[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Caligula- Master Troll, Insane, or just bored

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: caligula.jpg (17KB, 220x301px) Image search: [Google]
caligula.jpg
17KB, 220x301px
there's a story where Caligula supposedly declared war on Poseidon and had his legions stand on the beach and stab the water....after so many hours he eventually declared victory and had his men collect sea shells as a war trophy
>>
File: Bitch.jpg (148KB, 686x385px) Image search: [Google]
Bitch.jpg
148KB, 686x385px
Yeah, he was going to invade Britain but lost his nerve when he got to the shore and thought sea shells would suffice as evidence of his victory... I think
>>
The senate and legions could tolerate a decadent emperor, but if his shenanigans extended to them he would be seen as a liability and disposed of.
>>
dude was legit crazy
>>
File: 9788425424168.jpg (168KB, 791x1203px) Image search: [Google]
9788425424168.jpg
168KB, 791x1203px
>>2221326
A troll. Not a masterful tho since he got stabbed and stuff.

All the stories like>>2221335 are senatorial propaganda. He just couldn't play the game Augustus invented. Pic related you wiki warrior.
>>
rome was a meme and all the emperors were retarded faggots (literally gay (for men))
>>
He was pretty crazy, but I think a lot of the shit he pulled was just mocking everyone around him rather than being sincere. For example, when he wanted his horse named consul, he was just calling all the senators dumb and useless. I doubt he actually thought his horse would be a good consul.
>>
>>2223428
>For example, when he wanted his horse named consul, he was just calling all the senators dumb and useless. I doubt he actually thought his horse would be a good consul.
You are missing the point of the story imho. Keep in mind that he even invited the senators to a diner in honor of the horse and that early in his career, even Tacitus agrees on that, he was pretty cool with the senate that then tried to form a conspiracy.
The point is that the facade of senatorial rule is just that - a facade. The princeps could name anyone consul, no matter his family name of achievement. So whether or not the story is true is actually not that important. What is important and pretty visible in the sources is that Caligula was tired of trying to pretend the senators were still ruling after they tried to fuck with him.

As for the mental illness: Flavius Josephus, who had every reason to hate the dude. met him and doesn't mention it. I can't think of no logical reason for him to lie about this. Tacitus on the other hand had tons of reason to bad mouth him.
>>
>>2223428
>Try to prank everyone and get your horse into political office
>It's the funniest fucking thing you've ever thought of
>Uptight politicians can't take a joke
>Reputation for insanity 2000 years later
>>
Most sources come from Senators who had every reason to slander him though I don't doubt absolute power could drive somebody with what we know of Caligula's personality. I think him making his horse a Consul was him mocking the Senate though.
>>
>>2223548
>political office
You know what the word for that is in Latin "honores". You know what the word honores also means? "Honor". He literally insulted the senatorial elites honor whose whole existence is based on honor-stratification. Of course they were pissed.
http://latindictionary.wikidot.com/noun:honor
Also the horse did not get into office.
>>
>>2223586
crazy*
>>
>>2223590
So basically my analysis was correct?
>>
>>2223602
Did I say you were wrong?
But honor is not a laughing matter when your privilege and social status entirely depends upon it. I know you were joking but the senatorial reaction has little to do with being uptight.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.