpg (92KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
nyc_at_night_small.jpg
92KB, 640x480px
>population over 1.000.000.000
New York City in real life possesses an estimated 26,400 people per square mile
1.000.000.000/26,400=37,878 square miles
That means a New York City with the size of Indiana
>>
>>2224549
Jesus this reads like shit. It was better in my intoxicated mind. Sorry about that
>>
>>2224573
Sounds. We gotta increase density hugely. Basically need all new infrastructure for people moving around, for delivery of goods, etc. etc.
>>
>>2224573
NYC isn't that densely populated really. It is fuckhuge tho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_population_density
Here's a youtube video about what if all the population on earth lived on real life city density
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_iNRGac_uM
>>
>>2224472
>Yeah, I live in "The Blue Banana
Wtf I was aware of the concept "Blue Banana" but I just realized that I also live in it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.