[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the least historically interesting US state?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 15

File: 1446677138_Find_the_US_States.png (78KB, 920x569px) Image search: [Google]
1446677138_Find_the_US_States.png
78KB, 920x569px
What is the least historically interesting US state?
>>
>>2200904
South Dakota?

t. former South Dakotan
>>
Wisconsin
t. Wisconsin
>>
Go to the middle and head north, it gets more and more irrelevant.
>>
Idaho
>>
Montana
>>
Wyoming

Literally who: the state
>>
Honestly most of the ones that don't touch the pacific or weren't part of the "wild west" are all pretty equally boring
>>
>>2200917
Wisconsin
>Black Hawk War
>Timber barons
>Frank Lloyd Wright
>Aztalan/ancient Indian mound builders
>Charles Langlade

Nice false flag, minnesota.
>>
>>2200909
At least South Dakota has tribez and shiet
>>
>>2200904
All of them because indians did nothing of worth and have no history besides HUNTING BUFFALO and EATING PILGRIM MEAT.
>>
>>2200904
From a British standpoint they're all fucking boring
>>
Delaware
>>
West Virginia
>>
>>2200904

We have to focus on the mountain time - rockies states because they were added to the union almost as afterthoughts, and they have far and away the lowest densities, and are the least eventful places in the union. this is part of their charm of course.

Oklahoma is marginally interesting in that it was the destination of a large forced indian removal, and was also the site of the oklahoma city bombings, a fairly important terrorist event.

Even Wyoming is marginally interesting for the sheer dearth of people, and also due to early women's suffrage (amazingly). Wyoming is also the birthplace of abstract painter Jackson Pollock, and former vice president Dick Cheney. All this isn't much, but it's something.

South Dakota has the Sioux, the Mount Rushmore meme (of course), and is now host to some of the most extremely poor counties in the Union (indian reservations). This holds some historical interest.

Utah has mormons, so that's rather important.

I say that the real answer is something like Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, or maaaaybe Iowa.
>>
>>2200952

Don't forget Ed Gein, Jeffrey Dahmer, and the cheese industry. See also the monograph "Wisconsin Death Trip", comprised entirely of reproductions of strange events from around the state, as reported in a Black River Falls newspaper c. 1890.

Wisconsin is a fairly interesting state, and I say that as a Minnesotan who hates the Packers.
>>
>>2200904
Delaware, literally the only thing they're known for is posting "First" during the revolution
>>
File: fightin bob.jpg (271KB, 1100x1434px) Image search: [Google]
fightin bob.jpg
271KB, 1100x1434px
>>2201068
"Fightin" Bob LaFollette and the Wisconsin P/progressives in the 1920's sometimes get coverage in US History classes/textbooks

t. History Student-Teacher
>>
>>2200904
Existence
>>
File: 1428024649494.jpg (47KB, 354x367px) Image search: [Google]
1428024649494.jpg
47KB, 354x367px
>>2201124
Yeah, but I feel like that's probably gotta be big enough alone to put them above at least some of the other contenders for last.
>>
>>2200904
California. Literally nothing of significance has ever happened here.
>>
Idaho Wyoming and Montana were pretty important for unions back in the day. Wyoming also has Yellowstone which is a plus in my eyes. I want to say nevada but we have the lakemead/boulder damn and the test site. Plus the Donner party lol
Honestly I'd have to say Iowa.
>>
>>2201166
I forgot nevada is also the gold standard of gerrymandering.
>>
>>2200904
Delaware. It's the size of a city and doesn't even have an airport. Quickly, how much do you know about Delaware?
>>
>>2201148
I say otherwise because they have been a state literally the longest and have jack all to show for it.
>>
>>2201181
Smells like a box factory. You drive through it to get to more interesting states.
>>
File: Delaware.jpg (196KB, 1691x797px) Image search: [Google]
Delaware.jpg
196KB, 1691x797px
>>2201186
Wow... ya know I really doubted the Delaware haters in this thread, and I'm not saying that a Wikipedia search has totally convinced me, but this really don't look good for the first state in my opinion.
>>
>>2201181
Some good beaches in Delaware.
>>
>>2201153
While California is the most economically relevant I can't really think of anything historically important that happened there other than the '49 gold rush. I'm not counting memeshit like Hollywood.
>>
>>2201233
That's because you don't live 50 years in the future, where what's been happening in Silicon Valley the last few decades is seen as one of the most momentous moments in US history.

Also, if you're going to judge historical events, you have to at least consider the amount of time history has even existed in a given place. It's apples and oranges comparing California and New York simply because of age.
>>
Indiana
>>
>>2201233
San Francisco earthquake
Oakie migration
Independent rebellion against Mexico
Missions
60s counter culture
Japanese internment camps
>>
>>2201247
Wellfrankly all the west coast states are literal whos when it comes to history compared to the juggernauts on the east coast or even Texas, Louisiana or Arizona.
>>
>>2200909
Deadwood
>>
>>2201258
>Okie migration
Utterly irrelevant, only norable because Steinbeck wrote a book about it.
>>
>>2200904
texas
>>
>>2201258
Don't forget Chinese Exclusionary acts
>>
>>2201181
First state
>>
>>2200952
Who saved the Union?
>>
>>2201720
Those damned black hatted fellows!
>>
Rhode Island desu
>>
Washington State
>>
>>2200904
The ones right of the Square ones.

They look like silly American Baltics
>>
Oklahoma

t. Okie

Also because no one has mentioned it yet. Oklahoma is so obscure it doesn't even come up in "most obscure states" lists.
>>
>>2202198
Spot the Oregonian
>>
>>2201720
>taking credit for the achievement of proud Maine, Michigan, and Ohio boys
Shameful, truly shameful
>>
>>2201138
deep
>>
Unironicaly Hawaii. They have achieved nothing as a people or as a state.

>Get conquered by white man
>refuse to adapt to fair, balanced, representative democracy
>refuse to adapt to superior Western cultural norms and work ethic
>be hopelessly unhealthy, obese, diabetic as fuck
>be utterly worthless as a staging area in WW2
>get monopolized by ethnic Japanese civic, political, and business leaders
>develop huge as fuck welfare state
>blame white man for poverty and obesity
>petition for independence despite being the laziest cultural group in the United States
>complain about high price of living while repeatedly voting in extreme leftist Democrats
>be openly racist towards tourists, the driving force of your economy

Fucking pineappleniggers
>Source: travelled to Hawaii for over 10 years as a health care rep.
>>
>>2200904
Hawaii. Some volcanos out in the pacific previously inhabited by savages and bombed once by japs.
>>
>>2201181
>Delawarean
AMA
>>
>>2201060
>North Dakota
Oil boom
>Kansas
Bleeding Kansas
>>
>>2201181
Delaware has two airports.
>>
>>2202247
"Colonel Colvill and those eight companies of the First Minnesota are entitled to rank as the saviors of their country."

t. Calvin Coolidge
>>
>>2200904
Wyoming, Iowa, or Nebraska
>>
Illinois
>muh Land of Lincoln
That's literally it.
>>
>>2202280
Hawaii is a shithole all things considered
>>
>>2201181

Delaware was the very first state to ratify the US constitution, is among the original 13, is known for being a place where legal fictions go to incorporate, and is home to Du Pont last I checked. Delaware is in the immediate vicinity of Pennsylvania, Virginia and D.C. and thus has automatic historical importance by mere osmosis alone.

True, Delaware is a Literally Who, but it's in the part of the country that has been historically relevant. Wyoming and Idaho are not.

>>2201233

You don't get to discount the history that you don't like in order to make your point. The history of hollywood is yet a history that has been terribly important to world culture over the past century, and no thinking person can gainsay this, however distasteful they (you) may reasonably find the reality to be.
>>
>>2202797
Hollywood is garbage barely affecting anything, it's just fucking entertainment
>>
File: 1483989264523.png (63KB, 920x569px) Image search: [Google]
1483989264523.png
63KB, 920x569px
>>2200904
Paler hue = less interesting/relevant/noteworthy
>>
File: kej.jpg (47KB, 620x477px) Image search: [Google]
kej.jpg
47KB, 620x477px
>>2201193

DAMN YOU!

A BOX!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>2202800
>Hollywood barely affecting anything
lol Are you a Southern or citizen of Worst Coast aka East?
>>
>>2202826
Arizona.
>>
>>2200904
Idaho. I forget it exists 90% of the time.
>>
Fucking Delaware.
>>
>>2202800

On the contrary, repetition of memes and metaphors shape thought in culture. Hollywood memes are not innocuous garbage that fail to influence "real" culture of race, nationality, marxism, etc. They through their brute force of repetition and volume necessarily inflict themselves upon, and in so doing alter thought, this basic idea of cultural manipulation being intensified these days in attempting to influence political opinion whether by shilling on this website, say, or elsewhere.

Nor is it valid for you to reply "oh huh tell me an anecdote of a movie in real culture." Apollo astronauts are on record as having cracked a joke about the monolith during a flyby, as one example. People reach out to narratives to make sense of the world, and hollywood is a major font of those ideas and metaphors, reflected back either in occasionally a good movie, or more often garbage. The real point being that much as you would like to dismiss its reach (as as right as that wish of yours might be), you simply can't and be taken seriously.
>>
File: alaska.png (86KB, 1600x1317px) Image search: [Google]
alaska.png
86KB, 1600x1317px
>>2202280
could be worse, at least Hawaii is a nice enough place to stay for a while.
>>
>>2202758

yeah if we're not counting fucking CHICAGO you prat
>>
>>2202215
By that logic, the *REDACTED* state is most obscure.
>>
>>2202812
>Virginia not deep blue
>>
>>2202832
Even worse. If you say Hollywood has/had no power then you're quite ignorant. Why do you think modern liberalism gain strength so quickly over the years?
>>
>>2202857

I have never been to either place and I would much rather spend an extended period of time in Alaska than in Hawaii.
>>
>>2202871
Because communist infiltration of the education system.
>>
>>2200909
didnt they film 'little house on the prairie' there?
>>
>>2202862
Chicago history?
>mug gangsters
>A FUCKING FIRE
>>
>>2202871

This is a good post, since you're supporting and dovetailing my other agument. We're ganging up on this guy to BTFO of him now.
>>
>>2202879

You're digging yourself even deeper into the hole that the other good anon laid for you, because now you are obliged to pretend that the commies are somehow meaningfully separate from leftist hollywood, etc.

When of course experience has shown that it is all of it now a Cathedral, to use a genuinely useful alt-right metaphor, which encompasses the proper political leftist class (which includes party democrats and literal communists influencing local policy alike), the entertainment industry, and the mainstream journalism and news media. These three pillars collude and conspire for leftist goals, and the evidence of this is so insuperable and overwhelming, especially by way of object-lesson of the past year's events, that to deny it is to again prove that you do not understand what you are talking about. Your project is necessarily a failed reductionism of some particular "communists" away from Hollywood...

/which is rendered most stupid of all by the fact that there were literal communisty party members working infamously in Hollywood about sixty years ago, which everyone and above all you should know/. God damn you're an idiot.
>>
>>2202903
Nigger I'm not reading that verbal diarrhea, break it down into a simple set of points or continue getting ignored.
>>
>>2201041
Ha, no. Only state to secede successfully from another state. Location of last battle of revolutionary war. Chuck Yeager first man to break sound barrier. Jerry West literally the NBA logo.
>>
New Hampshire. There is only one thing I know about New Hampshire; it's Vermont's slightly more retarded cousin. There is absolutely nothing else worthy of note about the state, because I don't think you can get maple syrup from it the way it comes from Vermont.
>>
>>2202905

Abdication of argument through inability to understand and express unwillingness to read, much less attempt to refute ( because you can't) calmly stated and relatively straightforward language. I win the argument, together with the other anon >>2202871 (who is not me) who correctly sniffed your bullshit and helped call you out.
>>
>>2202879
>>
>>2202926
tl;dr
>>
>>2202857
Alaska is actually nice though?
>>
Nevada, unless you like folk history and the idea of a desert jewel.

t. Nevadan
>>
>>2202903
>own that it is all of it now a Cathedral, to use a genuinely useful alt-right metaphor,
This the Cathedral and the Bazaar or is it a metaphor I haven't heard before?
>>
>>2202939
Yeah if -30 Celsius and no sunlight and everything expensive as shit is your idea of nice.
>>
>>2202971
I'm actually an ice vampire so yes.
>>
>>2202982
Nice to meet you mr. Vampire I'm a Cuckold.
>>
>>2201018

Only took 13 of them to whip your ass boy
>>
File: alaska 2.jpg (466KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alaska 2.jpg
466KB, 1600x1200px
>>2202971
Its real pretty though, and probably way cheaper than Hawaii.
>>
Washington state. Literally nothing here but faggots in the west and red necks in the east.
>>
>>2203438
And injuns ripping off both in the middle.
>>
I grew up in Nebraska, so I'd say one of the Dakotas.
>>
>>2202857
Idk Alaska's an American territory that was Russia and is right by Russia, tons of native history (kinda), culture, food, gorgeous outdoors, pretty nice state.
>>
>>2200904
Maine obviously. The only reason it exists is pre-civil war electoral balance.
>>
Arizona seems pretty pointless.
>>
Got to be Wyoming. Not even the most relevant rectangular state, and there's only two of them.
>>
>>2203477
AZ is great if you like deserts, scorpions, militias, and firearms.
>>
>>2202881
meatpacking industry was pretty much what made cowboys happen too

it's a joint credit with Texas but still
>>
>>2203009
France and Spain weren't in the Union
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 371x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 371x280px
To all of you saying Delaware:
Wilmington was once home to the Capital of New Sweden, the Swedish (Duh) colony.

t. Pennsylvanian
(We're still better than you though)
>>
I wanted to say Wyoming or Montana, but then I remembered that they find alot of dinosaur fossils there which is interesting.

Maybe one of the Dakotas?
>>
>>2203438
And fat neckbeard losers on 4chan, apparently.
>>
>>2201181
Delaware is fucking legendary in international tax law due to their bermuda-tier laws
>>
>>2202918
Any original 13 colony state cannot be one of the most historically irrelevant states.
>>
File: 1483718152940.png (182KB, 992x1856px) Image search: [Google]
1483718152940.png
182KB, 992x1856px
>>2200952
>>
>>2201252
Seconding this.
t. Indiana

>>2202956
No, it's Mencius Moldbug's concept, which is pretty integral to the Neoreactionary movement.
>>
Virginia.
>>
>>2202906
What is Kentucky?
What is Maine?

>>2200904
Weird question OP. Everything past the Mississippi River until you hit the west coast is pretty uninteresting except for Texas and maybe Louisiana.

Most interesting state historically is tied between Pennsylvania and Virginia. They are basically the father and mother of all other states and maybe even the source for the Democat/Republican divide in American politics despite Jackson and Lincoln both being born in other states. Philadelphia was the first major American city and Virginia was the first major rural power in America.
>>
>>2201031
FUCK OFF
>>
Idaho
>>
>>2200934
Dick Cheney?
>>
>>2201258
Manifest destiny
>>
>>2202280
You forgot terrible architecture.
>>
>>2202947
Las Vegas is pretty culturally significant as an icon.
>>
>>2204416
>I AM SILLY
>>
North Carolina, my home state, isn't that interesting historically.
>>
>>2200904
Nebraska
Famous for: corn

at least Kansas has "bleeding Kansas"
>>
>>2200934
yellowstone, grand tetons, jackson hole

get bent
>>
>>2201031
first state bitch
>>
>>2200934
t. Colorado
>>
Arkansas
>>
In no particular order:
Idaho
Iowa
Arkansas
New Hampshire
Maine
Oregon
Connecticut
>>
>>2200904
the united states

t. the world
>>
>>2205664
Kek

Because I'm sure Australia has a much deeper and richer history than we do that goes much further back
>>
>>2203637
Who doesn't?! Murica.
>>
>>2202645
302 here as well
>>
>>2204235
>Swedish colonialism
>Interesting
yawn
>>
>>2204252
>implying
5'10 132
>>
vermont
>muh green mountain boys

t. new hampshirean
>>
>>2203637
Literally all of those things are awesome.
>>
>>2204436
>Mencius Moldbug
>look him up
>wikipedia says he's a jacobite
How even does this happen.
>>
>>2201031
party on anon
>>
>>2204416
>Being so insecure you feel the need to post this
wew, as an outsider this looks sad, just face it: your both irrelevant, just because people have heard of Wisconsin more doesn't mean you guys have small dicks, your state's cool.
>>
>>2202668
Indian river inlet is great fishing
>>
>>2205979
Scrawny little bitch then.
>>
>>2202812

>talking shit about Kentucky
>>
>>2204416
The fact that this literally never happened shows what a faggot you are
>>
Why are so few people answering North Dakota? They have to pay people hundreds of thousands of dollars to come work on the oil fields because the place is so flat and boring. North Dakota's other industry is sitting around and waiting for the president to launch a nuke. They don't even have a president-shaped mountain.
>>
Being the least interesting state is itself a point of interest. Therefore, there is no least interesting state.
>>
>>2200904
Arkansas is definitely the most forgettable state, as testified to by the fact that no one has remembered it so far in this thread.
>>
>>2200909
We have Custer's last stand and Mt. Rushmore
T. South dakotan
>>
>In recognition of all the help given to him during his exile in Jersey in the 1640s, Charles II gave Carteret a large grant of land previously named New Netherland, which was promptly renamed New Jersey under his charge

As a Jerseyman, it gets my dick hard that 9 million people live in a state named after my island. absolute C U C K S
>>
>>2206884
Colbert Raid during the Revolutin
Guerilla Warfare during the Civil War
Little Rock Nine and krazy racists
The little state civil war in 1870-something
Bill "Niggers in Jail" Clinton

As a Coloradoan, why has no one said my state? Coal Miners got massacred, indians got massacred, and some cowboys shot some shit. That's like... it. And Aspen didn't want to have the Olympics one year because they were pussies.
>>
>>2201031
>>2204475
>Delaware
>First state
>Never does anything else
Coasts on its first state status
>>
>>2202215
Oklahoma was one of the hardest hit by the dust bowl and got mentioned for it in Grapes of Wrath, that's something?
>>
>>2206976
If your penis is as big as your island then you have my condolences.
>>
>>2206980
This is a random assortment of fun facts. None of them connote importance of any kind
>>
>>2200919
Bump
underrated comment
>>
>>2207012
OPs question wasn't of importance, it was of interest. If you find labor strikes and Indian removal to be interesting, Colorado is the best state ever. If you want to talk about least important state historically, Montana.
>>
>>2202877
I have been to both places for extended periods of time and would rather spend extended periods of time in Alaska than Hawaii.

>>2202939
Yes.

>>2202971
>>2203024
Very pretty, and much cheaper than Shit Island.
>>
>>2204416
The sheer autism. It's actually kind of funny.
>>
>>2204416
>I'm better than you, just look at this comic of me winning a prearranged argument
>>
>>2205657
>>2202812
>talking shit about maine

probably some buttblasted massholes still salty about how we split from them in the 1800's and went on to become a much better state than that hellhole
>>
>>2202215
Lived there 10 months. Flipping rough. Lived in plenty of places where the 18-40 crowd bail, but wew lad, OK takes the cake
>>
>>2207220
I love Maine, but there's really not a whole lot of relevant historical stuff to speak of in the state.
>>
>>2203438
Bigfoot, weed, 90s grunge, puget sound, towns named from every nationality as it was explored by spanish, russians, british, natives, french, americans,
>>
>>2207373
>mentions grunge
>doesn't mention muh hendrix
s m h
>>
File: paul allen owl.jpg (78KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
paul allen owl.jpg
78KB, 396x594px
>>2203438
We gave the world Bill Gates and Paul Allen. If it wasn't for us, you wouldn't be shitposting on this Indochina sandcastle sculpting site.

Also, part of the Manhattan project happened in Washington and Amazon, Boeing, Nintendo, and Microsoft, all made it big in Washington.
>>
>>2202877
Alaska is boring shit, best stay away.

t. Alaskan
>>
>>2205609
You're fucking wrong though

t. I took NC history two semesters ago
>>
>>2206880
No, therefore, the second least interesting state is the least interesting state, and the least interesting state the second such.
>>
>>2206980
Don't forget school kids getting massacred and all those moviegoers getting massacred.
>>
>>2205926
DELET THIS
>>
>>2204254
Thank you. Delaware is in reality super fucking relevant and has been ever since it started tailoring itself for financial services. Recent history is still history.
>>
File: image001.jpg (124KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
image001.jpg
124KB, 480x320px
>>2207609
>bill gates
>good
>>
>>2201041

Civil War history
Battle of Blair Mountain
UMW
Thread posts: 167
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.