[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /his/ think of Niall Ferguson?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: OM-Niall-Ferguson-001.jpg (28KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
OM-Niall-Ferguson-001.jpg
28KB, 460x276px
I think he's a very impressive historian, and he has pretty massive balls to go against the liberal majority of the social sciences/academic community.

In particular, his work on the impact of the British empire is excellent, ditto with civilization TWATR (though his use of the phrase "killer app" is cringeworthy).

If you aren't in the mood to/haven't already read one of his books, which are quite long, you can check out any of the many youtube videos of him speaking or presenting a BBC program.
>>
>>2192899
Produces much of what he rails against, i.e. too much personal politics in his analysis.
>>
>>2192931
How could he detach that from historical analysis though, outside of strictly non-political topics (E.G. his analysis of the economy of the Weimar republic)

If you're writing about economic history of anything that took place in the last 500 years, I don't know how you could exclude politics.
>>
>>2192899
>I think he's a very impressive historian
Anything after his rothschild biography is absolute garbage, none of it is original and it is purely ideologically driven.

The dude gets to make programmes on the BBC, so claiming he's brave or edgy is utter nonsense.
>>
>>2192899
Bretty cute desu.
>>
>>2192899
He called the arrogant Nassim ' I'm-right-and-you're-wrong.' Taleb the uncrowned king of Twitter. I think that says enough.
>>
>>2192899
Talentless hack
>>
File: really.jpg (29KB, 616x298px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
29KB, 616x298px
>>2194181
>>
>>2192965
It's actually fairly easy to exclude personal politics. That's the key - personal; one could easily write about what the political factions at the time thought X or Y decision would make A or B difference.

>>2192899
The few of his articles I've read have been dreary Bismarck-style pandering.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.