[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you start learning history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: asimov.jpg (142KB, 620x361px) Image search: [Google]
asimov.jpg
142KB, 620x361px
How did you start learning history?
>>
Well, throughout history, man has evolved to know that it comes to knowing how to with or holding in like it for what it's worth on doing.
>>
i went to school
>>
>>2219245
Legends of the Hidden Temple
>>
Because public school isn't interested in teaching anything outside a watered down version of American history I had to read on my own to learn about European history. It was a pretty random collection of books, whatever I could find at the library that looked interesting. Books on the middle ages, the fall of Rome, mesopotamian farming methods, etc.

Then I went to college and took lots of classes focused on ancient and medieval history. I still pick up and read new books on history whenever find them to this day.
>>
>>2219245

My father was a serious, serious player (like, would go away on tournaments for a week at a time) of this WW2 hex and chit game.

I grew up with a board in my basement and wanting to learn how to play. Dad crushed me, of course, so I started reading up on actual WW2 to try to get at least some sort of handle of what to do, an 8 year old has a very limited grasp of strategy.
>>
>go to public schools in NYC full of braindead niggers, Hispanics, and stupid white jersey shore trash fucks
>watch history channel and read the high school history textbook cover to cover
>automatically already know more than 99% of the school, teacher takes a liking to me
>enroll in CUNY in a history major, again surrounded by mostly disinterested and dumb students, professors like me because I can string together sentence without grunting
>random autismos on the internet regularly btfo me on knowledge about history, turns out my knowledge of history is entry level as fuck it's just that literally everyone around me is retarded
>decide to change majors and do a CS degree instead

haven't looked back ever since
>>
>>2219245

I started with World War 2 stuff when was your my great grandfather would tell me his stories from the Pacific theatre and from then on out I just dug deeper. Not the only thing when it comes to history I'm interested but it's where I started
>>
Age of Empires 2
>>
>>2219406

Oh shit same here
>>
Will Durant's Story of Civilization set. Branched off from there.
>>
Horrible History books in primary school.
>>
>>2219326
/thread
>>
Age of empires 2, saw it when i was 7, hooked on history ever since
>>
some books in kindergarten
>>
>>2220959

also from books that parents got for me at the time, or from any of the reference texts my father had on just about any bookshelf
>>
>>2219245
Started with dinosaurs around 2 or 3
>>
>>2220853
This. Where to now?
>>
>>2220970
My grandpa was a professor of history
>>
>>2219245
On my own terms? Conspiracies mostly, into all the weird stuff, and anything involving human suffering, not entirely sure why.

>Holocaust
>Romanov's
>Greek mythology
>Germanic royals
>Black Plague

It's all pretty good stuff. My problem is that I heavily read into really specific periods but then know jack about a lot of others.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.