[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"western civilization"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 27

File: Frodo.jpg (8KB, 250x249px) Image search: [Google]
Frodo.jpg
8KB, 250x249px
>People actually think this is a real thing and not a vaguely defined abstraction.
>>
>>2215607
>people actually think vaguely defined abstractions aren't real things
>>
>I'm threatened by European Christendom uniting under a common banner in an increasingly globalized world so I will belittle them in an attempt to divide and conquer
>>
>>2215612
Abstractions are good when its "White Privilege" but bad when its "Western Civilization."
>>
>>2215607

Western civilization is what used to exist. Now its 'American civilization'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr8ljRgcJNM
>>
File: 1444239657417.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1444239657417.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>2215620
>European Christendom

Literally what?
>>
>>2215607
The only people who use that phrase are /pol/ types and SJWs desu
>>
>>2215624
But it's objective that minorities are worse-off in a lot of areas than whites. Black and brown people tend to be perceived as less competent by teachers and employers regardless of their actual merit. On the flipside, Asians are stereotyped as smart but antisocial, which leads to their exclusion from affirmative action policies and their general inability to be chosen for managerial positions -- the notorious "bamboo ceiling".
>>
>>2215640
Western civilization is extremely common in the vernacular. Is everything /pol/ to you?
>>
>>2215660
>But it's objective that minorities are worse-off in a lot of areas than whites.
Vague and ambiguous
>>
>>2215673

I never hear it said IRL. Except when talking about the ancient Greeks and stuff.
>>
File: IMG_0061.jpg (18KB, 200x237px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0061.jpg
18KB, 200x237px
>>2215660
Not every minority. Sounds spooked
>>
>>2215681
I hear it on news, in history books and general discussions of a varied nature.
>>
>>2215685
>I hear it on news

In what context?
>>
>>2215607
"Western" civilization is an euphemism for White civilization
>>
>>2215695
Geopolitical clashes. Terrorism
>>
>>2215710
>Geopolitical clashes. Terrorism

So they are saying the terrorists are attacking "western civilization"? That's like George Bush levels of saying "they hate us because of our freedoms".
>>
>>2215631
He means the fairy tale /pol/ told him, where antiquated beliefs unite catholic, orthodox, protestant and other groups in a pan-european trans-national alliance to defeat the cucks
>>
>>2215724
>antiquated beliefs
*tips fedora
>>
Excuse me, but it's called "faustian civilization" and it is well defined and very real
>>
>>2215724
>Christian sects fought in the past therefore it's impossible for people to unite under a weak bland kind of cultural Christianity in the modern world
>>
Modern Christendom would be very African.

And, to be frank, Christendom and nationalism is non-compatible. It was nationalism that destroyed Christendom, what with the wars of religion and the treaty of Westphalia and such.
>>
>>2215728
Perfect go to for a non rebuttal to a semi joking post. gj
>>2215731
Missing the point entirely. See
>>2215607
The cultural/historical differences are too vast.
>>
>>2215743
>The cultural/historical differences are too vast.
{citation needed}
>>
>>2215624
Kill yourself
>>
if sjws love to go on and on about how humanity would unite across racial lines if fighting an exterrestrial threat why are they so skeptical of Europeans uniting against an islamic threat?

love of premarital sex, drinking alcohol, and having fond memories of going to church with your grandma and not really paying attention as a child is all it takes to unite people starting in Portugal and ending in Greece against the Islamic threat
>>
>>2215673
What does it mean? All of Europe? Catholic and Protestant countries? Or only Romance or Germanic-speaking countries?

Is Sicily really more similar to Iceland than to Tunisia?
>>
>>2215752
So the fact that most churchs think that the other church's are not only wrong, but following their teachings will make you end up in hell would not cause major divisions?
>>
>>2215765
>Is Sicily really more similar to Iceland than to Tunisia?
Yes
>>
>>2215765
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture
>>
>>2215766
>So the fact that most churchs think that the other church's are not only wrong, but following their teachings will make you end up in hell would not cause major divisions?
In the current environment, no. Notice how Trump got support from Christian sects across the gauntlet.
>>
>>2215710
Any discourse on terrorism that uses the phrase "western civilization" can probably be discarded as Neocon propaganda
>>
>>2215764
Who are you arguing with?
>>
>>2215773
I hear it from both left wing and right wing news source. A lot of lefty news talk about Trump being adverse to Western values and what not.
>>
>>2215764
Because the only pan-europeons in Europe are leftist.
>>
File: 9223_3136489i.jpg (143KB, 693x462px) Image search: [Google]
9223_3136489i.jpg
143KB, 693x462px
>>2215768
Sure. Whatever you say.
>>
>>2215786
>architecture is civilization
*sigh* sometimes I think people don't realize how retarded they sound.
>>
>>2215772
The only major Christian sect that really supported Trump were Evangelicals, and that was more due to the fact Trump was a Republican and wasn't Hillary. Evangelicalism doesn't even have a foothold in Europe. In fact, a number of Christians sects were outright hostile to Trump including the Pope, aka the leader of the largest Christian sect in Europe.
>>
>>2215685

I've sometimes heard it used to describe Western Civilization having to combat Russia.

We have to save western civilization from Putin.
>>
>>2215805
http://fortune.com/2016/11/09/donald-trump-election-2016-catholic-vote/
>>
>>2215811
Europe is not the American microcosm.
>>
File: 1429026360756.png (117KB, 664x599px) Image search: [Google]
1429026360756.png
117KB, 664x599px
>abstract definitions don't affect the cultures that use them
>>
>>2215815
Who said it was? I used Trump as one example of Christians uniting across sect lines to defeat a common foe (Hillary Clinton) and you erroneously claimed the opposite happened.
>>
>>2215827
>Christians uniting

Truly the globalists have won.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>>2215607
>posts an icon of western civilization used as an analogy for the rural English people by a western author as a reaction image reacting to the non-existance of western civilization.
WEW
this
is
a
new
FUGGIN
>level
of Post ironic ironic comedy :D
>>
>>2215827
I didn't claim the opposite happened, I merely pointed that american notions of what is what when it comes to religion and politics are often different from european ones. It was a misunderstanding.
>>
File: western civilization.gif (230KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
western civilization.gif
230KB, 1280x1024px
'Western' is just code-name for 'French'.
>>
>>2215843
>icon of western civilization

What?
>>
File: order-of-the-golden-cricket.jpg (96KB, 730x500px) Image search: [Google]
order-of-the-golden-cricket.jpg
96KB, 730x500px
>>2215887
Tolkien specifically created the Hobbit and later the LOTR series as a supplement for the lacking native European mythology and history due to the cleansing of it by Christianity (no im not a varg fag, but it is true). The hobbit is basically a giant fantasy story of European mythology made real - even the creation theory "the silmarillion" took elements of the christian religion and incorporated bits and pieces of European folk beliefs in order to craft a "pure" Europe.

In the sense that the works of Tolkien are avatars of the lost history of Europe outside of influence of other nations/cultures/religions, "Frodo" can easily be argued to be the "Icon" or mascot of the purest form of "Europe"

Yes Ive spent too much time reading dumb fantasy books but this inst my opinion. there are some really good documentarys out there that state the same points made by experts in English and history.

Regardless-
its really silly to say european "western" culture doesnt exist and use a reaction image of a MAJOR PART of western culture.
>>
>>2215612
#rekt
>>
>>2215677
No, it's called taking a fucking sociology class you limp wristed queef eater.
>>
>>2215731
Uhhh every sect of Christianity is unilaterally seeing fewer believers and less followers than at any other time in "western civilization".
>>
>>2215984
>sociology
kys
>>
>>2215772
Notice how more than half of all registered American voters chose Hilary?
>>
>>2215660
>objectively worse
>>>>/v/
>>
>>2215786
This literally looks a place that could easily be in Scandinavia but with different lighting from the sun, what's your fucking point?
>>
>>2215999
Are you serious right now? Obviously you aren't, because that would be insanely retarded.

A sociologist definitely didn't create the best definition we have for "state" in any sense that underlies almost all modern political thought or anything...
>>
>>2215869
I don't necessarily disagree, but I would be interested in hearing your reasoning
>>
>>2215962
>native European mythology

Native ENGLISH mythology.

Stop lumping everybody together, no way in hell would Tolkien have wanted Frodo to represent the french.

Actually, this 'western civilization' smacks a bit of 'we wuz'ism. It lets people claim the accomplishments of other people by fabricating some pan-european identity.
>>
>>2216061
t.sociology major
>>
>>2215777
his imaginary strawman foe that he shall hang on the day of the rope.
>>
>>2216061
>"state"
Spooky
>>
File: Luthien dancing in the forest.jpg (468KB, 827x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Luthien dancing in the forest.jpg
468KB, 827x1300px
>>2215962
>LoTR
>anything to do with the fucking french or spanish.
Tolkien got so buttfrustrated that the most english fairy tale was that of fucking arthur that he memed up one of the most beautiful fantasy universes ever written through the power of autism.
>>
>>2216085
Are you really ignorant enough to believe western civilization is we wuz tier? A concept which began with European Christendom, switched over to the values of the Early modern era, fought commies during the Cold War and now represents a cultural sphere is very real.
>>
>>2216123
>European Christendom

Christendom isn't Europe. Its just as much African and Latin American and do you even know how many Arab Christians there are?

Christendom, is anything, internationalist. Its religious globalism.
>>
>>2216133
That's why I distinguished the European Christendom. I thought it was obvious I meant the one from the Middle Ages. Did you forget we're a history board?
>>
Western civilisation is a polite term for White civilisation.
>>
>>2216138
>the one from the Middle Ages. Did you forget we're a history board?

Then surely you would know Christianity existed all throughout the middle-east and North Africa all the way down to the christian kingdom of Ethiopia.
>>
>>2216152
Are you ignoring the "European" distinction I specifically made for any reason besides a half-baked point about Christianity existing outside of Europe during the Middle ages? Like that point takes away the historical concept of European Christendom which was the beginning of a shared Western civilization?
>>
>>2216152
and eastward to China, don't forget.
>>
>>2216160
what european distinction?
Do the parts of europe like greece that followed a different creed of christianity not constitute in your definition of western civilization?
>>
>>2215612
fpbp
>>
>>2216202
This lady right here.
>>
>>2215736
lol, you conflated Christendom with practicing Christianity, so I will correct your assertion with the actual account: Christian practice was diminished by modern society not international war.
>>
>>2215805
the rust belt is Catholic and supported Trump

face it, trump had broad support across several regions excluding los angeles and new york city
>>
>>2216217

I was commenting on Christendom though, not christian practice.
>>
>>2216226
which is a lie since you literally claimed Christendom would hypothetically include Africa
>>
>>2216213
>that map.

Great to know that Britain isn't apart of western civilization.
>>
>>2216238
>Doesn't understand artistic map drawn in 14th century
kys faggit.
>>
>>2216237

It would, the christian part of Africa, that is.

I suspect you don't know what Christendom is.
>>
>>2216202
What's your argument? That civilizations don't exist? That Western civilization doesn't exist? If Western civilization doesn't exist but others do I'm curious as to your reasoning why. If no civilizations exist but enough believe they do to give it substance doesn't that make your point moot?
>>
>>2216238
Glad you understand
>>
>>2216245
your implication was that Christendom was traditional European Christendom when you suggested it was destroyed by inter European war. You got caught bullshitting.
>>
>>2216202
https://www.christianhistoryinstitute.org/magazine/article/charlemagne-idea-of-christendom/
You might need this. Trying to shoehorn Congids into Christendom isn't going to fly.
>>
Only Americans are still obssessed with meaningless abstractions like "Western civilization"
>>
>>2216251
>your implication was that Christendom was traditional European Christendom

Yeah OK, I guess I meant Christendom under different contexts. Christendom including all Christians today would involve Africa, most defiantly.

Christendom as a political entity, however, did die in Europe because of war. The idea that the Pope or a protestant church being the leader of Christian Europe was no more.
>>
>>2216095
>>2216115
Wrong again fucko. Try economics. His name is Max Weber
>>
>>2216256
>christianity belongs to EUROPE AND EUROPE ONLY
Good to know that things like the syrian church or esoteric eastern sects aren't real christianity because they aren't european in nature.
>>
>>2215612
We can begin defining Western civilization by observing what it isn't. Lets start with things everyone within reason can agree isn't Western Civilization.

The Sinosphere = Not Western civilization
Southeast Asia = Not Western civilization
Pre-European conquest Australia and Oceania (aboriginal Australia and indigenous Oceania) = not Western civilization
The Hindustan/Indian sphere = Not Western Civilsational
Pre-European conquest Americas = Not Western civilization.
Sub-Saharan Africa pre-European conquest = Not western Civilization
>>
>>2216289
>Putting words in my mouth
Christendom as a concept was developed in Europe. If your too buttblasted to acknowledge this historic reality that's your problem.
>>
>>2215620
>European Christendom

Its dead, get over it.
>>
>>2216313
>Christendom as a concept was developed in Europe

A concept created in europe to include all christians globally in the same community.

Or at least just the Catholics. Depending on how you want to define it, but they exist all over the world too. It is by far NOT a Europe only idea, it is in fact specifically worldwide ideological concept.

If intelligent aliens exist, the Catholic church said they would try to convert them to Christianity. Thus Christendom would hypothetically include alien planets.
>>
>>2216326
> include all christians globally
Spoiler alert: it wouldn't be european community.
>>
>>2215809
But Russia is part of western civilization...
>>
>>2215710
So what? I guess terrorists attacking india are attacking western civilization too by that logic.
>>
>>2216352

India was part of the British empire and is today a part of the commonwealth.

So yeah, I guess India is a part of Western Civilization.
>>
>>2215620
OP is a faggot, but this is just straight up cringe
>>
>>2215620
>I want to defeat the globalists
>by uniting europe under MY common banner.
>>
>>2216407
Yeah! We're gonna defeat globalism by uniting the world!
>>
>>2215728
Nice argument, totally convinced me that Christianity is not an antiquated belief
>>
File: IMG_1369.jpg (32KB, 327x374px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1369.jpg
32KB, 327x374px
>>2216352
It's heard in regards to terrorist attacks in Western nations.
>>
File: pope-francis-1[1].jpg (36KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
pope-francis-1[1].jpg
36KB, 620x465px
>>2215620

>European Christendom uniting

The muslims will stand in queues for that feet kissing.
>>
>>2216389

No we are not. In fact unlike the abstract notion of """"western"""'' civ derived from more concrete Greek and Roman civs, we actually have our own civ that has managed to exist to this day.

Unlike the ""'western""" civ which is just the pol correct way of saying white Christian way of life, Indian civ actually gave birth to various major religions and in turn influenced by it
>>
File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>2216475
And yet they never learned how to poo in a loo...
>>
>>2216466
terrorists attack non western countries too you mong.
Painting a clash of civilizations where none exists is fucking bullshit.
An iranian will be justifiably butthurt if you try and paint his country as part of the "islamic Other" against "western civilization".
>>
>>2216488
Are you too retarded to contextualize post? In American news, when terrorist attacks occur in western nations they talk about a clash of civilizations between Western and Islamic.

The world does revolve around poo land.
>>
>>2216478
Seeing as 52% of the country poos in the loo, its a WIP.
>>
>>2216344
"No"
>>
>>2216493
yes, which is something specific to america.
A people with no culture of their own who make up bullshit about islam and the west being enemies when less than a generation ago they were steadfast allies against the communists.
>>
File: Nunc et in aeternum.png (432KB, 749x550px) Image search: [Google]
Nunc et in aeternum.png
432KB, 749x550px
>>2215607
>
>>
>>2216501
>A people with no culture of their own who make up bullshit about islam and the west being enemies when less than a generation ago they were steadfast allies against the communists.
this meme again
>>
>>2216495
Only 52% is abo tier. All the Aryans must have be deluded with too many shitskins.
>>
File: Are you serious.gif (2MB, 264x200px) Image search: [Google]
Are you serious.gif
2MB, 264x200px
>>2215626
>>
>>2216511
Oh please.
A US president invited a bunch of goatfuckers into the whitehouse and compared them to America's founding fathers.
The center of wahabism is a staunch american ally.
>>
>>2216407
>>I want to defeat the globalists
>>by uniting europe under MY common banner.

It's a common motive. The goal was always jealousy over not being top of the new food chain. Globalism is a world where rich investors and educated management professionals are at the top and will stay at the top, whereas White Christendom (or Fundamentalist Islamism for that matter) is a way for those who will never stand among globalists to conceive of a world where they're back on top based on who they are and what they believe. Low barrier to enter, but lofty goals.
>>
File: Lawrence.jpg (137KB, 999x768px) Image search: [Google]
Lawrence.jpg
137KB, 999x768px
>>2216520
Hmm
>>
>>2216520
Islam is not a monolithic entity, and the US definitely did not view all islamic states as allies, witness Iran.
>>
>>2216530
And yet for half the cold war Iran was just as allied to america as Israel was, while egypt was the big bad soviet toy on the block.
>>2216527
and what does a speed junkie have to do with the cold war?
>>
File: Lawrence.gif (268KB, 500x248px) Image search: [Google]
Lawrence.gif
268KB, 500x248px
>>2216535
Quite a bit apparently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Revolt
>>
>>2216538
>helps the durka durkas come into power to end ottoman rule.
>fast forward 100 years and now islam and the west were apparently fighting le LOTR style epic conflict for centuries like >>2216506 believe while the saudi royalty and princelings continue to party in the west and are best allies.
>>
File: Indian Culture.png (307KB, 449x300px) Image search: [Google]
Indian Culture.png
307KB, 449x300px
>>2216501
>Indian """"culture"""" (that isn't mud btw)
>>
File: downhill beaer.png (73KB, 1092x1090px) Image search: [Google]
downhill beaer.png
73KB, 1092x1090px
>>2216547
here we go with the /int/ posting again.
>>
File: Blonde.gif (21KB, 111x150px) Image search: [Google]
Blonde.gif
21KB, 111x150px
>>2216544
You assume the political class reflects the genuine beliefs of the folk.
>>
>>2216555
The political class is generally more exposed to the outer world and is important for a state to function.
If people listened to the "will of the folk" we would still be stuck in pre industrial times trying to go back in time to a mythical golden age.
>>
File: Proofs.jpg (51KB, 576x463px) Image search: [Google]
Proofs.jpg
51KB, 576x463px
>>2216562
>>
>>2216564
Nazi germany is a good example because in appealing to the 'volkische' they ended up destroying hundreds of years of german history. Ended the legacy of the prussian military and turned berlin into a pile of rubble.
>>
>>2216598
>Germany did that
>And not the allied bombs
KYS
>>
File: 160.gif (15KB, 295x221px) Image search: [Google]
160.gif
15KB, 295x221px
>>2215620
>European Christendom
Ah yes, that European Christendom thing, we all know how it's united and that there's a single thing in Christianity in Europe worthy of calling "European Christendom".

This post is sarcastic.
>>
>>2216601
>start a war for german children and with the tacit backing of german people.
>end up being destroyed because you are a rabid dog that needs to be put down.
Start shit, get hit my volkisch friend :^)
>>
>>2216598
Well, say what you will but they had to bomb their own radiostation among other things to convince the population of war as they started kinda unwilling to another ww.
The populus mostly wants representation/ego boost, getting fed and a job before much else.
>>
>>2216624
So if the will of the people is largely finding a stable meal and a roof over their head why do the same people criticize politicians for making sure that the economic conditions are good enough for that to happen organically?
>>
>>2216635
Also representation for the ego as I said.
Enough posturing that you feel stronk and relevant but not that much that you can say goodbye to your sons for the draft on a foreign front.

Young males generally like war if they have no other perspective though.
>>
File: Who could it be?.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Who could it be?.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>2216608
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 495x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 495x470px
>>2215607
If "Western" civilization is from the West, in places like the U.S., Europe, etc, and Eastern is places like Asia, then where the fuck does that leave Africa?
>>
>>2217078
the niggersphere of irrelevency same with south america
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.