[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"_____ the Great"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Alexander the Pretty Good.jpg (249KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Alexander the Pretty Good.jpg
249KB, 1200x1200px
How long did it take until they started calling Alexander "Alexander the Great"? How long does it take for other "Great"s to be titled thus?

Will we ever see another Great? Or has it fallen out.
>>
He took the title after he became the king of Persia. It was an epithet all Persian kings had, even Darius III, kind of like their version of Augustus.
>>
>>2211179
>tfw Trump is exactly what got me thinking about making this thread
>>
>>2211179
>>2211196
>Emperor Trump the Great
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 669x639px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 669x639px
>>2211179
>>
File: American Renaissance.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
American Renaissance.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>2211228
>>
Alexander III of Macedon probably acquired it after his death, probably by the Romans, first mention was the Mostellaria Act III by Roman playwright Plautus (c. 254 – 184 BC)
https://www.jstor.org/stable/288777?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Albert of Cologne got it within his lifetime.
[He acquired the honorific ‘the Great’ during his own lifetime by virtue of his enormous appetite for learning and the sheer size of his output]
Hannam, James. God's Philosophers: How the Medieval World Laid the Foundations of Modern Science. London: Icon, 2009. Print.

Catherine II of Russia was offered "the great" by the legislative assembly in 1767 and again 1780 and both times she declined, people took to calling her "the great" anyway.
Dixon, Simon. Catherine the Great. New York: Ecco, 2009. Print.

etc etc
>>
>>2211160
Holy shit... I don't why reading this made me laugh so hard but there's something adorably genuine and autistic about it.
>>
>>2211160
So what you're saying is
>Alexander "the" Great
>>
>>2211557
You sound like an easily amused, meme-obsessed simpleton.
>>
>>2211557

What's wrong with it?

It seems pretty anachronistic now, but the honorific could still be conceivably used by someone today, or posthumously awarded.

If I had to put my money on who might do this first? Probably an African warlord, and a Pope. Respectively.
>>
>>2212188
You sound like a bitter, jaded autist incapable of having fun.
>>
Arabs still call some dudes "the great"
>>
>>2212199

careful anon, the more you say autist on the web, the likelier it is your first child will have autism
>>
>>2212310
Jokes on you I'm infertile.
>>
>>2212324
Thank God
>>
>have a kid
>see thread
>come up with cool name
>firstname magnus anonson
My wife and I haven't decided on the first name yet, she wants give a meme name like Pepe/Wojack while I want to name him after my favorite historian Lindybeige
>>
>>2211160
Maybe his nect successor to cone out of skopje will be a great. Revitalise fyr macedonia into the great influential empire it once was
>>
>>2212367
btfo holy shit
>>
>>2211343
>alexander was first called the great by romans
Nope, the successor kingdoms regarded him as such the moment he died.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.