[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why believe in any religion?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Fred.png (139KB, 830x334px) Image search: [Google]
Fred.png
139KB, 830x334px
I am genuinely curious. Theology and religion has become an interest of mine as of late. Some of it is even compelling, but I always have a nagging voice in the back of my head.

Why do the writings of Jesus get a legacy of apologetics whle L. Ron Hubbard and the twitter of Tila Tequila will not? Why do equally improbable metaphysics and histories of the world like Mormonism are met with dismissal while Christianity and Islam get respected?

I'm not the fedora wearer I used to be, I do feel that religion has more value and good morals within it than I used to. I just can't see any reason to believe in God, at least not a personal God. I understand believing in a deist/platonist sort of God, but one who cares a great deal about human behavior and customs just seems superstitious

I know its not cool on 4chan to talk like this, but I am genuinely asking for reasons to believe in Christianity, Islam, or any religion.
>>
There are literally zero reasons.
>>
"Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reaction. Do not fear." - Krishna (Bhagavad Gita)
>>
Some of them have nice things to bribe you with.
>>
>>2208365
Because I am human and need a superstitious belief system to function.
>>
>>2208605
But why antisex abrahamic religions tho, bro
>>
File: NOW THATS EDGY.png (322KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
NOW THATS EDGY.png
322KB, 420x420px
>>2208433
>>
File: 1484086993690-his.jpg (160KB, 566x677px) Image search: [Google]
1484086993690-his.jpg
160KB, 566x677px
>>2208629
Umm, no?
>>
>>2208629
As I said earlier, I know its not cool on 4chan. I know 4chan just needs to oppose the millennial consensus on the internet, but that doesn't mean it is correct to do so in every instance.
>>
>>2208643
>implying the trend of millenials isn't to believe in God
Lel
>>
>>2208649
No, trend of millenials is caring about nothing, praising knowingness instead of actual knowledge and much of other shit.
>>
>>2208649
I was focusing on internet culture, like reddit and tumblr and so on. Even when looking at millennials in general, like those under 30, atheism is more popular than any generation before.
>>
>>2208656
Just because you're on 4chan doesn't mean you aren't part of the millenial culture. Grow up and stop wanting separations.

God is real
>>
>>2208671
We are part of it, we're the resistance to it. A very vocal, but still very small, minority.
>>
>>2208365
Never mind OP, the importance of religion has vaned much in the western society for a reason and it will continue to do so.
Buy a mac if you need to fill the void and have a community.
>>
>>2208680
>buy a mac

heresy
>>
>>2208365
Religion only survives through forceful conversion (usually from birth). The number of people who willingly convert is nowhere near high enough to sustain it. You live in an age where the average parent puts less value on enforcing traditions, where collective knowledge is just a click away, where secularism thrives in the west, where fundamentalists are widely seen as laughable at best and dangerous at worst.

Religion serves no purpose in western life, except as a way to inject artificial meaning into an otherwise meaningless life, as a quick way to feel a sense of belonging with your fellow human beings. If reason is what you're looking for, you won't find it.
>>
File: sin.jpg (99KB, 935x1024px) Image search: [Google]
sin.jpg
99KB, 935x1024px
>>2209712
What you are describing is not unique to religion. Children usually adopt the ideology of their parents, including atheism. This generally means that the ideology best at producing children is the one that will spread the fastest. Thus, Islam is spreading the quickest, Christianity is spreading at a moderate speed, and atheism is very slowly on the decline
>>
>>2208624
Monotheism is easier to be dogmatic with.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.