[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if the protestants won?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: Confused.gif (1MB, 460x243px) Image search: [Google]
Confused.gif
1MB, 460x243px
Those European wars of religion. What if the protestants defeated all of the catholic world?

Was the idea of a single protestant church replacing the catholic church as the single church in Europe an idea some people actually wanted?

What do protestants even think about Peter and the popes, would there still be a bishop of Rome if Rome was protestant?
>>
Except they did win. Look at the United States.
>>
File: Something is wrong.jpg (106KB, 708x720px) Image search: [Google]
Something is wrong.jpg
106KB, 708x720px
>>2216300
>What do protestants even think about Peter and the popes
>>
>>2216300
It's what luther wanted, but at that point it was no longer possible.
Lot's of people didn't even care about the doctrine, they just wanted a decentralized religion.
>>
File: Solas.jpg (47KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Solas.jpg
47KB, 960x960px
>>2216373
>they just wanted a decentralized religion.

that was the doctrine. . .
>>
File: Shiggy.png (320KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Shiggy.png
320KB, 500x375px
>>2216373
>>2216376
Or rather we want a religion centralized on Jesus not Rome.
>>
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
>>
>>2216373

Luther wanted to reform the Catholic Church according to his own personal criteria. That's why the whole thing is called the Reformation.

And indeed there was a reformation of the Catholic Church, starting with the Trent Councils that confirmed the core points of the theological doctrine, confirmed Luther's ideas as wrong and heretic, but also implemented many reforms that led to the Catholic Counter-Reformation.
>>
>>2216525
This. The counter-reformation is a much more peaceful and interesting set of reforms.
>>
File: Martin.jpg (148KB, 1023x681px) Image search: [Google]
Martin.jpg
148KB, 1023x681px
>>2216525
http://religionnews.com/2015/08/26/vatican-backs-plan-name-rome-square-martin-luther/
>>
they lost this battle

"One indication of Trump's unorthodox approach in choosing inauguration prayer leaders is the absence of any representative of mainline Protestantism, the dominant faith tradition of U.S. presidents throughout the country's history."

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/13/509558608/with-his-choice-of-inauguration-prayer-leaders-trump-shows-his-values
>>
>>2218494
the mainlines are a joke

and keep your eye on franklin graham
>>
>>2216380
That would mean someone has to have authority to speak for Jesus, since the guy was rotting in grave for more than a millenium.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.