[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Authenticity & Media

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: thinking about honest men.jpg (223KB, 1058x1058px) Image search: [Google]
thinking about honest men.jpg
223KB, 1058x1058px
What are some good argument on the subject of the authenticity of physical media vs the easily consumable digitized media? What do you prefer and why? Personally I feel the saturation of media on the internet has made things less authentic and the overload of information can desensitize people from having a greater appreciation of say a painting, film or piece of music.

I find sometimes that having something so easily accessible via the internet can rid of the sanctity of the art itself. My uncle told me how before the internet he'd need to go to the nth degree to find obscure films and music he had wanted to see and hear from video stores music stores across the country, sometimes even get to the point of robbery. It's hard to replicate that kind of passion in the internet age.
>>
shameless self bump
>>
>>2215714
Learning all of this shit is hard enough without having to spend months tracking it down. Be glad we have the advantages we do and use them to the fullest extent you can.
>>
Digital media is better than physical media because it's accessible. Your second paragraph is just appealing to the romantic view of print media. Hard copies are no more authentic than digital ones. Both are mediums. The main focus should be the literature itself.
>>
>>2215714
interesting idea. isn't digital media ultimately physical, i mean it has a physical home somewhere it's just really small.

we do experience art, not just consume it, as you suggest. so state of mind colors whatever you're looking at or hearing.

for me i look at the upside, i can listen to any classical music ever recorded in the history of man, instantly for free. yes as you suggest there are drawbacks, but most of those i can't do a single thing about. i try to appreciate the power I do have. hopefully some day i will go to the opera live. maybe i never would have if i couldn't listen for free on the radio initially.

ultimately everything is transient. Even though it seems like modernity conquered nature, everything is subject to time and destruction, so even things digitally preserved can be forgotten. Even some great artistic works may be preserved in an archive but completely out of consciousness because they simply were forgotten about.
>>
>>2215714
Its tied into everyones wants and desires. Personally, yes we have unlimited information, but its not making any feel more brilliant, or genuine, like your saying. I feel like we are just moving farther away from the plot of our lives. I feel like human beings, being a smart as they are now, are just wasting so much more of there lives. Like, if Socrates said people waste their entire lives, I don't know what he would think about today. He probably wouldn't even try.
>>
>>2216398
the battle against distraction is one of the greatest ones in modern times.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.