[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which religion do you believe in?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 37

File: 250px-Religious_syms.svg.png (11KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Religious_syms.svg.png
11KB, 250x250px
Which religion do you believe in people of /his/ ?
Why do you believe in it?
And why do you think that it is the right/superior religion then any other
>>
OP here

Atheists are of course welcome also.
>>
>>2188626

I am a Disciple of The Amazing Dildoni.

I have beheld His Glourie.

All other chodely ways are as dust.
>>
>>2188626
I have this weird on and off relationship with Christianity.
>>
Atheist. Nothing compelling throws me into any particular camp, and I'd feel pretty retarded just to arbitrarily pick whatever faith sounded cool and then convince myself to believe in it (which is what most retards who convert from atheism to religion do).
If you're born and raised into a religion, I get it. If you convert into one after adulthood and don't have a good reason you're a living breathing meme.
>>
File: 1483708380722.jpg (255KB, 1694x780px) Image search: [Google]
1483708380722.jpg
255KB, 1694x780px
>>2188626
>Which religion do you believe in people of /his/ ?
I follow a (somewhat) henotheistic form of the Roman-Hellenic religion.
It is centered around worship of Sol Invictus and incorporates many elements of Neo-Platonism, Gnosticism and Zoroastrianism.

>Why do you believe in it?
A personal religious experience.
>>
>>2188655
me too, man
>>
>>2188737

>A personal religious experience.

what possible experience would direct you towards being an actual roman pagan besides a strong desire to be a faggot?
>>
>>2188817
Wanna know this too desu
>>
>>2188626
Atheist here but each has nice parts to live by and keep as general life advice.
>>
File: 1481985900385.jpg (382KB, 928x652px) Image search: [Google]
1481985900385.jpg
382KB, 928x652px
Christ is my God and I'll serve Him forever, tb.h

>>2188655
>>2188742
Do you anons want something explained? I'm ready to help and I'm sure there's other Christians here, as well.
>>
>>2188737
smells like larping
>>
I believe that Gods die when they are worshipped.
>>
>>2188894
Then you should know icons and idoltary is sinning. Literally only orientation that follows the Bible is Calvinists. Calvinists are the real christians if they would just stop beleiving in that pre destination shit
>>
>>2188626
I'm Roman Catholic, I was born into the faith and when I was a teenager I was having doubts over the faith but the more I thought, prayed, and looked into it the more it maid sense.
>>
>>2188634
Atheists and Protestants shouldn't be welcome, desu.
>>
File: Disc_Sol_BM_GR1899.12-1.2.jpg (230KB, 1076x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Disc_Sol_BM_GR1899.12-1.2.jpg
230KB, 1076x1024px
>>2188817
It occurred while I was following a hiking trail.
I had just reached the peak of the mountain that it lead up.
When I was (what I can only describe as) 'hit' by the rays of the sun.
I was knocked to my feet.
While I was on the ground, I was granted a brief glimpse of Gnosis.
I only awoke several hours later, after the sun had gone down past the horizon.

I know it is maybe not the most exciting story of religious discovery.
But it is important to me.

>>2188899
>smells like larping
I would describe religious 'larping' as attempting to revive a dead religion (Asatru-ism for example).
The faith that I practice, while derived from Roman religion; Is a distinct entity from it.
>>
>>2188920
>Protestants
Because they can prove that you pray to idols and make up your own laws then follow the Holy Bible?

Catholicism and Orthodoxy is just larping
>>
>>2188960
>started worshipping the sun after suffering a heat stroke
>>
>>2188918
>icons and idoltary
Nobody prays to the icons, lad. They're here to help us visualize Christ's life and suffering (and therefore the love he has for us) while on Earth.

>Calvinists are the real christians

You must be joking. What specific Calvinist doctrines make you think this?

>>2188920
Same. God bless, brother.

>>2188966
None of us pray to idols, we only pray to God.
>>
>>2188960
you just fainted, fatass.
>>
>>2188960
There's no way this isn't a troll post.
>>
File: 1482880322890.png (566KB, 454x755px) Image search: [Google]
1482880322890.png
566KB, 454x755px
>>2188966
>failed to link the right post
>then instead of than
>MUH IDOLS
Fucking Protestants.
>>
Buddhism is pretty close to what I think is right. Ultimately I think religion should be an individual endeavor to solidify a moral code and apply it to everyday life, so there really is no correct answer. Those who blindly follow a religion would do well to examine their conscience and think more introspectively.
>>
>>2188975
You literally think Jesus was a white Nordic man with blue eyes dont you?
>>
File: 517099752.jpg (217KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
517099752.jpg
217KB, 1024x1024px
I belive in greek mytologia.
Cause it's badass and true
>>
>>2189010
Are you blind or retarded?
>>
>>2189015
At least choose something real badass like Norse. Odin >>>>> Zeus
>>
File: 1477232233762.jpg (16KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1477232233762.jpg
16KB, 450x450px
>>2188960
>>
>>2188994
>implying im a christian
>tfw a non-christian knows more about Christianity then a actual christian
>>
>>2189033
Kek, Odin live on earth, and who care about Zeus when you belive in primordial divinity like Nyx ( Zeus is scared about Nyx )
>>
>>2189010
No, I don't. Like I said, visualizing Christ helps us with our prayer life. That's why some cultures portray Him with Asian, African or European features.
>>
>>2188967
>worshipping the sun
I do not worship the sun.
I acknowledge it as a physical manifestation of Sol Invictus in our material world.
Because of this, I direct worship at the sun in a similar manner to how Orthodox Christians may venerate an icon or relic.

I would encourage you to attempt to learn about a theology before criticizing it.

>suffering a heat stroke
I did not suffer from a heat stroke.
The temperature was mild, I was well hydrated, the trail was quite an easy walk and I was wearing plenty of sun protection.
I was perfectly fine until the rays of the sun at peak of the mountain hit me.

Also, fainting from heat stroke does not tend to cause people to wake up with repetitively complete cosmologies and theologies in their heads.
>>
>>2188988
You're in a thread full of people who ironically converted to Eastern Orthodoxy because they played EUIV, everything in this thread is a troll post.
>>
>>2188994
Madeburg never happened but I wish it did. 14/88 gas the protestants religious war now
>>
>>2189244
Ahem.. it was CKII
>>
>>2189244
I was under the impression that was due to elements of /pol/ attempting to present Orthodoxy as an 'uncucked' version of Christianity.

I was unaware that a pretty all-around shit Grand-Strategy game could wield do much influence.
>>
Ásatrú because why not
>>
>>2188626
I have a strange relationship with Catholicism. It's the church nearest my heart and I think it is a great source of good in the world. I even try to live my life as a good Catholic should. But I have too many disagreements with Catholic doctrine to actually call myself a Catholic.
>>
File: Constantine Hypostasis.jpg (99KB, 1534x364px) Image search: [Google]
Constantine Hypostasis.jpg
99KB, 1534x364px
>>2190593

Nah, Orthodoxy's influence on 4chan is because of the tireless efforts of our very own Constantine, who revealed to us the sacred mysteries of Hypostatic Union's less obvious corollaries.
>>
I guess I'm a pseudo Jew for the lack of a better word. Like i believe in God in a very christian sense and follow most of Jesus' teaching. I just have huge doubts about him being God's child in a literal sense. I honestly doubt god would ever impregnate anyone. I also don't pay attention to the bible in a set in stone type of way, because it is a purely human interpretation of something greater then we can comprehend.
>>
File: gondola_float.png (5KB, 365x241px) Image search: [Google]
gondola_float.png
5KB, 365x241px
I'm a Taoist.
>>
Christian-Zoroastrian
>>
>>2190627
Sounds like Arianism senpai
>>
>>2188967
that's probably how litterally at least a hundred of sun cults started along the ages
>>
>>2189049
>Odin live on earth
no, he lives in Asgard [spoiler]havent you watched thor?[/spoiler]
Also, Zeus does lives on earth, in the top of totally climbeable mountain and no one ever bothered in cheking if there was anything up there
>>
Honestly, I feel like I've become a religious psychonaut after I read Carl Jung.

It's like I can see patterns of deep meaning in all religions.

So, honestly, I have no idea OP.
>>
Kabbalah

the patrician's Judaism
>>
>>2188655
You're not the only one, m8.
>>
Catholic with a bit of Kabbalahs influence tossed in there as well.
>>
>>2188626
Mormonism.
>>
>>2190863
A friend of mine is a Mormon (from Canada).
He moved to Utah to "be closer to the geological centre of [his] faith".
I went to one of his church events once when we were kids. Nice people, albeit they seemed somewhat closed-minded.
>>
>>2188626
>Bottom row, third symbol
I've never met a Jain.
>>
I believe that there was once truth in the books that nowadays compose the bible, but as foretold the laws were changed along with doctrines so only elect few that travel the earth know whats up.
I dont believe in jesus or giving the other cheek but rather in salvation in God alone and in eye for an eye.
>>
>>2191211
also, through personal experience I've come to believe that some elements that could be confounded with eastern mysticism were present in the original religion, things like white dots in the spirit or meditation exercises.
>>
>>2190617
What in the absolute fuck?
>>
On and off Pantheist
>>
I'm a jew
>>
I dunno how to explain it, perhaps it's only I'm still young and stupid.

I believe in a God/pantokrator than made it all, but I don't belive he cares for humans. Some other forms of more powerful entities, call them devas/angels/demons than are the basis for lots of legends, I believe in them too, perhaps they even uplifted us from Monkeys or played with our ancestors or even today people, there are too many legends to ignore the possibility.
About dead and other plans of existence, I would like it to exist, but I don't really believe in it. I'm culturally christian and it's the basis for my believes, but really my belives are a mess and I tend to adopt things from anywhere for my morals.
>>
Apatheism.
Seems the most logical.
See above.

However, I grew up Catholic and unlike a lot of other people converted to irreligion, I think for better or worse, religion has been a driving force throughout much of human history.

I'd be cautious about saying that society breaks down because more people are becoming atheists since the current situation is muddied with many other issues like the economy and that very few things are being invented now that really transform society. Compared to industrial revolutions throughout the world over the course of the 19th and 20th century.

Maybe we'd benefit from a common the development of a common nontheist religion.
>>
I am atheist, but let's say that thare is a god. How could I deduce his nature? Does anyone have any proof that substantiates the creed in the Judeo-Christian god?
>>
Christianity:

It aligns most closely with the moral law that is self evident in all people, it produces seers and faith healers, and there is simply no other historically reasonable explanation of the creation of Christianity other than the ressurection of Jesus Christ.
>>
>>2191655
I would imagine that such a nature would be impossible to comprehend fully. I mean, say religion is a lie and all those religious stories are actually the product of aliens. I think it would be impossible to comprehend their power and nature, so why should we expect to understand the nature of something with the power to create universes on a whim?
>>
Raised Catholic and still...kinda Catholic I suppose? I feel good when I occasionally go to Mass by myself and lose the modern world in the whole mystical symbolism of it.
But I'm really into Buddhism and believe in reincarnation and generally find Buddhism far more logical. Meditating at an 8th century temple here in Korea is quite the experience.
And I'm into Taoism a bit too, if I may be lewd here then learning some Taoist sexual practices has payed off amazingly..
Personally I sorta buy into the theory that Jesus may have visited India or Afghanistan and learned some Buddhism or been influenced by its circulation around the Greek world from Bactria.
Plus I wanna get into Kabbalah.
I guess all of this makes me a sort of pantheist? I think every religion has some divine essence (except Islam desu).
>>
>>2188626
agnostic but kind of a catholic-muslim or muslim-catholic

dead serious too
>>
File: doc.png (1MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
doc.png
1MB, 800x600px
>>2191240
Yep.

Thou Art God Brother
>>
File: AA.gif (5KB, 296x293px) Image search: [Google]
AA.gif
5KB, 296x293px
>>2188626
Alcoholics Anonymous
>>
>>2191671
Taoist sex? Sounds interesting.
>>
>>2188975
Im a Protestant who believes Christians need to more or less unite to fight for the basic truths we all understand. Once we get someone to accept Christianity we can then expose them our cross-denomination dialogues to allow them to figure out which makes most sense to them. I think true Christians in any church are saved, I just think there are fewer true Christians in the Catholic church, mostly because I was raised Catholic and met them. But just by believing in the sacraments doesnt make you damned. I think all denominations need to "crack down" though and expressly tell people in their churches that "no, jesus is god, no, he wasnt super nice and tolerant, no, he wasnt just enlightened, and yes, you HAVE to go to church."
>>
>>2188626
I believe in Roman Catholicism. I believe its Doctrine is the perfect mix of perennial traditionalism and unique spiritual truths.
>>
Deist desu

There is an omnipotent, eternal creator which will never be fully comprehensible to humans, but I don't think the creator directly involved or interested in our lives. I don't believe in an afterlife either.
>>
None. Because the idea of a god (in the western sense at least) is laughable.
>>
File: marble altar-01.jpg (123KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
marble altar-01.jpg
123KB, 500x375px
>>2188918
>>Everything protestant-tier (protties, 'Murican protties, Bible seekers, restorationists etc.)

Exodus, chapter 37.
tl;dr God openly and directly commanded his temples to look like that. Sorry.
>>
>>2188626
Thelema
Uttara Kaula Trika
Vajrayana
Traditional Witchcraft
Afro-Carib Diaspora Religions
Ophitism
>>
Abrahamic religions are fucking OP.
>>
>>2188626
I like Christianity for its stance on the soul and body. In Christianity, your bodily desires are good things, but they can be corrupted. This is different from some religions where the goal is to get away from desires.
>>
>>2191239
>>2190617
That post was just some trolling. Look at the tripcode, it's different from the real Constantine's.
>>
>>2191677
What do you like about Islam?

I don't know anything about it, so I'm genuinely curious.
>>
Former Episcopal Protestant converting to Eastern Orthodoxy. I had always been a faithful christian but I never really looked into the doctrinal differences between churches. When I did, I found out that our previous head of the Episcopal church said that Jesus is not the only way to salvation among other heretical doctrines.
>>
>>2191810
what about ascetic practices?
>>
Confucianism
>>
>>2188626
I am an atheist, I myself am a religious naturalist who values life as his central deity and doesn't subscribe to any organized religion.
But I do belive the Jains to be fundementaly right, the same beliefs as mine but interpreted through the eyes of ancients who did not know the world from the perspective of modern science. That explains how they believe in a body-soul duality and I am a monist but we are explaining the same phenomenon, the spark of life, what sets apart the living from the non-living.
The Jains see this too, that we are both right and are explaining the same thing from different perspectives "three blind men try to determine what an elephant looks like, one touches the ass, one touches the thigh and one touches the trunk, they all argue to desribe the elephant from their own point of veiw, which is correct, but they all miss the bigger picture.
This non-absolutism or anventkavada means that any phenomenon can be described from infinite viewpoints.
Other examples of this is the Jains supernatural concept of karma and my naturalistic concept of a 'causal ghost' that each of our actions has a reaction that will effect reality for eternity and thus we must chose our actions wisely, or their reincarnation and my view that death begets new life and our lives are recycled. Our respect for the complexity of living systems. And aparighara.
Jains are sick
>>
>>2191942
Sometimes it's good to practice asceticism so that your desires don't take the place of God in your life. But that doesn't mean desires and fulfillment of those desires are always bad.

In Christianity, when we die we believe we'll get a new uncorrupted body so that we can have desires and fulfill them without it becoming a cause of sin.
>>
>>2191227
>white dots in the spirit or meditation exercises

?
>>
>>2188626
The religious, like the conservative, mostly exist only in an ironic LARP-ey sense online
>>
Ancestor worship is the only valid religion if you're not a mutt.
>>
Eastern Orthodoxy. It's very beautiful and among everything I've looked into, it gives the most satisfying answers to my questions. I find the arguments for Eastern Orthodoxy over Oriental Orthodoxy or Catholicism to be convincing as well.
>>
>>2188626
>Atheism
>religion
>>
>>2192844
sounds interesting
>>
>>2188626
none.
I beleive atheism is the best belief to be.
Religions are by design flawded.
>>
>>2188626
Hinduism.
>>
>>2192988
>best belief
Atheism is not belief, it's disbelief.
>>
>>2193015
That would be agnostism m8.

I personally don't have doubt god is man made creation in the same way feeries, trolls, djins and mythological creatures are.
>>
>>2193015
btw I'm agnostic, but I would prefer atheism before religion if I had to choose between them.
>>
>>2193025
>atheism
>lack of belief that God or gods exist
>disbelief in the existence of God or gods
>agnostic
>a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God
>>
>>2193060
>lack of belief that God

A lack a belief in something that can be proven is still a belief since you can't objectively prove that this something that doesn't exist doesn't exist.
>>
File: 1476749023432.jpg (61KB, 470x459px) Image search: [Google]
1476749023432.jpg
61KB, 470x459px
>>2188894
PRAISE JEEBUS
>>
>>2188626
I believe in a god and an afterlife, I would not be able to tell you what either of those are
>>
>>2188960
>When I was (what I can only describe as) 'hit' by the rays of the sun. I was knocked to my feet.

You're like a reverse Saint Paul or something.
>>
>>2191385
Why?
>>
>>2194266
Cult leaders tend to be handsome m8.
>>
>>2188626
Shia Muslim
>>
I'm a christian because of feeling the presence of God. I can't explain stuff but I'm content with that. It's kinda a throw my hands up and say "whatever" and what I'm meant to know will be revealed to me over time.
>>
>>2188626
a mix of all is only the true way minus islam, since thats just a poor mans christianity
>>
>>2194484
>>2194484
>since thats just a poor mans christianity

Elaborate, I'm curious why you say that
>>
>>2194493
the concepts are exacly the same, but for the more uncivilized barbaric cultures, to each his own and all that, but for those muslims out there, christianty is a polished islam
>>
>>2194561
>concepts are exactly the same

Islam is about working your way to salvation, Christianity puts more emphasis on faith (even the more work oriented denominations focus on determinism).
>>
>>2194653
there not differant other than culturaly
>>
>>2188626
I believe in me-ism, where the world revolves around Me and worships Me.

All of you are me-ists but many just don't know it.

There are the illuminated and the blind. The illuminated are those that realize the great god Me and the fact that it is the center of the universe. The blind are bound up in delusion and so will deny this reality.

>Why do you believe in it?

Because it is the truth and the way.

>And why do you think that it is the right

See above, I am illuminated so I know the truth with epistemic certainty. I know.

>superior religion then any other

Other religions can be divided into those that lead you to me-ism and those that worship being blind. IT ALL COMES BACK TO THE ME.
>>
How can you believe in any religion?

I don't understand... why can't a member of a religion see that his reasons for prescribing to any of the other major faiths are about as strong as the reasons for prescribing to his faith?

Also, the risk of not becoming a part of one religion according to said religion's dogma is usually as high as that same risk in the other religions. A Christian will try to convert nonbelievers because God loves them and otherwise they will be harming themselves spiritually just as a Buddhist or a Muslim will.

Also, nowadays it really isn't enough to hear stories of impossible feats... it seems more likely that these were fabricated when you consider that they cannot be replicated and aren't explainable otherwise. Perhaps back in ancient time it was, but we have relentless developed our understanding of the natural world to the point where it would be silly to use a recorded 'miracle' as evidence of something.

In modern times, we also now know of all of the cultures around the world, more or less. Can't one see just as devout believers in other parts of the world, and emphasize with them in every aspect other than their religion intensely with new tools like the internet or when they travel there in a plane, and know that they could have easily been a different religion, one that they do not currently deem correct or true, and been just as adamantly invested in it as their current one?

It seems to me that everything points to that a choice of religion and a belief in one as more true than another is more or less arbitrary. Perhaps you can argue that everybody SHOULD have a religion, and that it will ultimately help you or keep you sincere in some areas or provide guidance for your life. But I don't see how it really makes sense to just pick one as right and the others wrong, when the evidence or reasoning behind one is more or less as strong as the others.
>>
>>2194684
i think everybody has to realize this at one point, right?
>>
>not believing in the Egyptian frog meme god
>not even mentioned in the thread yet
Absolutely heretical
>>
File: thinkysay.jpg (69KB, 340x372px) Image search: [Google]
thinkysay.jpg
69KB, 340x372px
>>2188626
Hindu, aristocratic Nair/Menon family from Cochin. Traditionally we have the Hindu Pantheon that is worshipped e.g Krishna, Rama, Shiva, Vishnu and then there is the Goddess of the Clan/House, a Devi, primarily a War Goddess since we are warrior caste and then fertility, harvest and fortune. She is also the family guardian who 'protects' invoked during ceremonies.

But a lot of bad shit went down, I read some of the old records in our temple, its some insane shit including inter family massacres.
>>
I don't really follow any particular religion, but if someone tried to identify me, it would probably be something like "eastern religion centered new age follower" or some shit like that. Basicaly I'm a fucking hipster believing in all that spiritual stuff like chakras, karma and the like. I believe everything just was as it is from the beggining and no self-aware dude just came and done everything just because. Everything essentially is one energy moving around the place, including you.
>>
>>2188626
Agnostic, used to be an Atheist, until I realised that Agnosticism is the only logical conclusion to reach.
>>
>>2194380
Why? I'm genuinely curious, I don't know what could attract one to that religion.
>>
File: HmyYz0j.jpg (67KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
HmyYz0j.jpg
67KB, 600x776px
>>2188626

>be hindu
>only religion where gods smokes weed
>>
>>2194821
Hey, I've been to Cochin.
>>
File: 5289802774_1ba385992a.jpg (80KB, 386x500px) Image search: [Google]
5289802774_1ba385992a.jpg
80KB, 386x500px
>>2188626
I'm a Santanist.
>>
>>2194883
Why
I mean seriously why
Either youre an atheist so why not just be an atheist or you actually believe in satan and thus must know youre on the side that ultimately loses.
>>
>>2194911
>implying "satanists" aren't solely in it for pissing off Christfags
>>
>>2194912
Right so my first case
>>
>>2194941
No because they believe in all sorts of esoteric claptrap that distinctly separates them from the atheist.

They're basically just like Wiccans except edgier.
>>
>>2194941
That was edgy and cool before you were even alive

Now its just kinda pathetic
>>
>>2194965
>edgy
>cool
pick one
>>
File: mfw.jpg (79KB, 716x547px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
79KB, 716x547px
>>2195010
>tfw you will never go back to the era where edgy legitimately meant on the cutting edge and not just a epithet applied to flamey shirt wearing autists all day
>>
>>2194882
Cool, its an ok place hopefully gets better. Lotta history round those parts.
>>
none
can't be arsed
>>
>>2195024
I found it a nice change. I first flew into Chennai (I was 14, with my parents). It was a bit of a uh, shock?

Cochin was a good contrast for that. Went to see the Kathakali and other tourist-y stuff, ate nice fusion food and the like, and it wasn't as dirty as Chennai had been. Still had men leering at me though, which wasn't nice.
>>
File: 1483318927667.jpg (74KB, 447x620px) Image search: [Google]
1483318927667.jpg
74KB, 447x620px
>>2195037
Oh true, yea it's cleaner, kathakali is ok but it can get boring and hard to understand, a lot of euros come there to learn that and Bharathanatiyam and become pros. Lotta French and Germans study th art there.

Also why were the men staring? Staring at outsiders is rude around where I am from.
>>
>>2195061
> why were the men staring
I was a well developed relatively attractive looking blonde blue eyed white girl. I assume that was the reason.
>>
File: 1481145604250.gif (3MB, 325x185px) Image search: [Google]
1481145604250.gif
3MB, 325x185px
>>2195090
>I assume that was the reason.
Oh true that. I guess if you look out of the ordinary they stare. I get that to an extent being 6'2, I get a lot of people look, but they usually look away once you look back.

When were you there?
>>
>>2195106
When I was 14, so 5 years ago.
>>
>Orthodox Judaism
>It is the religion of my upbringing and of my forebears
>It isn't, necessarily, but its moral codes and ethics are the foundation of modern Western civilization (i.e. Judeo-Christian ethics) and its survival to the modern day attests to the strength of such a moral code.
>>
>>2189227

I know I'm going to sound like a massive larping faggot but I had a similar "encounter" as you but attributed this to Aten due to the rays almost interacting with my as though they were hands from the sun. Likewise the sun was not actually aten, just a manifestation. Did the vision you received from God specifically state it's name was Sol Invictus or did you just infer this?
>>
File: fam.jpg (44KB, 603x604px) Image search: [Google]
fam.jpg
44KB, 603x604px
>>2195111
Nice trips, you should definitely visit Idukki next time, if you do go once of the nicest spots ive been in.
>>
File: activatd almonds.jpg (125KB, 780x585px) Image search: [Google]
activatd almonds.jpg
125KB, 780x585px
>>2189227
>I acknowledge it as a physical manifestation of Sol Invictus in our material world.
then you should do the surya namaskar yoga of welcoming the sun every morning with physical exercise and controlled breathing.
>>
File: freakazoid not important.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
freakazoid not important.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>2194911
>>2194912
I'm literally making a terrible pun here. I'm Buddhist if anything, but that's more of a school of philosophy than religion.

Satanists have a good idea at the core, turn societal privileges granted only to religious groups on their head and reveal the inherent hypocrisy. Essentially they're just a group focues on applying classical cynic thought to religion. They use "Satan" as a figure head to be provocative but also to keep anyone away who wouldn't be open minded enough to question Theological tradition on the first place. Most "real" Satanists are really just atheists that are involved in the politics surround religion and society.

4chan used to have a similar idea behind it (Rules 1 & 2 telling you not to talk about 4chan, chastising people for trying to make 4chan look accessible and friendly, etc)

But then you have the other crowd of try hard edgelords who are Wiccans in everything but name.
>>
>>2195144
I will bear that in mind if I ever go back. Thanks
>>
>>2191891
Dont study Ancient historiography if you want to keep your peace of mind anon.
>>
>>2190627
Try harder
>>
File: Milton Berle.jpg (144KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Milton Berle.jpg
144KB, 1200x1200px
>>2190627
>psuedo Jew

So would you say you're Jew-ish?
>>
>>2193142
"Something that can be proven"
>>
>>2188920
Nietzsche in this case is using allegory. "God" is representative of the moral authority we condemn ourselves with as dictated by societal norms. A "higher power" that commands us to act against our nature. The passage he uses "God is dead" is followed up with " God remains dead. And we have killed him". The argument is that classical morality that was unquestionable and set by the church is now undermined by a new age of logic and cynicism towards everything. Europe was the world leader in science and literature and many old taboos were being undone if not outright discarded.

As Wikipedia puts it: The phrase "God is dead" does not mean that Nietzsche believed in an actual God who first existed and then died in a literal sense. Rather, it conveys his view that because of the advances of the Age of Enlightenment, God is no longer a credible source of absolute moral principles.

So he's asking and lamenting where do we go in the brave new world that is of our own making?
>>
File: 4655746546.jpg (186KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
4655746546.jpg
186KB, 2048x1536px
Coming from another board
Praise Kek
Shaliday /his/
>>
>>2196181
Shadilay
I'm such a heretic
>>
jainism is an atheistic religion with perfect virtues that will lead to you happiness at worst and nirvana at best.

the religion even rejects dogma as a virtue. most underrated religion in the world imo. but the fact that it doesn't come with dogma can be a turn off for attentionwhores and sheeple.
>>
>>2188626
Atheist. Used to be hindu
>>
>>2195122
Pretty much this, except I'm conservative.
>>
>>2188626
i'm muslim
>>
>>2196813
gross
>>
>>2196820
fuck you
>>
>>2196825
lol

Honestly I figured you a troll.

Are you actually a practicing Muslim?
>>
>>2196838
yes
>>
>>2196849
what kind of Jihad do you typically do?

Do you plan on going all the way (get on that fast track to virgins)?
>>
Deist with Christian Values. Also I believe in the afterlife.
>>
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Because I'm not a cuck.

Also a healthy superstitious belief in Kek.
>>
>>2190754
they are the same god with different names
>>
>>2188665
>living breathing meme

People don't say this enough, well keked
>>
Sunni Salafist
>>
File: ProbusCoin.jpg (26KB, 521x268px) Image search: [Google]
ProbusCoin.jpg
26KB, 521x268px
>>2195135
>Did the vision you received from God specifically state it's name was Sol Invictus or did you just infer this?
During the 'event' no name was stated, however I did see a Roman styled radiant crown.

It was only after I had woken up and the specifics of the theology that had been imparted to me had hit me; Did I discover the name 'Sol Invictus'.

>God
There is not one god.
There are two, Sol Invictus and the Demiurge.

Below Sol Invictus there are beings somewhat analogous to the Zoroastrian 'yazata'.
There are many different levels of 'yazata', with the lowest rung being comparable to the local 'kami' of Shintoism.
The highest rung being primary populated with main gods of the Roman pantheon.
>>
>>2197232

nuke when ?
>>
>>2194821
>Nair

Man you guys got cucked super hard by the brahmins.
>>
Heretical non-rabbinic earth based Judaism without the larping
>>
Muslim.

>why?
Monotheism.
>>
>>2198249
christians, jews, and Zoroastrians are monotheistic as well friend
>>
File: 1483579943799.gif (2MB, 275x248px) Image search: [Google]
1483579943799.gif
2MB, 275x248px
Let's turn this thread into an actual theological discussion.

Muh Monotheist bros let's set aside the heresies for a moment and discuss something important.

Is God Wholly Separate from the Material Universe?
>>
absofuckinglutely not Christianity. Garbage religion.

I don't necessarily believe in anything but Judaism and Islam are fascinating.
>>
Zoroastrianism because my sister is pretty hot
>>
>>2198288
>judaism
Nah, shit choice.
"Chosen people" fell out of fashion millennia ago.
I mean COME ON it's MMXVII
>>
I really don't know what I am. I feel very truly there is something else, something higher. Some reason why I'm not our robbing, raping, killing some higher reason. I just don't know if it's Christ, buddah, Allah, Athena etc, I have no idea..But I really feel like there is something else.
>>
>>2198341
b-but muh Kabbalah
>>
File: 1463053234295.jpg (483KB, 724x1113px) Image search: [Google]
1463053234295.jpg
483KB, 724x1113px
>>2191677
>>2194380
>>2196813
>>2198249
>>2198288
What's the appeal of Islam?

How is it different from Christianity and Judaism?
>>
>>2198654
it's just fascinating, all the various sects and the conflicts between them. I guess it's just the Arabic world in general that's interesting
>>
>>2188626
Chalcedonian Christianity desu
>>
>>2197508

It's interesting because in my 'event' the names of gods weren't mentioned (same as yours?) but I just chose the name Aten because of the way in which the rays from the disk looked like hands at first. No allusion of the demiurge though, but was shown was what I later just called the 'Void' which was basically something I can only describe as nothing as in I couldn't even see it. It was there but I just couldn't focus on it. All I know is that it was very very dark. That aspect demonstrated why Sol/Aten wasn't constantly directly involved in our affairs as it had to "hold off" this constant threat.

Likewise in my vision there were other "gods" and they were tiered with the Roman pantheon being on the highest tier along with some others. Incidently the Abrahamic god was present too on the higher tier. I got the distinct impression these beings could move up and down tiers dependant on power but maybe I just misunderstood desu.

Yours sounds very similar friendo. The disk did seem almost crowned so maybe Sol Invictus suits it better. Also tickles my pickle as far as names go.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(26).jpg (272KB, 771x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(26).jpg
272KB, 771x1080px
>>2188665
What is a 'good reason'

which alternative seems more likely?

We are either currently living in a chaoticly ever expanding monster structure that just happened because it had to

or

the universe was willed into existence by a sentient, allmighty divinity that either exists within the confines of a timeless never ending and absolute existence or is itself a timeless never ending and absolute existence

Only a will could bring this universe into existence
a will cannot exist without sentience

that sentience is God
you can choose to worship it or ignore it

fact of the matter is that you owe it everything
and blatantly denying its existence leaves you, like that fucking cartoon cayote, floating mid-air just waiting to fall into madness

all you have to do is look down
>>
>Judaism
>I am ethnically Jewish and grew up semi-practicing, so that plays into it. The universe is incredible and beyond my comprehension and Judaism gives me a language with which to appreciate that despite the fact that I don't believe in a personal god. Also it makes me feel grounded and supported by the past.
>I wouldn't say I think Judaism is necessarily the most right religion but things I like about it include the focus on tradition, philosophical study, argument, community, and being a good person rather than blind faith, openness to pantheism and other non-personal ideas of God, and lack of emphasis on sin, purity, or ascetism
>>
>>2199636
>Only a will could bring this universe into existence
Incorrect.
>>
agnostic-athiest christian-sympathizer
>>
>>2195122
Modern Orthodox here.
Waiting for Moshiach desu.
>>
Born and raised Muslim. Grew up questioning the religious shit my parents were enforcing.

Right now I'm just questioning spirituality in general. I think my best description would be agnostic. But when it comes to the 3 major religions, I'm more inclined to Islam since it makes more sense to me.
>>
>>2200516
Become Jewish.
>>
>>2200532
kek

I think announcing that I'm an atheist would be a much sager option than announcing I'm a jew
>>
>>2200548
Safer*
>>
>>2200548
I mean, us Jews like Muslims as they are considered Noahide, and not heathen shituf Christians.
>>
>>2200568
That's pretty interesting. Islamically speaking, Jews are 'People of the Book' alongside Christians, but my family's hateboner for Jews is massive.

always found it funny how they'd force things down my throat but won't comply with stuff that doesn't suit their ideology. Got the shit beaten out of me when I mentioned the hypocrisy though.
>>
>>2200603
In the Quran I believe it also depicts Mohammed revering the Torah. Furthermore, Jews are able to pray in Mosques, and Muslims are permitted to pray in Synagogues, however we're neither allowed to pray in churches do to them worshipping idols.
>>
>>2200611
Muslims can also eat Kosher food, while iirc Jews can eat halal meat
>>
>>2200620
Yep, that's correct. I'm able to eat halal as well as kosher. The process in which it is done is nearly identical.
>>
>>2200603

Jehovah loves Jews.

Allah hates Jews.

It's time you realized they're two different entities.
>>
>>2200620
Everything kosher is halal.

Not everything that is halal is kosher.

More biblical plagiarism by Mohammad's followers.
>>
>>2200646
Yes, that's true, but there is kosher halal food, in which it is halal food from a kosher facility and was slaughtered kosher-like. Here in New York, it is really common.
>>
>>2200644
Allah is literally just the Arabic word for God. The base Hebrew word is Ellah. Furthermore, use YHWH when referring to the name.
>>
>>2200659
>Allah is literally just the Arabic word for God.

I'm sorry you believe that is true.
>>
>>2200679
Dude, they both come from the Proto-Henraic word El. It then evolved to the Hebrew word Ellah, and subsequently the Arabic word Allah.
>>
>>2200679
That's literally the meaning in Arabic, faggot.
>>
>>2200679
Christian arabs literally refer to god as Allah
>>
>>2200684
Hebraic* typo
>>
File: 1024px-Stele_Sol_Invictus_Terme.jpg (130KB, 1024x499px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Stele_Sol_Invictus_Terme.jpg
130KB, 1024x499px
>>2199556
>same as yours?
As I said, no names were mentioned during the 'event' itself, it was only after I had awoken that I realized that knowledge had been imparted to me.

>No allusion of the demiurge though
Again, the name 'demiurge' is just what I call the opposing entity to Sol Invictus.

Even when I had awoken, the name for the entity that opposite Sol Invictus was not given a name.
I only use the term 'demiurge' to describe it, because the Gnostic understanding of the term is mostly (however not fully) in line with the what knowledge of this entity was imparted to me.

>Yours sounds very similar friendo
I agree.
While the description of your own 'event' seems to indicate that you may not have been granted quite the glimpse of Gnosis that I received.
Otherwise our experiences are quite similar.
>>
>>2194323
It says in the Bible that he was average looking.
>>
Leo Tolstoy version of Christianity.
>>
>>2202324
Whereas Joseph (prophet) was by all accounts a qtp2t.
>>
>>2199636
>Only a will could bring this universe into existence
[citation needed]
>>
>>2189022
>no pictures of the man
>logic dictates he would be a stubby brown man
ARE YOU BLIND?!?!?!
>>
>>2195799
It's a joke, man.
>>
I gravitate a lot towards Buddhism and Taoism, and have some interest in Confucianism and Hinduism. They're a really refreshing perspective in a world shaped by Hellenism and Abrahamic religion.
>>
>>2200516
Islam makes most sense theologically speaking but at the same time I find it least interesting. it's too heavily focussed on fear imo.
>>
>>2200568

Christians are not heathens they are heretics. Muslims dont even care about the torah.
>>
>>2198281

we discovered god in his creation so no.
>>
>>2203675
>implying Christians care about the Torah either
>>
From an "eternal wisdom" standpoint I find buddhism to be very intriguing, but right now I'm an agnostic. I'm thinking of converting to Conservative Judaism or Catholicism but i'm not familiar enough with the history and theology to do something like that. I really think I need to have a religious experience before I can convert to something, though. You guys got any suggestions on how to go about it or is it more of a "sudden inspiration" thing?
>>
>>2188737
Overjoyed to read that I'm not alone. Also had an experience pretty similar to the one you describe anon (except that I wasn't hiking).
>>
>>2188626
I believe in the bare minimum of religion.
I think that there is a supernatural force of good that'll punish evil and award the good at the end.
>>
>>2203675
Tomato / Tomatoe? All I know is the entirety of Christianity bastardized the word of God and marked it the "Old" Testament while making their "New" Testament take precedence. The Quran on the other hand is a mixed bag. From the Muslims that I'm associated with, their Imams say that the Quran is the "perfected" word of God, however one should also look to the "People of the Book" (Jews and Christians) for guidance.
>>
>>2204571
Muslims believe that the Quran is the correct version of the Torah and the Bible. Depends on who you ask but generally it is believed that Jews have gone astray (after cow incident) and care too much about being the 'Chosen people', while christians fucked up and started worshipping jesus as the son of God and concept of trinity (which is blasphemous in Islam). It is also mentioned that the bible has been altered many times by men, which makes it inaccurate and all that shit
>>
>>2204591
Ah, I see. That's really interesting how the other two religions are so focused on themselves, really. Here, in Judaism, anyone including Gentiles can receive salvation by just following the seven Noahide laws, which all come down to: Don't be a dick.
>>
>>2199636

What makes you think that even if there is a creator that the retarded roller-coaster ride of human religious establishment is valid? Why would you think this when history fucking waves in your face just how much human decisionmaking, interference and motivation goes into the formation of religions? It's one thing to go "Maybe there's a creator" and another entirely to go "he's totally out there and he doesn't like it when you shove things up your ass, my priest told me so."
>>
File: 725d5-407el01.jpg (426KB, 812x627px) Image search: [Google]
725d5-407el01.jpg
426KB, 812x627px
The word "gods" is rendered in the plural 2,500 times in the Old Testament.
"Yahweh" was once the Midianite storm god, and "El" the Canaanite sky god.

I believe that back in the Bronze Age everyone's religion looked so similarly that distinctions between one deity cult and another are sort of anachronistic and meaningless.
>>
>>2188626
Catholicism, in part because I was raised that way and in part because it drew me back in after a time of a crisis of faith.
>>
File: 4L_vnUYxWSn.jpg (263KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
4L_vnUYxWSn.jpg
263KB, 764x551px
>>2188626
Obligatory zen buddhist here
>>
Roman Catholicism
I was born protestant but I felt a strong central authority was more in line with my views
>>
>>2204571

Muslim's relationship with the Torah cal be vert negative. Just possessing it will arouse suspicion within the more fundamental denominations. Christians on the other hand see the OT as a must have. I mean if you like Muslims you'd love protestants.
>>
>>2204800
I like people who are Muslim just as I like people who are Protestant. The religions on the other hand I'm not fond of. However, my knowledge of the Christian Old Testament is that it is just a bastardized Torah.
>>
>>2188626
I just believe that if I'm a good enough person in life some god somewhere will want my soul in heaven once I die. Is there an established religion for that?
>>
>>2204827
Judaism. Look up the 7 Noahide Laws.
>>
I was raised Catholic, but I'm not sure I believe.

I still go to church and participate in church life, though.
>>
>>2198654
it's multicultural
Thread posts: 228
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.