[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kurt Wise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Kurt-Wise-TMC.jpg (65KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
Kurt-Wise-TMC.jpg
65KB, 500x419px
>Later, as a sophomore in high school, he took a newly purchased Bible and a pair of scissors and cut out every verse which could not be interpreted literally if scientific determinations on the age of the earth and evolution were true. He pursued this task with a flashlight under the covers of his bed for several months; at the end, he had removed so much material that "with the cover of the Bible taken off, I attempted to physically lift the Bible from the bed between two fingers. Yet, try as I might, and even with the benefit of intact margins throughout the pages of Scripture, I found it impossible to pick up the Bible without it being rent in two."
Could this really happen? Are there really that many verses that would be considered null and void?
>>
>>2197554
edgy
>>
>>2197554
No
>>
Read proverbs and tell me that shit is null and void.
>>
>>2197554
Finding it hard to imagine what he means by holding it between two fingers and being unable.
>>
File: Misquoting_Jesus.jpg (29KB, 259x384px) Image search: [Google]
Misquoting_Jesus.jpg
29KB, 259x384px
>>2197554
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misquoting_Jesus

We'll never actually know what the original bible said. Because no one's found it yet. Everything we have is a copy of a copy of a spelling mistake of a weird grammar rule in Greek that was lost in translation to Latin.

So he's really just criticising centuries of revisions and well meaning scribes correcting what they thought were hypocritical passages when they were supposed to be that way originally.
>>
>>2199657
>what is the Gospel of Thomas

it's not like we have no literary record from that time period
>>
>>2199657
Take your heresy somewhere else, heathen.
>>
>>2197554
So, prob the first chapter and a half, maybe whatever mentions of Adam may appear?
Umm...I'm really struggling to find anything else.
>>
>>2199969
It's not heresy. The guy's a Theological professor. It just talks about the methods for literary critique and reveals a not so surprising truth that most worshippers never stop to think about if the words they recite are the original words.

You think it would be kind of obvious given that we went from Greek to Latin to Middle English to Modern English translations of the bible. Just listen to a weaboo go on for five minutes about missing nuances in language translation of their precious anime and manga and it's not hard to see why some things might overlook the subtleties of it's native language when being translated.

Take for example the word "Pomme de terre" . It is the French word for potato. If you translate it literally you get "Earth Apple". Which would make many native English speakers and botanists laugh at you since there is no such thing as a subterranean apple. Likewise the French word for Germans is "Allemagne". This is derived from the Alemanni people who no longer exist. So if you translated this literally to English people would be confused just who these modern "Alemanni" people are.
>>
>>2199459
There was so little left of each page (because he'd cut so much out) that he just couldn't pinch all of them between two fingers without missing some.
>>
>>2199969
book by a southern baptist preacher < book by peer reviewed professor whose views are very close tot he academic consensus.
>>
>>2200218
>>2200687
Appeal to authority.
>>
>>2199657
>We'll never actually know what the original bible said.
There was no "original Bible" it's a collection of different text from across the centuries.

>>2199864
>what is the Gospel of Thomas
Scholars do the same thing with Thomas as with the canonical gospels; some of it is pretty clearly earlier that other parts.

There was an interesting project in the 90s called "The Jesus Seminar", some very well known biblical scholars and some hangers-on who held seminars and voted on the likely historical accuracy of the Gospels.

Then they released a color-coded book.

There's some major disputes reflected in there, basically about whether or not Jesus considered himself the Messiah and if he considered himself God, and apocalyptic pronouncements.
>>
>>2200705
appeal to authority is only a fallacy if the authority in question is not qualified. Pointing to expert opinions is in fact a valid argument, which you would know if you didnt learn your logical fallacies from 4chan.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.