[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moralists and Is-Ought Conflation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

> be me
> notice the world is basically a savage sack of shit in which might makes right and assholes and evil people win
> publish my findings in a neutral, judgement-free manner
> all sorts of puritans and/or Christian revivalists start attacking me and calling me atheist/Satanist/edgelord and begging me to be burnt at stake/ excommunicated/ beheaded etc etc.
> wtf I was just DESCRIBING the world, not making a judgement on how it SHOULD be
> mfw

How should is-ought conflation be addressed? This annoying mosquito has afflicted everyone from the likes of Hobbes to Darwin.

What are the worst instances of is-ought conflation you've ever encountered?
>>
I think Machiavelli would be a classic example. His commentary, "The Prince" is taken either as his view on how politics should be, or as satire, when it was more probably just commentary on the state of the region's politics.
>>
>>2209935
>I was just DESCRIBING the world,

Not really. 'You' were deducing from dust principles about the assumed nature of humanity the, or a, logical resolution to the conflict which was theoretically inevitable given those assumptions

'You' may have been correct, or largely correct, in your assumptions, but that does not mean 'you' were, nor even understood 'yourself' to be, describing things 'as they are'.
>>
>>2209980

dust=first

etc.
>>
It is also preposterous to suppose that 'you' were not making a judgment claim about the desirability of a certain socio-political arrangement when the very motivation for 'your' work was the dissolution if the social order in 'your' native country into civil war and anarchy.
>>
>>2209935

Description and prescription are the same thing. The way things 'ought' to be is just a function of their design, or the role they play in the world. To say that "a mother looks after her children" is prescriptive, but is also description, for instance.
>>
>>2210004
>To say that "a mother looks after her children" is prescriptive, but is also description
No, because not all mothers look after their children.
Some species don't do that.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.