[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

John Rawls's argument of the Veil of ignorance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: berlin wall of ignorance.jpg (88KB, 1052x748px) Image search: [Google]
berlin wall of ignorance.jpg
88KB, 1052x748px
The "veil of ignorance" is a method of determining the morality of political issues proposed in 1971 by American philosopher John Rawls in his "original position" political philosophy. It is based upon the following thought experiment:
>people making political decisions imagine that they know nothing about the particular talents, abilities, tastes, social class, and positions they will have within a social order. >when such parties are selecting the principles for distribution of rights, positions, and resources in the society in which they will live, this "veil of ignorance" prevents them from knowing who will receive a given distribution of rights, positions, and resources in that society
>for example, for a proposed society in which 50% of the population is kept in slavery, it follows that on entering the new society there is a 50% likelihood that the participant would be a slave.
>the idea is that parties subject to the veil of ignorance will make choices based upon moral considerations, since they will not be able to make choices based on their own self- or class-interest.

How do we implement a similar system, so that those making rules do so without knowing if they will gain or suffer from it, and thus only make good, just rules?
>>
>>2208783
the veil of ignorance is a thought experiment, it can't actually be implemented in reality.
>>
>>2208793
I don't actually want us to vote on laws from the womb, I want the principles of this idea implemented in some way.

Law makers and their families now being able to own businesses and being provided a good life standard so they don't have to work or engage in trade, for example.
>>
Homeboy, Rawls does you one better and actually gives you the two principles of justice that one in the original position will arrive at from behind the veil of ignorance.
>>
> those making rules do so without knowing if they will gain or suffer from it
Just kill everyone who makes one and not pass any rule without killing a person responsible for passed rule. All are equal in death.
>>
>>2209088
I'd make a rule that all people must shit in other people's mouths, and all manure must be eaten, than die happy.

You need the thread of living in your unjust system, and you are removing it.
>>
File: 1455728289001.jpg (704KB, 1251x5220px) Image search: [Google]
1455728289001.jpg
704KB, 1251x5220px
>>2208783
another rationalist tries to deny hedonism with a shitty thought experiment.

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn
>>
>>2208804
>>2209080

The point being the 'veil of ignorance' thought experiment is the justification or 'ground' for the principles of justice, and not itself a principle.
>>
>>2208783
>Dude justice is blind lmao

Stupid shit.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.